release note fixes (7.3 & HEAD)

From
Neil Conway
Date:
This patch improves the release notes (a.k.a. HISTORY), specifically
the "backward incompatibilities" section. It should apply cleanly to
both REL7_3_STABLE and HEAD.

My understanding is that HISTORY is generated from release.sgml, so
I've just updated the latter. Someone should also regenerate
HISTORY...

Since I'd think we'll have at least one more RC before the final
release of 7.3, can someone apply this before then, please?

Cheers,

Neil

Re: release note fixes (7.3 & HEAD)

Date:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> This patch improves the release notes (a.k.a. HISTORY), specifically
> the "backward incompatibilities" section. It should apply cleanly to
> both REL7_3_STABLE and HEAD.

Committed, along with some further editorialization of my own.

> My understanding is that HISTORY is generated from release.sgml, so
> I've just updated the latter. Someone should also regenerate
> HISTORY...

Yes.  I'm not sure how it's done though.

            regards, tom lane

Re: release note fixes (7.3 & HEAD)

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> > My understanding is that HISTORY is generated from release.sgml, so
> > I've just updated the latter. Someone should also regenerate
> > HISTORY...
>
> Yes.  I'm not sure how it's done though.

cd doc/src/sgml && gmake HISTORY && mv HISTORY ../../..

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: release note fixes (7.3 & HEAD)

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > > My understanding is that HISTORY is generated from release.sgml, so
> > > I've just updated the latter. Someone should also regenerate
> > > HISTORY...
> >
> > Yes.  I'm not sure how it's done though.
>
> cd doc/src/sgml && gmake HISTORY && mv HISTORY ../../..

I did try that but my lynx doesn't understand -stdin.  In this case it
was just as easy to manually fix it.

However, I just played with it some more and got it working with:

    $(LYNX) -force_html -dump -nolist /dev/stdin

I had to add -force_html because the file name doesn't have .html.

Does everyone have /dev/stdin?  Do more people have that than a newer
version of lynx that has -stdin?  I have lynx 2.8.3rel.1 (23 Apr 2000).

Anyway, I commited it so you can test it.