regression tests for ALTER TABLE ... DEFAULT

From
Neil Conway
Date:
The attached patch adds regression tests for setting and removing
default values using ALTER TABLE, on both views and tables.

(You'll need to apply the default-values-for-views patch that I sent
to -patches earlier for the regression tests to pass.)

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Attachment

Re: regression tests for ALTER TABLE ... DEFAULT

Date:

Neil Conway wrote:
> The attached patch adds regression tests for setting and removing
> default values using ALTER TABLE, on both views and tables.
>
> (You'll need to apply the default-values-for-views patch that I sent
> to -patches earlier for the regression tests to pass.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
> PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: regression tests for ALTER TABLE ... DEFAULT

Date:
Patch applied.  Thanks.

Neil Conway wrote:
> The attached patch adds regression tests for setting and removing
> default values using ALTER TABLE, on both views and tables.
>
> (You'll need to apply the default-values-for-views patch that I sent
> to -patches earlier for the regression tests to pass.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
> PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: regression tests for ALTER TABLE ... DEFAULT

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Neil Conway writes:

> The attached patch adds regression tests for setting and removing
> default values using ALTER TABLE, on both views and tables.

Regression tests tend to be more useful if they are added to the list of
tests to run during 'make check'.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: regression tests for ALTER TABLE ... DEFAULT

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Neil Conway writes:
>
> > The attached patch adds regression tests for setting and removing
> > default values using ALTER TABLE, on both views and tables.
>
> Regression tests tend to be more useful if they are added to the list of
> tests to run during 'make check'.

I am seeing regression failures and am working on those now.

Re: regression tests for ALTER TABLE ... DEFAULT

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 23:34:59 -0400 (EDT)
"Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Neil Conway writes:
>
> > The attached patch adds regression tests for setting and removing
> > default values using ALTER TABLE, on both views and tables.
>
> Regression tests tend to be more useful if they are added to the list of
> tests to run during 'make check'.

I'm not sure what you mean -- my patch just adds some new SQL to the
existing regression test for ALTER TABLE, it doesn't add any new
tests. Can you elaborate on what else needs to be done?

Cheers,

Neil

--

Date:
Neil Conway writes:

> I'm not sure what you mean -- my patch just adds some new SQL to the
> existing regression test for ALTER TABLE, it doesn't add any new
> tests. Can you elaborate on what else needs to be done?

OK, I see it now.  I've been looking for that test to show up, but it's
there already.

--

Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Neil Conway writes:
> >
> > > The attached patch adds regression tests for setting and removing
> > > default values using ALTER TABLE, on both views and tables.
> >
> > Regression tests tend to be more useful if they are added to the list of
> > tests to run during 'make check'.
>
> I am seeing regression failures and am working on those now.

Don't you ever run the tests before checking stuff in?

--

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > Regression tests tend to be more useful if they are added to the list of
> > > tests to run during 'make check'.
> >
> > I am seeing regression failures and am working on those now.
>
> Don't you ever run the tests before checking stuff in?

Nope.  I do it once a batch is checked in.  I assume submitters have
already done it.  Too much work.

Re: regression tests for ALTER TABLE ... DEFAULT

Date:
>> Don't you ever run the tests before checking stuff in?

> ... Nope.  I do it once a batch is checked in.  I assume submitters have
> already done it.  Too much work.

Whether or not you assume that the submitter ran regress tests, it's
unsafe to assume that a several-days-old patch is still good against
current CVS tip.  Especially not when you get merge failures, as you
certainly must have in this case.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Don't you ever run the tests before checking stuff in?
>
> > ... Nope.  I do it once a batch is checked in.  I assume submitters have
> > already done it.  Too much work.
>
> Whether or not you assume that the submitter ran regress tests, it's
> unsafe to assume that a several-days-old patch is still good against
> current CVS tip.  Especially not when you get merge failures, as you
> certainly must have in this case.

Proper patch testing requires initdb and regression tests.  I do those
at the end of a batch of patches, not for each one.

If you want to agitate that there are problems with my patch
application, go ahead.