Re: OpenUnix 8 Patchj

From
Larry Rosenman
Date:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010730 09:45]:
> > * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010729 22:36]:
> > >
> > > I can patch configure.in, but not config.*.  That comes from autoconf.
> > The problem is the config.guess and config.sub NEED TO BE UPDATED
> > to recognize OpenUNIX 8.
> >
> > How do we get autoconf and the config/* directory updated in OUR CVS?
> >

> Marc has to update autoconf on the CVS server.
Err, we ship config.guess and config.sub in our CVS, what I did was
pull those two files from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/config per the
instructions when I picked up OU8.

Why can't we just update that?

LER

Re: Re: OpenUnix 8 Patchj

Date:
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> Err, we ship config.guess and config.sub in our CVS, what I did was
> pull those two files from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/config per the
> instructions when I picked up OU8.

> Why can't we just update that?

If autoconf releases were happening on a regular basis, we could get
away with just tracking the released version of autoconf for these
files.  However, they aren't and we can't.  Our past practice has been
to pull config.guess and config.sub from the autoconf project's CVS tree
whenever we approach a release, and that's what I think we should do
again as 7.2 approaches.

Peter E. is probably more up on this than I am --- let's postpone the
discussion till he returns from vacation.  I see no reason to be in
a hurry about it.

Meanwhile, Larry, if you have any issues with the versions of these
files that are on the GNU servers then you need to talk to the upstream
folks.  I definitely do not believe in distributing copies that we've
modified for ourselves.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Re: OpenUnix 8 Patchj

From
Larry Rosenman
Date:
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [010730 18:03]:
> Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> > Err, we ship config.guess and config.sub in our CVS, what I did was
> > pull those two files from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/config per the
> > instructions when I picked up OU8.
>
> > Why can't we just update that?
>
> If autoconf releases were happening on a regular basis, we could get
> away with just tracking the released version of autoconf for these
> files.  However, they aren't and we can't.  Our past practice has been
> to pull config.guess and config.sub from the autoconf project's CVS tree
> whenever we approach a release, and that's what I think we should do
> again as 7.2 approaches.
>
> Peter E. is probably more up on this than I am --- let's postpone the
> discussion till he returns from vacation.  I see no reason to be in
> a hurry about it.
>
> Meanwhile, Larry, if you have any issues with the versions of these
> files that are on the GNU servers then you need to talk to the upstream
> folks.  I definitely do not believe in distributing copies that we've
> modified for ourselves.
I didn't modify them.  I just pulled them from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config and diff'ed them against our CVS to
generate the patch.

I didn't touch byte one.

They DID pick up the necessary change for OpenUnix 8.

Larry

>             regards, tom lane

Autoconf 2.50 is out (was Re: Re: OpenUnix 8 Patch)

I wrote:
> If autoconf releases were happening on a regular basis, we could get
> away with just tracking the released version of autoconf for these
> files.  However, they aren't and we can't.

Just moments after writing that, I was startled to read on another
mailing list that the long-mythical Autoconf 2.50 is released!

We should probably consider updating from autoconf 2.13 as our project
standard to 2.50.  However, I'd recommend waiting till Peter E. returns
from his vacation to see what his opinion about it is.  IIRC, he's been
following that project, which I have not been.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Autoconf 2.50 is out (was Re: Re: OpenUnix 8 Patch)

From
Larry Rosenman
Date:
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [010730 18:34]:
> I wrote:
> > If autoconf releases were happening on a regular basis, we could get
> > away with just tracking the released version of autoconf for these
> > files.  However, they aren't and we can't.
>
> Just moments after writing that, I was startled to read on another
> mailing list that the long-mythical Autoconf 2.50 is released!
>
> We should probably consider updating from autoconf 2.13 as our project
> standard to 2.50.  However, I'd recommend waiting till Peter E. returns
> from his vacation to see what his opinion about it is.  IIRC, he's been
> following that project, which I have not been.
I also see LOTS of complaints about compat issues, which is why I just
pulled the 2 files from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config when I
generated that patch.   Looks like they updated them again today:

$ ftp ftp.gnu.org
Connected to gnuftp.gnu.org.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.0pre10 Server (ProFTPD) [gnuftp.gnu.org]
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
230-If you have any problems with the GNU software or its downloading,
please
 refer your questions to <gnu@gnu.org>.

 There are several mirrors of this archive, a complete list can be
found on
 http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html. Please use one of the mirrors if
possible.

 Archives of the GNU mailing lists can be found in
 ftp://ftp-mailing-list-archives.gnu.org/.

 Please note that the directory structure on ftp.gnu.org was
redisorganzied
 fairly recently, such that there is a directory for each program.
One side
 effect of this is that if you cd into the gnu directory, and do
 > ls emacs*
 you will get a list of all the files in the emacs directory, but it
will not
 be obvious from the ls output that you have to `cd emacs' before you
can
 download those files.

 Note further the non-GNU programs that were formerly in gnu/ have
moved to
 gnu/non-gnu/.  Most of them were just pointers in the format
program.README.
 If you are looking for such a file, be sure to check gnu/non-gnu/.
230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd pub/gnu/config
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> pwd
257 "/gnu/config" is current directory.
ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
-rw-r--r--   1 ftp      ftp         38214 Jul 30 14:00 config.guess
-rw-r--r--   1 ftp      ftp         27872 Jul 30 14:00 config.sub
226-Transfer complete.
226 Quotas off
ftp>

Larry

>             regards, tom lane

Re: Re: OpenUnix 8 Patchj

From
Larry Rosenman
Date:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010730 19:10]:
> > > Meanwhile, Larry, if you have any issues with the versions of these
> > > files that are on the GNU servers then you need to talk to the upstream
> > > folks.  I definitely do not believe in distributing copies that we've
> > > modified for ourselves.
> > I didn't modify them.  I just pulled them from
> > ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config and diff'ed them against our CVS to
> > generate the patch.
> >
> > I didn't touch byte one.
> >
> > They DID pick up the necessary change for OpenUnix 8.
>
> Which I think means we just need to update autoconf on hub.org.  At
> least that is where I run autoconf so I am sure I have our standard
> version.
Don't think so, as I said elsewhere, there are compat issues with
2.50 of Autoconf.

If you would TRY my patch you would see that it works.

I *DO* need others to test, however, as there *MAY* be other changes
in naming from what we had to these.

LER

Re: OpenUnix 8 Patchj

Date:
> * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010730 09:45]:
> > > * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010729 22:36]:

> > > The problem is the config.guess and config.sub NEED TO BE UPDATED
> > > to recognize OpenUNIX 8.
> > >
> > > How do we get autoconf and the config/* directory updated in OUR CVS?
> > >

> > Marc has to update autoconf on the CVS server.
> Err, we ship config.guess and config.sub in our CVS, what I did was
> pull those two files from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/config per the
> instructions when I picked up OU8.
>
> Why can't we just update that?

Because when I run autoconf for another configure.in change, your
changes get blown away.

Re: Re: OpenUnix 8 Patchj

Date:

Date:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010730 18:42]:
> > * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010730 09:45]:

> > > Marc has to update autoconf on the CVS server.
> > Err, we ship config.guess and config.sub in our CVS, what I did was
> > pull those two files from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/config per the
> > instructions when I picked up OU8.
> >
> > Why can't we just update that?
>
> Because when I run autoconf for another configure.in change, your
> changes get blown away.
no they won't.  the changes are in our source tree......

LER

Re: Re: OpenUnix 8 Patchj

From
Larry Rosenman
Date:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010730 19:15]:
> > > Which I think means we just need to update autoconf on hub.org.  At
> > > least that is where I run autoconf so I am sure I have our standard
> > > version.
> > Don't think so, as I said elsewhere, there are compat issues with
> > 2.50 of Autoconf.
> >
> > If you would TRY my patch you would see that it works.
> >
> > I *DO* need others to test, however, as there *MAY* be other changes
> > in naming from what we had to these.
>
> I just can't go in there and start changing those files, especially
> since I don't know where they originally came from or who added them.
> Let's wait and see if the proper person appears.  If no one shows up, we
> will have to struggle through it.
OK, but I'm broken for CVS updates until this gets in for OU8.

LER

Re: Re: OpenUnix 8 Patchj

Date:

Date:
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [010730 19:56]:
> Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> >> Which I think means we just need to update autoconf on hub.org.  At
> >> least that is where I run autoconf so I am sure I have our standard
> >> version.
>
> > Don't think so, as I said elsewhere, there are compat issues with
> > 2.50 of Autoconf.
>
> It'd certainly be folly to switch without Peter's goahead --- unless
> someone else wants to take over his position as configure-meister...
When is Peter expected back?

LER

>             regards, tom lane

Re: Re: OpenUnix 8 Patchj

Date:

Date:
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> When is Peter expected back?

Sometime in August, I think.  Check the archives for his last few
postings --- he mentioned what his schedule was before he left, IIRC.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Re: OpenUnix 8 Patchj

Date:
>> Err, we ship config.guess and config.sub in our CVS, what I did was
>> pull those two files from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/config per the
>> instructions when I picked up OU8.
>>
>> Why can't we just update that?

> Because when I run autoconf for another configure.in change, your
> changes get blown away.

You're missing the point, Bruce.  config.guess and config.sub are not
configure outputs, they are independent source files.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Autoconf 2.50 is out (was Re: Re: OpenUnix 8 Patch)

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> Just moments after writing that, I was startled to read on another
> mailing list that the long-mythical Autoconf 2.50 is released!

Last I checked 2.51 was also released.  AC 2.50 had some quality issues in
my mind which were probably fixed by now.  If we see a need we can update;
I suppose it depends on the release schedule.  (Note that some non-trivial
patches will be needed before 2.5x will work on our configure.in.  I have
these mostly worked out.)

Re: [HACKERS] Re: Autoconf 2.50 is out (was Re: Re: OpenUnix 8 Patch)

Date:
> Last I checked 2.51 was also released.  AC 2.50 had some quality issues in
> my mind which were probably fixed by now.  If we see a need we can update;
> I suppose it depends on the release schedule.  (Note that some non-trivial
> patches will be needed before 2.5x will work on our configure.in.  I have
> these mostly worked out.)

I think it's your call whether to do it now or wait.  It'd be nice not
to have the project's version of Autoconf be a moving target, however
--- if the various developers who commit configure changes don't all
have the same Autoconf that's on hub.org, we have problems.  If you
think there's likely to be a 2.52 soon, maybe we should wait.

Another thing to ask is what the newer autoconf will buy us.  I remember
you mentioning some things that sounded nice, but I forget details.

As far as schedule goes, I'm still thinking 7.2 beta by the end of
August, but that's just MHO.

Date:
* Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> [010805 14:51]:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > Just moments after writing that, I was startled to read on another
> > mailing list that the long-mythical Autoconf 2.50 is released!
>
> Last I checked 2.51 was also released.  AC 2.50 had some quality issues in
> my mind which were probably fixed by now.  If we see a need we can update;
> I suppose it depends on the release schedule.  (Note that some non-trivial
> patches will be needed before 2.5x will work on our configure.in.  I have
> these mostly worked out.)
The patch I submitted was from the FTP site.  Can you at least commit
those?