Cygwin contrib patch

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
The attached patch enables the contrib subtree to build cleanly under
Cygwin with the possible exception of mSQL-interface.  Since I don't
have mSQL installed, I skipped this tool.

Except for dealing with a missing getopt.h (oid2name) and HUGE (seg),
the bulk of the patch uses the standard PostgreSQL approach to deal with
Windows DLL issues.

I tested the build aspect of this patch under Cygwin and Linux without
any ill affects.  Note that I did not actually attempt to test the code
for functionality.

The procedure to apply the patch is as follows:

    $ # save the attachment as /tmp/contrib.patch
    $ # change directory to the top of the PostgreSQL source tree
    $ patch -p0 </tmp/contrib.patch

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235

Re: Cygwin contrib patch

Date:

> The attached patch enables the contrib subtree to build cleanly under
> Cygwin with the possible exception of mSQL-interface.  Since I don't
> have mSQL installed, I skipped this tool.
>
> Except for dealing with a missing getopt.h (oid2name) and HUGE (seg),
> the bulk of the patch uses the standard PostgreSQL approach to deal with
> Windows DLL issues.
>
> I tested the build aspect of this patch under Cygwin and Linux without
> any ill affects.  Note that I did not actually attempt to test the code
> for functionality.
>
> The procedure to apply the patch is as follows:
>
>     $ # save the attachment as /tmp/contrib.patch
>     $ # change directory to the top of the PostgreSQL source tree
>     $ patch -p0 </tmp/contrib.patch
>
> Jason
>
> --
> Jason Tishler
> Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
> Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
> 82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
> Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: Cygwin contrib patch

Date:
Patch applied.  I manually updated dblink because it was too new for
your patch.

> The attached patch enables the contrib subtree to build cleanly under
> Cygwin with the possible exception of mSQL-interface.  Since I don't
> have mSQL installed, I skipped this tool.
>
> Except for dealing with a missing getopt.h (oid2name) and HUGE (seg),
> the bulk of the patch uses the standard PostgreSQL approach to deal with
> Windows DLL issues.
>
> I tested the build aspect of this patch under Cygwin and Linux without
> any ill affects.  Note that I did not actually attempt to test the code
> for functionality.
>
> The procedure to apply the patch is as follows:
>
>     $ # save the attachment as /tmp/contrib.patch
>     $ # change directory to the top of the PostgreSQL source tree
>     $ patch -p0 </tmp/contrib.patch
>
> Jason
>
> --
> Jason Tishler
> Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
> Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
> 82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
> Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: Cygwin contrib patch

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Bruce,

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 05:38:19PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Patch applied.

Thanks.

> I manually updated dblink because it was too new for your patch.

Actually, I forgot to supply the "-d" option to cvs update -- just like
I usually do.  Sigh...

Attached is a patch to deal with the ones that I missed the first time
around.  I tested this patch under Cygwin and Linux.

Note that I only changed dblink's Makefile in the most minimal way
to fix the link problem under Cygwin (i.e., use the link rule from
Makefile.shlib instead).  dblink's Makefile should probably be further
patched to be consistent with the other PostgreSQL Makefiles.

The procedure to apply the patch is as follows:

    $ # save the attachment as /tmp/contrib2.patch
    $ cd contrib
    $ patch -p0 </tmp/contrib2.patch

Thanks,
Jason

--

Date:
Jason Tishler <Jason.Tishler@dothill.com> writes:
> Actually, I forgot to supply the "-d" option to cvs update -- just like
> I usually do.  Sigh...

Tip: you can make cvs' default behavior a little saner by setting up a
~/.cvsrc file.  Mine is

cvs -z3
update -d -P
checkout -P

            regards, tom lane

Re: Cygwin contrib patch

Date:
Thanks.  Patch applied.

> Bruce,
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 05:38:19PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Patch applied.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > I manually updated dblink because it was too new for your patch.
>
> Actually, I forgot to supply the "-d" option to cvs update -- just like
> I usually do.  Sigh...
>
> Attached is a patch to deal with the ones that I missed the first time
> around.  I tested this patch under Cygwin and Linux.
>
> Note that I only changed dblink's Makefile in the most minimal way
> to fix the link problem under Cygwin (i.e., use the link rule from
> Makefile.shlib instead).  dblink's Makefile should probably be further
> patched to be consistent with the other PostgreSQL Makefiles.
>
> The procedure to apply the patch is as follows:
>
>     $ # save the attachment as /tmp/contrib2.patch
>     $ cd contrib
>     $ patch -p0 </tmp/contrib2.patch
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>
> --
> Jason Tishler
> Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
> Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
> 82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
> Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: Cygwin contrib patch

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Tom,

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 02:44:52PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jason Tishler <Jason.Tishler@dothill.com> writes:
> > Actually, I forgot to supply the "-d" option to cvs update -- just like
> > I usually do.  Sigh...
>
> Tip: you can make cvs' default behavior a little saner by setting up a
> ~/.cvsrc file.  Mine is
>
> cvs -z3
> update -d -P
> checkout -P

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately, this means that I can't use the "I
forgot the -d option" excuse anymore. :,)

Jason

--

Date:
> Tom,
>
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 02:44:52PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Jason Tishler <Jason.Tishler@dothill.com> writes:
> > > Actually, I forgot to supply the "-d" option to cvs update -- just like
> > > I usually do.  Sigh...
> >
> > Tip: you can make cvs' default behavior a little saner by setting up a
> > ~/.cvsrc file.  Mine is
> >
> > cvs -z3
> > update -d -P
> > checkout -P
>
> Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately, this means that I can't use the "I
> forgot the -d option" excuse anymore. :,)

I have a few other CVS excuses.  Email me privately.  :-)