Cygwin Java (make install) Patch

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
The following patch corrects a make install problem when building
under Cygwin.  The root cause of this problem is that (Sun) java is a
native Win32 app and hence does not understand Cygwin Posix style paths.
The solution is to use Cygwin's cygpath utility to convert the Posix style
JDBC installation directory path into a Win32 one before invoking ant.

I'm not sure if my patch is the best way to correct this issue but
my goal was to confine the Cygwin specific constructs to

    src/makefiles/Makefile.win

I tested the patch on Linux without any ill effects.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235

Re: Cygwin Java (make install) Patch

Date:
Looks good to me.

I will try to apply it withing the next 48 hours.

> The following patch corrects a make install problem when building
> under Cygwin.  The root cause of this problem is that (Sun) java is a
> native Win32 app and hence does not understand Cygwin Posix style paths.
> The solution is to use Cygwin's cygpath utility to convert the Posix style
> JDBC installation directory path into a Win32 one before invoking ant.
>
> I'm not sure if my patch is the best way to correct this issue but
> my goal was to confine the Cygwin specific constructs to
>
>     src/makefiles/Makefile.win
>
> I tested the patch on Linux without any ill effects.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>
> --
> Jason Tishler
> Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
> Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
> 82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
> Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: Cygwin Java (make install) Patch

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Bruce,

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 11:44:40AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Looks good to me.
>
> Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:
>
>     http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches
>
> I will try to apply it withing the next 48 hours.

Thanks!

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

Re: Cygwin Java (make install) Patch

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Jason Tishler writes:

> The following patch corrects a make install problem when building
> under Cygwin.  The root cause of this problem is that (Sun) java is a
> native Win32 app and hence does not understand Cygwin Posix style paths.
> The solution is to use Cygwin's cygpath utility to convert the Posix style
> JDBC installation directory path into a Win32 one before invoking ant.

I'd like $(javadir) as the variable name, because non-JDBC things also get
installed there.  Other than that, okay.  What kind of program is 'ant' on
Cygwin?  Maybe it could take care of that itself in a future release?

Re: Cygwin Java (make install) Patch

Date:
> Jason Tishler writes:
>
> > The following patch corrects a make install problem when building
> > under Cygwin.  The root cause of this problem is that (Sun) java is a
> > native Win32 app and hence does not understand Cygwin Posix style paths.
> > The solution is to use Cygwin's cygpath utility to convert the Posix style
> > JDBC installation directory path into a Win32 one before invoking ant.
>
> I'd like $(javadir) as the variable name, because non-JDBC things also get
> installed there.  Other than that, okay.  What kind of program is 'ant' on
> Cygwin?  Maybe it could take care of that itself in a future release?

Ant is a java binary similar to make that reads an XML file just like
make reads a Makefile.

Re: Cygwin Java (make install) Patch

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Peter,

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 06:04:02PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Jason Tishler writes:
> > The following patch corrects a make install problem when building
> > under Cygwin.  The root cause of this problem is that (Sun) java is a
> > native Win32 app and hence does not understand Cygwin Posix style paths.
> > The solution is to use Cygwin's cygpath utility to convert the Posix style
> > JDBC installation directory path into a Win32 one before invoking ant.
>
> I'd like $(javadir) as the variable name, because non-JDBC things also get
> installed there.

I will redo my patch to use $(javadir) instead.

> Other than that, okay.

I appreciate your concurrence.

> What kind of program is 'ant' on Cygwin?

ant on Cygwin is the same as it is on Unix -- a shell script.  Assuming
that you have installed ant, you can peruse it.  When I did, I was very
surprise to see how Cygwin friendly that it was.  Unfortunately, the
friendliness (i.e., use of cygpath) does not extend to java properties
(e.g., -Dinstall.directory=...) passed into the ant script via the
command line.

> Maybe it could take care of that itself in a future release?

I would personally appreciate this enhancement but I don't expect that
it will occur.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

Re: Cygwin Java (make install) Patch

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Peter,

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 12:39:20PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 06:04:02PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Jason Tishler writes:
> > > The following patch corrects a make install problem when building
> > > under Cygwin.  The root cause of this problem is that (Sun) java is a
> > > native Win32 app and hence does not understand Cygwin Posix style paths.
> > > The solution is to use Cygwin's cygpath utility to convert the Posix style
> > > JDBC installation directory path into a Win32 one before invoking ant.
> >
> > I'd like $(javadir) as the variable name, because non-JDBC things also get
> > installed there.
>
> I will redo my patch to use $(javadir) instead.

See attached for the above.

Thanks,
Jason

--

Date:

I will try to apply it withing the next 48 hours.

> Peter,
>
> On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 12:39:20PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd like $(javadir) as the variable name, because non-JDBC things also get
> > > installed there.
> >
> > I will redo my patch to use $(javadir) instead.
>
> See attached for the above.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>
> --
> Jason Tishler
> Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
> Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
> 82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
> Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: Cygwin Java (make install) Patch

Date:
Patch applied, but newer version.

> The following patch corrects a make install problem when building
> under Cygwin.  The root cause of this problem is that (Sun) java is a
> native Win32 app and hence does not understand Cygwin Posix style paths.
> The solution is to use Cygwin's cygpath utility to convert the Posix style
> JDBC installation directory path into a Win32 one before invoking ant.
>
> I'm not sure if my patch is the best way to correct this issue but
> my goal was to confine the Cygwin specific constructs to
>
>     src/makefiles/Makefile.win
>
> I tested the patch on Linux without any ill effects.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>
> --
> Jason Tishler
> Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
> Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
> 82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
> Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: Cygwin Java (make install) Patch