126 Error Connecting With psqlODBC 32 bit

From
Denise McGrath
Date:
Hi,

I got your email from the faq page http://psqlodbc.projects.pgfoundry.org/faq.html.  I am having a really difficult time setting up the 32 bit psqlodbc driver.  I have the 9.3 version of PostgreSQL.   It downloaded the psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64 and that worked fine as far as connecting to the database through pgAdminIII, but I need to use a 32 bit because I am running an asp page that connects to the PostgreSQL 9.3 database.

So I downloaded the psqlodbc_09_03_0210.zip latest driver.

Here is the registry information:
HK_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/ODBC/ODBCINST.INI/PostgreSQL Unicode:

Driver: c:\Program Files (x86)\psqlODBC\0903\bin\psqlodbc35w.dll
Setup:  c:\Program Files (x86)\psqlODBC\0903\bin\psqlodbc35w.dll

All access is granted on the bin folder and .dlls.  The .dlls are in the correct path as the registry.  And I still keep getting this error when I try to connect to the PostgreSQL database using the PostgreSQL Unicode driver, and I know the .dll is there?  fyi...there is also a psqlodbc30a.dll in the bin folder?:

"The setup routines for the PostgreSQL ANSI ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 126: The specified module could not be found. (C:\Program Files (x86)\psqlODBC\0903\bin\psqlodbc35w.dll)."

Here is my Data Access Information:
HK_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Microsoft/Data Access/FullInstallVer:

FullInstallVer = 6.1.7601.17514

Is there anything else that I am missing?  Please please help as I have working on this for almost a week with no luck and am completely baffled :-(

Thanks!
Denise

Re: 126 Error Connecting With psqlODBC 32 bit

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 05/22/2014 04:37 PM, Denise McGrath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got your email from the faq page
> http://psqlodbc.projects.pgfoundry.org/faq.html.  I am having a really
> difficult time setting up the 32 bit psqlodbc driver.  I have the 9.3
> version of PostgreSQL.   It downloaded the psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64
> <http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/msi/psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64.zip> and
> that worked fine as far as connecting to the database through
> pgAdminIII, but I need to use a 32 bit because I am running an asp page
> that connects to the PostgreSQL 9.3 database.
>
> So I downloaded the psqlodbc_09_03_0210.zip
> <http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/msi/psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64.zip> latest
> driver.
>
> _Here is the registry information:_
> HK_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/ODBC/ODBCINST.INI/PostgreSQL Unicode:
>
> Driver: c:\Program Files (x86)\psqlODBC\0903\bin\psqlodbc35w.dll
> Setup: c:\Program Files (x86)\psqlODBC\0903\bin\psqlodbc35w.dll
>
> All access is granted on the bin folder and .dlls.  The .dlls are in the
> correct path as the registry.  And I still keep getting this error when
> I try to connect to the PostgreSQL database using the PostgreSQL Unicode
> driver, and I know the .dll is there?  fyi...there is also a
> psqlodbc30a.dll in the bin folder?:
>
> "The setup routines for the PostgreSQL ANSI ODBC driver could not be
> loaded due to system error code 126: The specified module could not be
> found. (C:\Program Files (x86)\psqlODBC\0903\bin\psqlodbc35w.dll)."
>
> _Here is my Data Access Information:_
> HK_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Microsoft/Data Access/FullInstallVer:
>
> FullInstallVer = 6.1.7601.17514
>
> Is there anything else that I am missing?  Please please help as I have
> working on this for almost a week with no luck and am completely baffled :-(

Could you be seeing this:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/537D0BD9.20063.1320DFA8@david.joffe.tshwanedje.com

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 05/22/2014 09:43 PM, Denise McGrath wrote:
> No, sorry.  I forgot to tell you all, I have a Windows Server 2008 R2
> Standard, and it is happening when I click on ADD in the ODBC 32 bit
> Manager, which is C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe.

Are you sure you are not experiencing a variation of the problem David
reported?

In other words is msvcr100.dll present or not and if not, does supplying
it cure the problem?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 05/22/2014 09:43 PM, Denise McGrath wrote:
> No, sorry.  I forgot to tell you all, I have a Windows Server 2008 R2
> Standard, and it is happening when I click on ADD in the ODBC 32 bit
> Manager, which is C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe.

Well I cranked up a 2008R2 instance on AWS EC2 and can confirm the
error. I tried my suggestion of moving msvcr100.dll(actually it had a
version string in it) into the bin directory and that did not help.
Though when I renamed the versioned dll  to msvcr100.dll the error
changed, so it sorts of points to a dependency issue in the psqodbc
dlls. Others with more knowledge of this will need to look at this.

Date:
On 05/22/2014 04:37 PM, Denise McGrath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got your email from the faq page
> http://psqlodbc.projects.pgfoundry.org/faq.html.  I am having a really
> difficult time setting up the 32 bit psqlodbc driver.  I have the 9.3
> version of PostgreSQL.   It downloaded the psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64
> <http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/msi/psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64.zip> and
> that worked fine as far as connecting to the database through
> pgAdminIII, but I need to use a 32 bit because I am running an asp page
> that connects to the PostgreSQL 9.3 database.
>
> So I downloaded the psqlodbc_09_03_0210.zip
> <http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/msi/psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64.zip> latest
> driver.

> "The setup routines for the PostgreSQL ANSI ODBC driver could not be
> loaded due to system error code 126: The specified module could not be
> found. (C:\Program Files (x86)\psqlODBC\0903\bin\psqlodbc35w.dll)."
>

> Is there anything else that I am missing?  Please please help as I have
> working on this for almost a week with no luck and am completely baffled :-(

Anyone have an idea on what is going on here. I confirmed the error
using a clean Windows Server 2008R2 AMI on AWS. I tried to add a 32bit
DataSource and got the same error.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 06/01/2014 01:53 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 05/22/2014 04:37 PM, Denise McGrath wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I got your email from the faq page
>> http://psqlodbc.projects.pgfoundry.org/faq.html.  I am having a really
>> difficult time setting up the 32 bit psqlodbc driver.  I have the 9.3
>> version of PostgreSQL.   It downloaded the psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64
>> <http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/msi/psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64.zip>
>> and
>> that worked fine as far as connecting to the database through
>> pgAdminIII, but I need to use a 32 bit because I am running an asp page
>> that connects to the PostgreSQL 9.3 database.
>>
>> So I downloaded the psqlodbc_09_03_0210.zip
>> <http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/msi/psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64.zip>
>> latest
>> driver.
>

>> "The setup routines for the PostgreSQL ANSI ODBC driver could not be
>> loaded due to system error code 126: The specified module could not be
>> found. (C:\Program Files (x86)\psqlODBC\0903\bin\psqlodbc35w.dll)."
>>

>> Is there anything else that I am missing?  Please please help as I have
>> working on this for almost a week with no luck and am completely
>> baffled :-(
>
> Anyone have an idea on what is going on here. I confirmed the error
> using a clean Windows Server 2008R2 AMI on AWS. I tried to add a 32bit
> DataSource and got the same error.

Well the previous comment was about  psqlodbc_09_03_0210.zip.

With psqlodbc_09_03_0300-x64.zip I cannot even get it to install.
Running Dependency Walker psqlodbc30a.dll shows several issues seen in
the attached screenshot.

I see the same thing with psqlodbc_09_03_0300.zip

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Attachment

Re: 126 Error Connecting With psqlODBC 32 bit

From
Denise McGrath
Date:
Well, guess what?  After much pain, but absolutely worth it, I've gotten it to work.  It turns out that some postgre is compiled in C++ and with Windows 2008, the C++ Redistributable is not installed by default.  So I installed this:

And now I am able to configure the 32bit postgreSQL Unicode driver on my server, and of course I am also able to use it through my .asp page with connection string:

connstr=  "Driver={PostgreSQL UNICODE};DATABASE=dbname;Server=ipaddress;UID=userid;PWD=password;"

I really hope this helps, and thanks to all who looked into it.

Thanks again,
Denise

> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 19:29:32 -0700
> From: adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
> To: denisemichele@outlook.com; pgsql-odbc@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [ODBC] 126 Error Connecting With psqlODBC 32 bit
>
> On 06/01/2014 01:53 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> > On 05/22/2014 04:37 PM, Denise McGrath wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I got your email from the faq page
> >> http://psqlodbc.projects.pgfoundry.org/faq.html. I am having a really
> >> difficult time setting up the 32 bit psqlodbc driver. I have the 9.3
> >> version of PostgreSQL. It downloaded the psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64
> >> <http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/msi/psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64.zip>
> >> and
> >> that worked fine as far as connecting to the database through
> >> pgAdminIII, but I need to use a 32 bit because I am running an asp page
> >> that connects to the PostgreSQL 9.3 database.
> >>
> >> So I downloaded the psqlodbc_09_03_0210.zip
> >> <http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/msi/psqlodbc_09_03_0210-x64.zip>
> >> latest
> >> driver.
> >

> >> "The setup routines for the PostgreSQL ANSI ODBC driver could not be
> >> loaded due to system error code 126: The specified module could not be
> >> found. (C:\Program Files (x86)\psqlODBC\0903\bin\psqlodbc35w.dll)."
> >>

> >> Is there anything else that I am missing? Please please help as I have
> >> working on this for almost a week with no luck and am completely
> >> baffled :-(
> >
> > Anyone have an idea on what is going on here. I confirmed the error
> > using a clean Windows Server 2008R2 AMI on AWS. I tried to add a 32bit
> > DataSource and got the same error.
>
> Well the previous comment was about psqlodbc_09_03_0210.zip.
>
> With psqlodbc_09_03_0300-x64.zip I cannot even get it to install.
> Running Dependency Walker psqlodbc30a.dll shows several issues seen in
> the attached screenshot.
>
> I see the same thing with psqlodbc_09_03_0300.zip
>

> >> Thanks!
> >> Denise
> >

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: 126 Error Connecting With psqlODBC 32 bit

From
chava
Date:
i have tried by adding microsoft.data.odbc.dll manually in
c:\programfiles\psqlodbc\0903\bin
and it is working without errors in windows 7-32 bit, prior to it i was
getting the same 126 error code which was rectified later