60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin

From
Richard Broersma Jr
Date:
--- On Wed, 11/28/07, Finn Lassen <dcio@AxiomInt.com> wrote:

Can anyone else comment on what problems could be causing these slow connections problems?

> Meanwhile, I don't understand why it now takes exactly
> 60 seconds to connect to the database whether I use pgAdmin or my
> connection string from within VB.

This is very odd.  Since you are having a problem with your connection time on both pgAdmin(which doesn't use ODBC to
connect)and ODBC connects, I would assume that you must be having an issue that is non-odbc related.

> I thought I had seen a comment about this somewhere, but can't find it
> now. I've tried changing Connection Pooling in the OBDC Data Source
> Administrator for the PostgreSQL ANSI driver, but doesn't have any
> effect (or maybe just reloading the server configuration is not enough?

If this were an ODBC connection Issue, i would first make sure that all of ODBC logging was disabled on your client
computer. ODBC logging can really kill performance.

The windows ODBC tracing is found in the ODBC Datasource Administrator form -> tracing -> [Stop tracing now] & [Stop
VisualStudio Analyzer now].

I guess it is impossible for postgresql ODBC logging to be taking place since you using a DNSless connection and have
setany parameters to start the logging.

If all of the logging is already off, try turning turning on the Myloging and CommLogin by setting the appropriate
settingin your DNS-less connection string.  If you post these logs, It will help others on the ODBC mailing list to
troubleshoot where your problem is coming from.

Also on a side note, it is important to remember that many of the subscribers to the Postgresql mailing list are
bombardedwith countless emails on a daily basis.

Do to the voluminous amount of emails, I am pretty sure that most subscribers pick and choose which emails they will
readpurely based on the interest generated by the email's subject heading.

So to help encourage more subscribes to participate, it is important to make your subject headings very specific (to
thepoint) and to make them as eye catching as possible.  You'll notice that I've alter your email subject a bit.
Hopefullyit will help get a few more people to join in on this thread.

There is nothing wrong with tackling a very difficult but general problem with postgresql by sending seperate emails
withdifferent subject heading the specifically address only the individual facets of the overall problem.  Different
peoplewill probably respond to different facets of your overall problem.

Regarding the test case I sent to you, how many columns should I try to create in a table in order to reproduce the
problemyou where having with needing OIDs created in your tables?

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: 60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin

From
"Adam M"
Date:
On Nov 29, 2007 12:51 AM, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Wed, 11/28/07, Finn Lassen <dcio@AxiomInt.com> wrote:
>
> Can anyone else comment on what problems could be causing these slow connections problems?
>

> > Meanwhile, I don't understand why it now takes exactly
> > 60 seconds to connect to the database whether I use pgAdmin or my
> > connection string from within VB.
>
> This is very odd.  Since you are having a problem with your connection time on both pgAdmin(which doesn't use ODBC to
connect)and ODBC connects, I would assume that you must be having an issue that is non-odbc related.

60 seconds lag that happens all the time is generally a DNS issue.
Whenever a connection takes that long of a time, and the server is not
loaded like crazy, then it is most likely a reverse DNS issue.
Sometimes a forward DNS issue. The delay is just the amount of time
for the DNS lookup to timeout.

- Adam

Date:
--- On Wed, 11/28/07, Adam M <gnuman1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whenever a connection takes that long of a time, and the
> server is not
> loaded like crazy, then it is most likely a reverse DNS
> issue.
> Sometimes a forward DNS issue. The delay is just the amount
> of time
> for the DNS lookup to timeout.

In this case, the OP's servers is localhost.  Would this indicate the DNS (foward|reverse) issue?

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: [GENERAL] 60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> --- On Wed, 11/28/07, Finn Lassen <dcio@AxiomInt.com> wrote:
>
> Can anyone else comment on what problems could be causing these slow connections problems?
>

>> Meanwhile, I don't understand why it now takes exactly
>> 60 seconds to connect to the database whether I use pgAdmin or my
>> connection string from within VB.

Name lookups. Something is trying to look up a name, failing and it's
timing out after 60 seconds.

Could be DNS, or WINS (or whatever MS' current name resolution system is
called). It could be either end of the connection too, if for example
something on the server is logging the names of connecting clients.

Try a couple of name lookups (forward and reverse) from each end and see
what happens.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: 60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin

From
Paul Lambert
Date:
Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> In this case, the OP's servers is localhost.  Would this indicate the DNS (foward|reverse) issue?
>
> Regards,
> Richard Broersma Jr.

I'd suggest that indicates something else going on the system - a
firewall, proxy, virus scanner that's intercepting the connection and
taking a while to let it through.

I have a similar problem with Trend Internet Security on my laptop - it
has a proxy service built in which will occasionally make my web
browser, email client and other outgoing connection attempts (incl.
sometimes PGAdminIII) take an excessive amount of time before they get
through.

It would perhaps be worthwhile running something like WireShark to see
what network activity is taking place.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator