Re: 60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Adam M
Subject Re: 60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On Nov 29, 2007 12:51 AM, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Wed, 11/28/07, Finn Lassen <dcio@AxiomInt.com> wrote:
>
> Can anyone else comment on what problems could be causing these slow connections problems?
>

> > Meanwhile, I don't understand why it now takes exactly
> > 60 seconds to connect to the database whether I use pgAdmin or my
> > connection string from within VB.
>
> This is very odd.  Since you are having a problem with your connection time on both pgAdmin(which doesn't use ODBC to
connect)and ODBC connects, I would assume that you must be having an issue that is non-odbc related.

60 seconds lag that happens all the time is generally a DNS issue.
Whenever a connection takes that long of a time, and the server is not
loaded like crazy, then it is most likely a reverse DNS issue.
Sometimes a forward DNS issue. The delay is just the amount of time
for the DNS lookup to timeout.

- Adam