Promoting the enhanced branch

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
As any of you who watch pgsql-committers will have seen, I have now
moved the enahnced branch to CVS tip. Specifically, I have:

1) Created a REL-08_01_STABLE branch from CVS tip
2) Moved the REL-07_03_ENHANCED code to CVS tip
3) Bumped the version number to 08.02.0001
4) Standardised filenames and directory names (but not library names) to
reflect that we now only have an ODBC 3.51, Unicode build.
5) Defaulted the ODBC version number to 0x351 in all places (previously
it had different values in different files)
6) updated the Windows installer as appropriate, and introduced a new
version specific element to the path to allow concurrent installation
with 08.01.xxxx.
7) Updated all libnames to psqlodbc35w.(so|lib|dylib|whatever).
8) Updated the release notes.

The code builds as expected on Linux (with unixODBC) and Windows XP with
VC++ 6.0.

Please take a few minutes to checkout the code and ensure everything
looks as it should if you are able.

Thanks, Dave.

Re: Promoting the enhanced branch

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi Dave.

Addition of some information.

> The code builds as expected on Linux (with unixODBC) and Windows XP with
> VC++ 6.0.

VC6 and VC7 are supported in Windows.
Moreover, Only VC7 supports a Delay Load.
iODBC and unixODBC are supported in Linux.

> Please take a few minutes to checkout the code and ensure everything
> looks as it should if you are able.

Preparing environment, it can see soon.
My environment is now confused.:-(

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Promoting the enhanced branch

From
"Dave Page"

Yes, well I don't have iODBC so didn't test that :-p

As for the VC++ version issue - we currently use VC++ 6.0 for all
PostgreSQL/pgAdmin related builds (that aren't mingw based), otherwise
we need to ship VC7 runtimes as well (the VC6 ones are basically
everywhere these days). I've been considering biting the bullet and
doing this anyway, just haven't done so yet. If I do though, I'll
probably start building with VC8 - of I've gotta distribute runtimes,
they might as well be the latest!

> > Please take a few minutes to checkout the code and ensure
> everything
> > looks as it should if you are able.
>
> Preparing environment, it can see soon.
> My environment is now confused.:-(

:-( Give it some coffee - that might help.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Promoting the enhanced branch

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Samstag, 8. April 2006 21:01 schrieb Dave Page:
> 7) Updated all libnames to psqlodbc35w.(so|lib|dylib|whatever).

What is that supposed to accomplish?  If we're dropping the Unicode/ANSI
dichotomy, I'd rather go back to plain psqlodbc.so for the Unix builds.  I'm
not sure about the exact implications on Windows.  But in general I think
this will just annoy people if they have to change their configurations for
no apparent reason.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Promoting the enhanced branch

From
"Dave Page"

Consistency with the actual ODBC version supported - it was
psqlodbc30w.so
(http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/psqlodbc/psqlodbc/Makefile.
am?rev=1.11.2.4&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=REL-07_0
3_ENHANCED) which is clearly wrong if the default build is for ODBC
3.51.

I have no objection if you want to change it to psqlodbc.so though. On
Windows it's a non-issue, though personally I would prefer it to be
psqlodbc.dll. I'd also like to drop the naming variations in psqlodbc.h,
but I'm wary of being too hasty to do that.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Promoting the enhanced branch

Date:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> I have no objection if you want to change it to psqlodbc.so though.

+1 ... that's how the Red Hat RPMs have always installed it ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Promoting the enhanced branch

From
"Alan Potter"
Date:
I had the chance to grab this and build it on Fedora Core 4 and Solaris. Seems to work well.

Is there a planned release date for 08.02.0001?

Thanks,
Alan

[...]

"Dealing with failure is easy: Work hard to improve. Success is also easy to handle: You've solved the wrong problem. Work hard to improve."
-- Alan J. Perlis

Re: Promoting the enhanced branch

From
"Dave Page"
> I had the chance to grab this and build it on Fedora Core 4 and Solaris.
> Seems to work well.

Good, thanks for the feedback.

> Is there a planned release date for 08.02.0001?

08.02.0001 will never be a formal release - look out for 08.02.0100 (only versions ending in 00 will be formal from now
on),but I have no idea when yet.

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----

--
"Dealing with failure is easy: Work hard to improve. Success is also easy to
handle: You've solved the wrong problem. Work hard to improve."
-- Alan J. Perlis

Re: Promoting the enhanced branch

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi Dave.

From: "Dave Page"
> doing this anyway, just haven't done so yet. If I do though, I'll
> probably start building with VC8 - of I've gotta distribute runtimes,
> they might as well be the latest!

Done.:-)
It is built and a test is favorable.
http://developer.pgadmin.org/~hiroshi/psqlODBC

This build is VS2005Express and PSDK-x86
(VC8)
However, nmake spec. is not created yet.

openssl-0.7.8a
postgresql-8.1.3
psqlodbc-08.02.0001(CVS)

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Promoting the enhanced branch

From
"Dave Page"

Hi Hiroshi,

It works well in VS2K5 Team Edition, however, the paths to PostgreSQL
and OpenSSL are non-standard. We should really use the default paths
that each install to for maximum compatibility with all installations.

The attached project file works correctly with correctly with default
binary installations of OpenSSL 0.9.8 (from
http://www.openssl.org/related/binaries.html), and pgInstaller 8.1.3.
Any objections to this being applied?

Regards, Dave.

Attachment

Re: Promoting the enhanced branch

From
"Dave Page"

Forgot to mention - it also cleans up some of the target paths which are
not quite right.

Regards, Dave.