Re: error messages?

From
Antoine
Date:
Resending the message...

We have installed the odbc driver and are using it as our primary access method via vb6. When developing, however, we only get pretty much one error message... something like "The driver does not support this functionality" (but in French, as the doze installs are French ones). This is certainly the only message we get when there are sql errors. Is something wrong here?
Are their more complete messages in English? Can I turn these on somehow?
Cheers
Antoine

--
This is where I should put some witty comment.

Re: error messages?

From
Ludek Finstrle
Date:
Hello,

> We have installed the odbc driver and are using it as our primary access

Which version of psqlodbc? Againist which PgSQL?

> method via vb6. When developing, however, we only get pretty much one error
> message... something like "The driver does not support this functionality"

Maybe you only try unsupported functionality. What mylog output says?

> only message we get when there are sql errors. Is something wrong here?
> Are their more complete messages in English? Can I turn these on somehow?

We don't know how you get the error report. What about SQLSTATE and
error number?

I'm sorry I don't know your situation and you don't describe it well.
Regards,

Luf

Re: error messages?

From
Antoine
Date:
Ludek Finstrle wrote:
> Hello,
>

>>We have installed the odbc driver and are using it as our primary access
>

> Which version of psqlodbc? Againist which PgSQL?

Sorry, 8.01.0105 against 8.1.0

>>method via vb6. When developing, however, we only get pretty much one error
>>message... something like "The driver does not support this functionality"
>

> Maybe you only try unsupported functionality. What mylog output says?

nope, even "slect * from my_table" gets the same.

> We don't know how you get the error report. What about SQLSTATE and
> error number?

it is by getting the err.description from ado 2.6 under vb6. They all
have the same error number. I will give it a go tomorrow.

> I'm sorry I don't know your situation and you don't describe it well.
> Regards,

Sorry again...
Chrs

Re: error messages?

From
Ludek Finstrle
Date:
> >Which version of psqlodbc? Againist which PgSQL?
>
> Sorry, 8.01.0105 against 8.1.0

There is a bug in 08.01.0105 and the fix since 08.01.0106:
| 2) psqlodbc-sqlstate.diff
|    fix sqlstate iin case of error in statement

Please try recent development version (08.01.0107 or 08.01.0106 at least).

Milton: Does it solve your problem too?

Regards,

Luf

Re: error messages?

From
"Milton"
Date:
No.. i´m still with this problem, i use the last revision(08.01.06)

You can see that with application than i sent to you.

> >Which version of psqlodbc? Againist which PgSQL?
>
> Sorry, 8.01.0105 against 8.1.0

There is a bug in 08.01.0105 and the fix since 08.01.0106:
| 2) psqlodbc-sqlstate.diff
|    fix sqlstate iin case of error in statement

Please try recent development version (08.01.0107 or 08.01.0106 at least).

Milton: Does it solve your problem too?

Regards,

Luf

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

patch: error messages?

From
Ludek Finstrle
Date:
> No.. i´m still with this problem, i use the last revision(08.01.06)
>
> You can see that with application than i sent to you.

I hope I solve the problem. I don't know if I don't add another one.
Patch appliead.

Please review and comment

Luf

Attachment

Re: patch: error messages?

From
"Milton"
Date:
It´s seems ok.

However, i expected that the error number is in the property
"rdoError(0).number", not in description, because i guess it´s a default in
the others DB. In the Oracle, Informix and Sqlserver drive, work like this.

Finally, I think the best would be been in the place of the 7 it went the
error number of DB.

You are more experience than i . What do you think about that?

Here you're :-) Please drop me a note if it's ok or not.

Regards,

Luf

Re: error messages?

From
Ludek Finstrle
Date:
> However, i expected that the error number is in the property
> "rdoError(0).number", not in description, because i guess it´s a default in
> the others DB. In the Oracle, Informix and Sqlserver drive, work like this.
>
> Finally, I think the best would be been in the place of the 7 it went the
> error number of DB.
>
> You are more experience than i . What do you think about that?

I'm not much more experienced than you. psqlODBC return 7 for long
time so I don't want change it in 08.01 life cycle. It could break
many application which could depend on 7.

I think you may be able to ask for SQLSTATE separately from description.
BTW SQLSTATE is database backend independant so it could be better
to support SQLSTATE instead of native error number which differ between
databases.

Regards,

Luf