PostgreSQL - linked with MS Excel

From
Nefertiti Nefertiti
Date:
Hello, please help me!!!!

I'm trying to export some data from PostgreSQL to MS Excel.
Now my solution is to copy data on .CSV format and after convert theses files to .XLS format.
I'm a new user of PosgreSQL and I wan't to know if there is a another way to export data from PSQL to Excel maybe through ODBC.
Are you able to help me? Would you have enough patience?
Any information will be very important?

PS: I have WinXP + PostgerSQL 8.0.2  + Ms Excel.
Thanks, so much,
Weymy.

Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 1 Go d'espace de stockage pour vos mails, photos et vidéos !
Créez votre Yahoo! Mail

Re: PostgreSQL - linked with MS Excel

From
Jeff Eckermann
Date:
--- Nefertiti Nefertiti <woymita@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello, please help me!!!!
>
> I'm trying to export some data from PostgreSQL to MS
> Excel.
> Now my solution is to copy data on .CSV format and
> after convert theses files to .XLS format.
> I'm a new user of PosgreSQL and I wan't to know if
> there is a another way to export data from PSQL to
> Excel maybe through ODBC.

ODBC should work for you.  Assuming that you have the
psqlodbc driver installed, and that you have set up a
DSN for the PostgreSQL database, then just go through
"Data", "Import external data", "New database query"
(I don't know what those would be in French, sorry).
Just follow the prompts from there.

MS Query, which Excel uses to get the data, has some
annoying limitations in its functionality, so you may
find that it will not do what you want.  In that case,
a more robust solution would be to write some VBA code
that fetches the data for you (ADO is a good choice
for this).  There are plenty of examples in the MS
Knowledge Base.

The code solution may be overkill, depending on how
often you want to do this import.  If the above
choices are not desirable, PostgreSQL -> .csv -> Excel
may be your best alternative after all.

> Are you able to help me? Would you have enough
> patience?
> Any information will be very important?
>
> PS: I have WinXP + PostgerSQL 8.0.2  + Ms Excel.
>
> Thanks, so much,
> Weymy.
>

> ---------------------------------
>  Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 1 Go d'espace de
> stockage pour vos mails, photos et vidéos !
> Créez votre Yahoo! Mail

__________________________________
Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html

Re: PostgreSQL - linked with MS Excel

From
George Weaver
Date:
Hi Weymy,

You can link directly to your PostgreSQL database from Excel, and open PostgeSQL tables directly in Excel.

You can do this by creating a DSN and .udl file (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2004-12/msg00056.php).

Once you have created the udl file, open Excel and choose File - Open.  Navigate to the directory where you created the udl file.  in the file type selector box in the open file dialog select All Data Sources.  You should see the udl file in the file selection pane.  Select the udl file and click on Open.  You should be presented with a list of your database tables.  If you choose a table, it will be open as a new worksheet in Excel.

HTH.
George
I'm trying to export some data from PostgreSQL to MS Excel.
Now my solution is to copy data on .CSV format and after convert theses files to .XLS format.
I'm a new user of PosgreSQL and I wan't to know if there is a another way to export data from PSQL to Excel maybe through ODBC.
Are you able to help me? Would you have enough patience?
Any information will be very important?

PS: I have WinXP + PostgerSQL 8.0.2  + Ms Excel.
Thanks, so much,
Weymy.

Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 1 Go d'espace de stockage pour vos mails, photos et vidéos !
Créez votre Yahoo! Mail

pgsql-odbc problem in Windows 9x

From
Harry Sufehmi
Date:
Sometime ago I posted problem regarding the ODBC driver not working on
Windows 9x on Microsoft Access.
The workaround then was to delete a table link, then create it again.

I think I've found the right solution to this.  Basically, you need to
create the ODBC link as System DSN - not as User DSN.
I've tried this for several weeks, and have encountered no problem since.

Apologies if this is obvious, but I'm new to ODBC. Hope it helps someone else.

Thanks,
Harry