ODBC release plans?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
With the server release around the corner, should we aim for a release
of the ODBC driver as well?  What are the open issues?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: ODBC release plans?

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> With the server release around the corner, should we aim for a release
> of the ODBC driver as well?  What are the open issues?

Conversion problem with unicode, see my message from Jan 4th.
I also have a numeric problem, which I'll have to trace down the next days.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: ODBC release plans?

From
"Dave Page"

Open issues are on Gborg, though the majority haven't been verified as
actual bugs.

My workload is high at the moment, so I do not intend to try to do a new
release right now (maybe in a week or two?). The Win32 installer will be
and has been shipping with 08.00.0003 which is essentially the same as
.0002 (the last snapshot release) bar a minor fix from Scot. Judging
from the lack of bug reports I've seen on it, it's pretty stable.

Regards, Dave.

Re: ODBC release plans?

From
George Weaver
Date:
Hi all,

I have run into a problem with release 8 that isn't showing up when I switch
back to 7:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2004-12/msg00055.php

Regards,
George

> With the server release around the corner, should we aim for
> a release
> of the ODBC driver as well?  What are the open issues?

Open issues are on Gborg, though the majority haven't been verified as
actual bugs.

My workload is high at the moment, so I do not intend to try to do a new
release right now (maybe in a week or two?). The Win32 installer will be
and has been shipping with 08.00.0003 which is essentially the same as
.0002 (the last snapshot release) bar a minor fix from Scot. Judging
from the lack of bug reports I've seen on it, it's pretty stable.

Regards, Dave.

Re: ODBC release plans?

From
"James M Doherty PGADMIN"
Date:
I had the following problem which I have not been able to run down ?

I use the ODBC driver for my c++ client, when I change the underlying column
from a character varying(400) to Text. The
client now sees this as a memo field. Is there something in the ODBC driver
that makes this assumption ?

Jim

> I have run into a problem with release 8 that isn't showing up when I
> switch back to 7:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2004-12/msg00055.php
>
> Regards,
> George

Re: ODBC release plans?

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> I had the following problem which I have not been able to run down ?
>
> I use the ODBC driver for my c++ client, when I change the underlying
> column
> from a character varying(400) to Text. The
> client now sees this as a memo field. Is there something in the ODBC
> driver
> that makes this assumption ?

By C++ client, do you mean Borland C++ Builder?  The IDE defaults the
field types based on internal assumptions.  You can override them, but
it's a pain.  Let me know if you are still stuck and maybe I can give
you some tips.

Merlin

Re: ODBC release plans?

From
"James M Doherty PGADMIN"
Date:
Merlin,

Yes Borland C++ builder is exactly what I am using ....

Jim

Date:
> Merlin,
>
> Yes Borland C++ builder is exactly what I am using ....
>
> Jim

Well, since a text field is unbounded, the VCL is going to give you a
TMemoField which is really what is supposed to happen, TMemoField being
designed to handle unbounded fields.  By the way, this is not a problem
with the ODBC driver.

So, I'd suggest the following alternatives:
1. Learn to live with TMemoField.  This basically you means you need to
pick up some 3rd party VCL controls, especially a grid replacement, one
that doesn't say 'memo' for TMemoField.  The build it edit control for
memo fields TDBMemo, is ok, but there are better ones out there.

2. Cast your field expression coming in and going out, now it gets
treated as a string field (rebind your fields to the dataset).  Of
course, I gather that kind of goes against the whole reason for going
with the 'text' type to begin with.

Merlin
p.s. If you are doing serious development in C++ builder, I strongly
recommend looking at the Zeos database components.  They are very fast
and access the database directly without going through the BDE. (or
ODBC).

http://www.zeoslib.net

Re: ODBC release plans?

From
"Claudio Duffini"
Date:
We use BCB and Delphi with direct access (libpq 73) via Zeoslib since 3
months.
Seen results and performance, throwed away the PG odbc.
Zeos (6.1.5) does not shine for ADO access, but all the wrappers around
native interfaces work really well.

Regards
Claudio Duffini