ODBC fails connection

From
javier garcia
Date:
I've got MSAccess2000 under WindowsXP and Postgresql7.2 under Linux.
And I would like to use Access as a client.
I've dowloaded the ODBC driver7.2 and when I try to make a source of data I
have three optional drivers:
    PostgreSQL  7.02.00.03
    PostgreSQL+(Beta)  7.02.00.03
    PostgreSQL+Unicode (Beta)  7.02.00.03
I've chosen the first one and I have to fill in several fields in a dialog
window. Here are the fields and my questions:

Data Source: PostgreSQL          ->   Right?
Database: Name_of_my_POstgreSQL_database   -> Right?
Server: IP address of my Linux machine   -> Right?
Port:                       Don't know?
User Name:              Does this user need to be created in the database and
also as a Linux machine users?
Password:             The same question
----------------------------------
I've created a PostgreSQL user but when I try to connect from ACCESS I open
ODBCdatabases; choose Equipment data sources; choose the PostgreSQL (Sistem)
Data source; Accept; and apears a dialog; where I fill in a user name and a
password; butget the following message:

ODBC: fallo la llamada           ->  (the call failed)
Could not connect to the server;
Could not connect to remote socket (#101)
-----------
Please. Any help?

Regards

--
A. Javier García
Water and Soil Conservation Department

Tel.: +34 968 39 63 90
Fax: +34 968 39 62 13

Re: ODBC fails connection

From
Alejandro Alfonso Fernandez
> ODBC: fallo la llamada           ->  (the call failed)
> Could not connect to the server;
> Could not connect to remote socket (#101)
> -----------
> Please. Any help?

Hola! Hello!

    you must also start the daemon width the "-i" option

    _____    - - - - - - - - - Alejandro Alfonso Fernández - - - - - - - - -
   /\___/\   Grupo Universitario de Informática - Diplomatura en Estadística
  /__\ _\/   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 /_/\_\      - "Lo mejor de tu ordenador está entre tu silla y tu teclado" -
/_/ /\_\      Atari Php Asp Wap Sql Dhtml Swf JavaScript Java Xml C Awk Sed
\_\/  \_\    - Email: kawa@gui.uva.es - Web: http://www.gui.uva.es/~kawa/  -
L.Carrol:   Hace falta que corras todo lo que puedas para seguir en el mismo
sitio. Si quieres ir a alguna parte, ­tendras que correr el doble de rapido!
*gpg*public*key->http://www.gui.uva.es/%7ekawa/alexokawa.gpg<-gpg*public*key

Re: ODBC fails connection

From
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Date:
On 17 Dec 2002 at 13:26, javier garcia wrote:

> Data Source: PostgreSQL          ->   Right?

This is the name of the DSN which you set up on the client machine -
make sure it's a "system DSN" rather than a "user DSN".

> Database: Name_of_my_POstgreSQL_database   -> Right?

No - the name of the database on the Linux machine.

> Server: IP address of my Linux machine   -> Right?

Right.

> Port:                       Don't know?

5432 is the default Postgres port, unless you've changed it on the
Linux machine for some reason.

> User Name:              Does this user need to be created in the
> database and also as a Linux machine users?

No - only in the database.

> Password:             The same question

Same answer!

> ODBC: fallo la llamada           ->  (the call failed)
> Could not connect to the server;
> Could not connect to remote socket (#101)

Make sure that you start Postmaster with the -i option, otherwise it
won't accept TCP/IP connections.

HTH!

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell     http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals