Re: [HACKERS] Release in 2 weeks ...

Date:
Emmanuel Charpentier <charpent@bacbuc.dyndns.org> writes:
> Yep ! As of beta4, the ODBC driver is still seriously broken (the
> original libpsqlodbc.so.0.26 doesn't even connect. A version patched by
> Nick Gorham allows some connectivity (you can query the DB), but still
> has some serious breakage (i. e. no "obvious" ways to see views from
> StarOffice or MS-Access)).

I'd be willing to work harder on ODBC if I had any way to test it ;-).

I have a copy of OpenOffice for LinuxPPC but have not figured out how to
tell it to connect to Postgres.  If someone can slip me a clue on how to
configure it and do simple database stuff with it, I'll try to clean up
the most pressing ODBC problems before we release.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Re: [HACKERS] Release in 2 weeks ...

From
Hiroshi Inoue
Tom Lane wrote:

> Emmanuel Charpentier <charpent@bacbuc.dyndns.org> writes:
> > Yep ! As of beta4, the ODBC driver is still seriously broken (the
> > original libpsqlodbc.so.0.26 doesn't even connect. A version patched by
> > Nick Gorham allows some connectivity (you can query the DB), but still
> > has some serious breakage (i. e. no "obvious" ways to see views from
> > StarOffice or MS-Access)).

I think I've fixed this bug at least for MS-Access.
You could get the latest win32 driver from
  ftp://ftp.greatbridge.org/pub/pgadmin/stable/psqlodbc.zip .
Please try it.

However I'm not sure about unixODBC.

Regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: Re: [HACKERS] Release in 2 weeks ...

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> I have a copy of OpenOffice for LinuxPPC but have not figured out how to
> tell it to connect to Postgres.  If someone can slip me a clue on how to
> configure it and do simple database stuff with it, I'll try to clean up
> the most pressing ODBC problems before we release.

I've got a clue for ApplixWare, if you happen to have that package
(US$90).

                    - Thomas

Date:
Patrick Welche wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 08:53:31AM +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> > I think I've fixed this bug at least for MS-Access.
> > You could get the latest win32 driver from
> >   ftp://ftp.greatbridge.org/pub/pgadmin/stable/psqlodbc.zip .
> > Please try it.
>
> How can I just install that file? (ie., M$ Access -> psqlodbc.dll -> real OS)

I don't know if M$-access requires MDAC now(it didn't require
MDAC before). I use ADO and don't use M$-access other than
testing. ADO requires MDAC and pgAdmin uses ADO AFAIK.

> ===== aside:
>
> I just tried installing pgAdmin - the installer says:
>
> This setup requires at least version 2.5 of the Microsoft Data Access
> Components (MDAC) to be installed first. If the MDAC installer
> (mdac_typ.exe) is not provided with this setup, you can find it on the
> Microsoft web site (www.microsoft.com)
>
> And after searching said website,
> http://www.microsoft.com/data/download2.htm
> shows:
>
> Microsoft Data Access Components MDAC 2.1.1.3711.11      < 2.5...

I can see the following at http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm

Data Access Components (MDAC) redistribution releases.
Five releases of MDAC are available here: The new MDAC
2.6, two of MDAC 2.5, and two of MDAC 2.1. You can

Regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: Re: [HACKERS] Release in 2 weeks ...

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
Thomas Lockhart wrote:
  >> I have a copy of OpenOffice for LinuxPPC but have not figured out how to
  >> tell it to connect to Postgres.  If someone can slip me a clue on how to
  >> configure it and do simple database stuff with it, I'll try to clean up
  >> the most pressing ODBC problems before we release.
  >
  >I've got a clue for ApplixWare, if you happen to have that package
  >(US$90).

Please post it, Thomas.

I got nowhere following their instructions.

     "These things have I written unto you that believe on
      the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye
      have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name
      of the Son of God."        I John 5:13

Re: Re: [HACKERS] Release in 2 weeks ...

From
Patrick Welche
Date:
On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 08:53:31AM +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> I think I've fixed this bug at least for MS-Access.
> You could get the latest win32 driver from
>   ftp://ftp.greatbridge.org/pub/pgadmin/stable/psqlodbc.zip .
> Please try it.

How can I just install that file? (ie., M$ Access -> psqlodbc.dll -> real OS)

===== aside:

I just tried installing pgAdmin - the installer says:

This setup requires at least version 2.5 of the Microsoft Data Access
Components (MDAC) to be installed first. If the MDAC installer
(mdac_typ.exe) is not provided with this setup, you can find it on the
Microsoft web site (www.microsoft.com)

And after searching said website,
http://www.microsoft.com/data/download2.htm
shows:

Microsoft Data Access Components MDAC 2.1.1.3711.11      < 2.5...

Cheers,

Patrick

Date:
>   >I've got a clue for ApplixWare, if you happen to have that package
>   >(US$90).
> Please post it, Thomas.
> I got nowhere following their instructions.

Have you looked at *our* instructions in the chapter on ODBC? I haven't
done much with it in quite a while, but afaik it all should still work.

I would have expected Cary O'Brien (sp? name?? Done from memory: sorry
"aka Cary" :/ to have spoken up if things have broken, so the
instructions should still be good.

                       - Thomas

Re: Re: [HACKERS] Release in 2 weeks ...

From
Cedar Cox
Date:
First, a warning is in order.  This will modify your registry.  I have no
idea how it might behave on win2000, but should work for win9x.  As
always, it's wise to backup your registry first.  Use at your own risk.

If you already have some version of the PG odbc driver installed, you can
just copy psqlodbc.dll over the old one.  If not, you have to "install"
it.  There is an installer if you want to use it, but I think it only has
the old version so you will have to copy the new psqlodbc.dll over this
old one.  Or, if you want to, you can use the attached .reg file to modify
your registry.  I'm told that this is all the installer does anyway.
Give it a try.

-Cedar

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Patrick Welche wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 08:53:31AM +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> > I think I've fixed this bug at least for MS-Access.
> > You could get the latest win32 driver from
> >   ftp://ftp.greatbridge.org/pub/pgadmin/stable/psqlodbc.zip .
> > Please try it.
>
> How can I just install that file? (ie., M$ Access -> psqlodbc.dll -> real OS)

Attachment

Date:
On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 11:05:02AM +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> Patrick Welche wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 08:53:31AM +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> > > I think I've fixed this bug at least for MS-Access.
> > > You could get the latest win32 driver from
> > >   ftp://ftp.greatbridge.org/pub/pgadmin/stable/psqlodbc.zip .
> > > Please try it.
> >
> > How can I just install that file? (ie., M$ Access -> psqlodbc.dll -> real OS)
> >

> I don't know if M$-access requires MDAC now(it didn't require
> MDAC before). I use ADO and don't use M$-access other than
> testing. ADO requires MDAC and pgAdmin uses ADO AFAIK.

Indeed M$-access doesn't need it. Thanks to Emmanuel and Cedar for the
explanation (also my fault for having searched for psqlodbc with "partial
match" to find it in c:\winnt\system32)

> > And after searching said website,
> > http://www.microsoft.com/data/download2.htm
> > shows:
> >
> > Microsoft Data Access Components MDAC 2.1.1.3711.11      < 2.5...
> >

> I can see the following at http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm

Now how come you found download.htm and I got download2.htm?! Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Patrick