Fwd: pgadmin doesn't see tables?

From
Jim McNamara

hi -
in schema public my tables aren't listed pgadmin III.

here is some diagnostic info.

postgres=# alter table employee set schema public;
ERROR:  table employee is already in schema "public"

postgres=# \dt
          List of relations
 Schema |   Name   | Type  |  Owner
--------+----------+-------+---------
 public | employee | table | blaster
 public | phone    | table | blaster

postgres=# select * from employee;
 id | fname | lname
----+-------+-------
(0 rows)

How come pgadmin can't see my table but the command line
tools can see the table?

thx. for any assistance - jim

    Re: Fwd: pgadmin doesn't see tables?

    From
    "David G. Johnston"
    Date:
    in schema public my tables aren't listed pgadmin III.

    here is some diagnostic info.

    postgres=# alter table employee set schema public;
    ERROR:  table employee is already in schema "public"

    postgres=# \dt
              List of relations
     Schema |   Name   | Type  |  Owner
    --------+----------+-------+---------
     public | employee | table | blaster
     public | phone    | table | blaster

    postgres=# select * from employee;
     id | fname | lname
    ----+-------+-------
    (0 rows)

    How come pgadmin can't see my table but the command line
    tools can see the table?

    thx. for any assistance - jim

    This is likely to be operator error.  Given you've shown zero data regarding pgAdminIII it is impossible to reasonably diagnose further.

    David J.

    Re: Fwd: pgadmin doesn't see tables?

    From
    "Day, David"

    Not quite sure about your statement of the problem,  however here are some thoughts that may help.

    Possibly the confusion  relates to the ‘search_path’  variable which determines which schemas your unqualified table select is searching.

    Try “show search_path;”

    Or

    In your select statement explicitly reference the schema you believe the table to be in.

    i..e select  * from public.employess.

    Also be aware that 0 row means that your table has no data, not that it does not exist.

    Dave

    in schema public my tables aren't listed pgadmin III.

    here is some diagnostic info.

    postgres=# alter table employee set schema public;

    ERROR:  table employee is already in schema "public"

    postgres=# \dt

              List of relations

     Schema |   Name   | Type  |  Owner