Mapping usernames for local/loopback connections

From
Jan Eden
Date:
Hi,

I'd like to use the following in pga_hba.conf:

local   all             all                                     trust map=mymap
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            trust map=mymap

where pga_ident.conf contains

mymap jan dbuser

With this setup in place, the server is not started (and since I don't know how to turn on debug mode for pg_ctl, I
don'tknow why).

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot,
Jan

Re: Mapping usernames for local/loopback connections

From
Jasen Betts
Date:
On 2011-01-02, Jan Eden <temp@janeden.org> wrote:

> local   all             all                                     trust map=mymap
> host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            trust map=mymap

Don't use 'map=mymap' , just use 'mymap'.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Date:
On 02.01.2011, at 13:03, Jasen Betts wrote:

> On 2011-01-02, Jan Eden <temp@janeden.org> wrote:
>
>> local   all             all                                     trust map=mymap
>> host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            trust map=mymap
>

> Don't use 'map=mymap' , just use 'mymap'.

Thanks a lot. I already tried that, and it still does not work. Besides, the manual explicitly uses the 'option=value'
syntax:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

Could there be anything else I overlooked?

Date:

Date:
On 02.01.2011, at 14:22, Jan Eden wrote:

> On 02.01.2011, at 13:03, Jasen Betts wrote:
>
>> On 2011-01-02, Jan Eden <temp@janeden.org> wrote:
>>
>>> local   all             all                                     trust map=mymap
>>> host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            trust map=mymap
>>

>> Don't use 'map=mymap' , just use 'mymap'.
>
> Thanks a lot. I already tried that, and it still does not work. Besides, the manual explicitly uses the
'option=value'syntax:

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html
>
> Could there be anything else I overlooked?

Mystery solved:

2011-01-02 15:32:02 CET LOG:  authentication option "map" is only valid for authentication methods ident, krb5, gssapi,
sspiand cert

Still, is there any way to achieve a mapping of local system accounts to db accounts while using the "trust"
authenticationmethod?

Date:
Jan Eden <temp@janeden.org> writes:
> Still, is there any way to achieve a mapping of local system accounts to db accounts while using the "trust"
authenticationmethod?

Why would you need one?  You can just log in as whatever user you want.
If you're trying to avoid including the username in connection
parameters, consider setting PGUSER=whatever in your environment.

            regards, tom lane