postgres 8.3 (Centos 5.1) create tablespace problem

From
"Nicholas Hemley"

Hello,

I am trying to create a new tablespace using postgres 8.3 (Centos 5.1) and am getting a permissions problem when trying to do so.

Basically, the directory is owned by postgres and full permissions are granted.

I am unable to create a tablespace both in pgadmin3 and via psql with the following:

CREATE TABLESPACE "tablespace" OWNER nic LOCATION '/home/nic/tablespace';

Where the user nic is set-up as a login role and the directory exists.

The postgres user is able to read/write/execute in the specified directory, so what am i missing here?

Any ideas?

Cheerio,

Nic

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 2905 (20080227) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: postgres 8.3 (Centos 5.1) create tablespace problem

Date:
"Nicholas Hemley" <nic.hemley@sidonis.com> writes:
> I am trying to create a new tablespace using postgres 8.3 (Centos 5.1) and
> am getting a permissions problem when trying to do so.

You didn't say exactly what happens, so this is just a guess, but seeing
that it's Centos I'm going to guess that you're being tripped up by
SELinux.  SELinux puts more permissions restrictions on daemon processes
(such as the postmaster) than exist for interactive shell sessions.
What you need to do is give the desired tablespace directory the same
SELinux context (see ls -Z) that the $PGDATA directory has, not just
the same ownership and permissions.

            regards, tom lane