Re: postgres 8.3 (Centos 5.1) create tablespace problem - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgres 8.3 (Centos 5.1) create tablespace problem
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Nicholas Hemley" <nic.hemley@sidonis.com> writes:
> I am trying to create a new tablespace using postgres 8.3 (Centos 5.1) and
> am getting a permissions problem when trying to do so.

You didn't say exactly what happens, so this is just a guess, but seeing
that it's Centos I'm going to guess that you're being tripped up by
SELinux.  SELinux puts more permissions restrictions on daemon processes
(such as the postmaster) than exist for interactive shell sessions.
What you need to do is give the desired tablespace directory the same
SELinux context (see ls -Z) that the $PGDATA directory has, not just
the same ownership and permissions.

            regards, tom lane