Problem Upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 (WinXP) ...not still solved!!

From
Info
Date:
Hi,

I have Still the same problems with the upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1.

I uninstalled the old version first and then i installed the 8.1 release
with an error message about ssleay32 library and some error messages about
the «Activating procedural languages...» as this

************************************
*** from postgresql-8.1.log file ***
************************************
[...]
Action 11.55.11: InstallPl. Activating procedural languages...
MSI (s) (78:6C) [11:55:11:765]: Executing op:

CustomActionSchedule(Action=InstallPl,ActionType=1025,Source=BinaryData,Target=InstallPl@4,CustomActionData=1033;postgres;postgres;5432;C:\Programmi\PostgreSQL\8.1\share\;1;;;;;;;)
MSI (s) (78:D8) [11:55:11:828]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL:
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI3F.tmp, Entrypoint: InstallPl@4
MSI (c) (A0:A4) [11:55:24:453]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error
MSI (c) (A0:A4) [11:55:24:453]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT
`Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 2867
DEBUG: Error 2867:  The error dialog property is not set
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.
This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2867. The
arguments are: , ,
MSI (c) (A0:A4) [11:55:24:468]: Font created.  Charset: Req=0, Ret=0,
Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

Failed to connect to the database. Procedural languages files are
installed, but are not activated in any databases.
[...]
************************************

So the problem is simple:
Connecting by PgAdmin (but also by psql.exe), in the filelog appears this

*****************************
*** from pgadmin.log file ***
*****************************
[...]
2005-11-10 12:48:55 INFO   : Destroying an options dialogue
2005-11-10 12:48:57 INFO   : Attempting to create a connection object...
2005-11-10 12:48:57 INFO   : Creating a connect dialogue
2005-11-10 12:49:03 INFO   : Destroying a connect dialogue
2005-11-10 12:49:04 STATUS : Connecting to database...
2005-11-10 12:49:04 INFO   : Creating pgConnBase object
2005-11-10 12:49:04 INFO   : Server name: localhost (resolved to:
127.0.0.1)
2005-11-10 12:49:04 INFO   : Opening connection with connection string:
host='localhost' hostaddr='127.0.0.1' dbname='postgres' user='postgres'
password='postgres' port=5432
2005-11-10 12:49:04 STATUS : Connecting to database... (0,33 secs)
2005-11-10 12:49:04 ERROR  : Error connecting to the server: server closed
the connection unexpectedly
    before or while processing the request.

2005-11-10 12:49:05 INFO   : Destroying pgConnBase object
*****************************

I uninstalled and installed again postgres-8.1, also removing manually any
keys and values from the Windows registry before reinstalling, but with
same results.

Why????

Where are problems?

Thanks.
Fra.
--
Creato con M2, il rivoluzionario client e-mail di Opera:
http://www.opera.com/m2/

Re: Problem Upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 (WinXP) ...not still solved!!

From
Ilias Goudaropoulos
Date:
I have the same problem.  I asked some other people I know of having the
same problem, as well, and it seems that the do not know what to do.  It
is not a problem with firewalls or antiviruses that came about a lot
lately regarding PostgreSQL 8.0xx.

I have just reinstalled Windows XP SP2 from scratch, installed on it
just PostgreSQL 8.0.4, created a database, uninstalled PostgreSQL 8.0.4,
removed all garbage left by the unistaller in registry, tried to install
the new PostgreSQL 8.1.0-2.

That was the end of me.  It produced the same errors you mention.
Nothing I have tried can solve the problem. Only a clean Windows XP SP2
reinstallation and an installation of PostgreSQL 8.1.0-2 straight from
the beginning.

It seems to me that the installer does not work well with Windows and
leaves something behind that prohibits installation of the later version.

Also when someone uninstalls the database the installer leaves the db
user account -that was created during installation- intact, instead of
deleting it.  Why is that necessary?

I think that the installer needs debugging or even redesign if it turns
out that it is the problem.

What is the point of PostgreSQL being the best free open source database
if people can not even install it without reading through the mailing
lists for weeks on end?

Excuse me for my feelings but I am trying for weeks now to install the
bloody thing and nothing seems to work.

Also despite posting to the "novice" list, it seems that all users in
this list are "Very Advanced" to be bothered answering me or "Info".

What is a more serious Problem to you all? People not been able to even
install the database or problems such as "Linux DB designer tools", "
Large Objects in table ", " Application using PostgreSQL as a back end
(experienced programmers please)" and the like?

So much for novice or advanced users helping each other.

http://www.freemail.gr - ������ �������� ������������ ������������.

when upgrading pg from 8.0 to 8.1 you will have to recreate your databases
and restore your data. the db files are not compatible. there is an easy
tutorial/explanation section in the documentation on "upgrading a db".

basically the steps are the following:
1. while having 8.0 running, dump your databases (pg_dump)
2. install & set-up 8.1
3. restore your databases (pg_restore) into 8.1

good luck,
thomas

>I have the same problem.  I asked some other people I know of having the
>same problem, as well, and it seems that the do not know what to do.  It is
>not a problem with firewalls or antiviruses that came about a lot lately
>regarding PostgreSQL 8.0xx.
>
> I have just reinstalled Windows XP SP2 from scratch, installed on it just
> PostgreSQL 8.0.4, created a database, uninstalled PostgreSQL 8.0.4,
> removed all garbage left by the unistaller in registry, tried to install
> the new PostgreSQL 8.1.0-2.
>
> That was the end of me.  It produced the same errors you mention. Nothing
> I have tried can solve the problem. Only a clean Windows XP SP2
> reinstallation and an installation of PostgreSQL 8.1.0-2 straight from the
> beginning.
>
> It seems to me that the installer does not work well with Windows and
> leaves something behind that prohibits installation of the later version.
>
> Also when someone uninstalls the database the installer leaves the db user
> account -that was created during installation- intact, instead of deleting
> it.  Why is that necessary?
>
> I think that the installer needs debugging or even redesign if it turns
> out that it is the problem.
>
> What is the point of PostgreSQL being the best free open source database
> if people can not even install it without reading through the mailing
> lists for weeks on end?
>
> Excuse me for my feelings but I am trying for weeks now to install the
> bloody thing and nothing seems to work.
>
> Also despite posting to the "novice" list, it seems that all users in this
> list are "Very Advanced" to be bothered answering me or "Info".
>
> What is a more serious Problem to you all? People not been able to even
> install the database or problems such as "Linux DB designer tools", "
> Large Objects in table ", " Application using PostgreSQL as a back end
> (experienced programmers please)" and the like?
>
> So much for novice or advanced users helping each other.

> http://www.freemail.gr -    .
> http://www.freemail.gr - free email service for the Greek-speaking.

>       match

Re: Problem Upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 (WinXP) ...not still solved!!

From
ig@freemail.gr (Çëßáò Ãêïõíôáñüðïõëïò)
Date:
Friends thank you all for replying, but I do not think you understood what I said.  I did not try to upgrade the
database. I uninstalled the old one and tried a clean install of the PostgreSQL 8.1.0-2.

If anything this should have worked, but it did not.

There is no reason for the installer to behave like that.  That is why I am so pissed off and dissapointed.

If anyone can solve this problem, please tell me.  Otherwise I will have to ditch PostgreSQL and go for another
database,which currently I am not very keen on doing.

I am not asking for much. Just a descent installer to be able to install the DB and do my work.

Re: Problem Upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 (WinXP) ...not still solved!!

From
manjusri schuit

Hello
I'm also a novice but anyway maybe this will help you a bit ...

I could not make-up from youre mails if you had removed or moved the old (8.0) data (bin etc) directory's of postgresql (c:\windows\postgresql.... or where you installed it)
At least that 's where i went wrong some time ago. I tried to install a newer version into the same directory of the older version and promt everyting went down the hill
Further more you should disable the old service in the services-panel ( there is a way to remove the service but i'm not in the right place to look it up for you)
(had a case in witch the old service was starting up my new db with the wrong parameters)
Next you should remove the old (postgres) user account  (alternative you could resuse it, worked for me)
remove all garbage left by the unistaller in registry (i never had to do that myself)

Every time I install postgresql on windows i repeat at least the above steps an it works for me.

It could be that the list above is still incompleet.

further more if you want to use the old data (do as me@alternize.com is saying)
Or use a tool to create different build scripts (my way)

Nb. For windows users it can be some times a little bit irratating to get the right anwsers but i believe it's the second release of a (native) postgresql version on windows, so the development of the windows versions is a bit young in comparisation to the NIX versions.
On the site they used to make a comment about that to.

--
Met vriendelijke groet
Manjusri Schuit

Friends thank you all for replying, but I do not think you understood what I said.  I did not try to upgrade the database.  I uninstalled the old one and tried a clean install of the PostgreSQL 8.1.0-2.

If anything this should have worked, but it did not.

There is no reason for the installer to behave like that.  That is why I am so pissed off and dissapointed.

If anyone can solve this problem, please tell me.  Otherwise I will have to ditch PostgreSQL and go for another database, which currently I am not very keen on doing.

I am not asking for much. Just a descent installer to be able to install the DB and do my work.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend