Starting PGSQL

From
"Marc Khayat"
Date:
Hi all,
The following may be too silly even for this mailing list... but however:
i've never used PostgreSQL before, always been using MySQL.
I installed postgresql-8.0.1, but when trying to run it, i get:
[root@linux local]# service postgresql start
Starting postgresql service: [FAILED]
[root@linux local]#
[root@linux local]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
Starting postgresql service: [FAILED]
also tried the restart argument, but didn't work.

My question is the following: how can i run the debug and find the error, or better yet, how can i run it :) ??

Thank you,

Marc

Re: Starting PGSQL

From
Mike
Date:
Complete beginner with Postgresql too, so just a guess, but you might
need to tell postgresql where it should store data before it will
start ---

~$export PGDATA=/var/lib/postgresql/data

or /any/other/data/directory/you/want.

HTH,

Mike

On 9/20/05, Marc Khayat <marc@globalcarrier.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
> The following may be too silly even for this mailing list... but however:
> i've never used PostgreSQL before, always been using MySQL.
> I installed postgresql-8.0.1, but when trying to run it, i get:
> [root@linux local]# service postgresql start
> Starting postgresql service: [FAILED]
> [root@linux local]#
> [root@linux local]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
> Starting postgresql service: [FAILED]
>
> also tried the restart argument, but didn't work.
>
> My question is the following: how can i run the debug and find the error, or
> better yet, how can i run it :) ??
>
> Thank you,
>
> Marc

Re: Starting PGSQL

From
John DeSoi
Date:
On Sep 20, 2005, at 3:53 AM, Marc Khayat wrote:

> My question is the following: how can i run the debug and find the
> error, or better yet, how can i run it :) ??

Have you covered all the startup steps in the installation instructions?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/installation.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Starting PGSQL

From
"Cristian Prieto"

I guess It would be very helpful for us to hear what distro/operating system you are using…

The following may be too silly even for this mailing list... but however:

i've never used PostgreSQL before, always been using MySQL.

I installed postgresql-8.0.1, but when trying to run it, i get:

[root@linux local]# service postgresql start
Starting postgresql service: [FAILED]
[root@linux local]#
[root@linux local]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
Starting postgresql service: [FAILED]

also tried the restart argument, but didn't work.

My question is the following: how can i run the debug and find the error, or better yet, how can i run it :) ??

Thank you,

Marc

Re: Starting PGSQL

From
"Marc Khayat"

Oups J

Well I have a RedHat linux WS 4.0

I just realized that I had installed postgresql-8.0.1 just over postgresql-7.4 (included in the OS).

So I made sure that I removed them both.

I downloaded postgresql-8.0.3.tar.bz2 from the postgresql.org website.

I followed the instructions one by one.

When I reached to

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test

It gave me the following error: bash-3.00$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test

createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL:  could not open file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262": Permission denied

and I have:

bash-3.00$ ls -l /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262

-rw-------  1 postgres postgres 8192 Sep 20 18:21 /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262

Also, the following file doesn’t exist:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql

How to fix it?

thx

Marc

I guess It would be very helpful for us to hear what distro/operating system you are using…

The following may be too silly even for this mailing list... but however:

i've never used PostgreSQL before, always been using MySQL.

I installed postgresql-8.0.1, but when trying to run it, i get:

[root@linux local]# service postgresql start
Starting postgresql service: [FAILED]
[root@linux local]#
[root@linux local]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
Starting postgresql service: [FAILED]

also tried the restart argument, but didn't work.

My question is the following: how can i run the debug and find the error, or better yet, how can i run it :) ??

Thank you,

Marc

Re: Starting PGSQL

From
Andrej Ricnik-Bay
Date:
> It gave me the following error: bash-3.00$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb
> test
>
> createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL:  could not open
> file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262": Permission denied
That means that you followed the steps one by one, just
skipping the chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data, quite
possibly no execute on one of the directories ... hard to
tell without more detailed info, though.

> and I have:
>
> bash-3.00$ ls -l /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262
>
> -rw-------  1 postgres postgres 8192 Sep 20 18:21
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262
>

> Also, the following file doesn't exist:
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql
Since there's varied places for init-script, and not every
Unix/Linux variant uses SysV inits PostgreSQL doesn't
provide that startup script.  The easiest would be to copy
it out of one of your RPMS and modify the paths in it
to match the real thing.

> How to fix it?
Cheers,
Andrej

P.S.: HTML mail is big, ugly and hard to read