Re: Starting PGSQL - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Marc Khayat
Subject Re: Starting PGSQL
Date
List pgsql-novice

Oups J

Well I have a RedHat linux WS 4.0

I just realized that I had installed postgresql-8.0.1 just over postgresql-7.4 (included in the OS).

So I made sure that I removed them both.

I downloaded postgresql-8.0.3.tar.bz2 from the postgresql.org website.

I followed the instructions one by one.

When I reached to

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test

It gave me the following error: bash-3.00$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test

createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL:  could not open file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262": Permission denied

and I have:

bash-3.00$ ls -l /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262

-rw-------  1 postgres postgres 8192 Sep 20 18:21 /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262

Also, the following file doesn’t exist:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql

How to fix it?