message dupes anyone ?

From
Andreas
Date:
Hi folks,

is it just me or are there a lot of dupes of mails coming from this list?
Obviously noone else is complaining so it might be on my side though I
can't think of a source.
I've got simply Mozilla-Mail 1.7.11 colecting the stuff off  my
provider's pop server along with some other lists. Mozilla sorts them
into message-folders and thats it.

I took a little survey and found pg-general and pg-sql not affected but
pg-novice has the dupes, too.
The funny thing is that not every single mail gets cloned but quite a lot.

Any hint ?

Andreas

New PGSQL and Linux Setup on Old Box

From
Date:
i'm wanting to set up my own pgsql linux server on my
LAN at home.  i'm pretty new to linux (as in, brand
spankin'!).

i'm thinking of using an older computer - i think it
is a pii 300, or something like that.

i'm thinking i want to run vectorlinux 4.3.

can pgsql 8.0x run fine on such an old computer?  if
so, is vectorlinux a good choice?  are there any other
distros that allow for easy installation of the latest
version of postgres?

the reason i chose vectorlinux is because the
installation instructions were understandable - i'm
pretty decent when it comes to following cogent and
thorough instructions.

cogent, thorough instructions are HUGE, *HUGE* plus.

tia...

ps - i suppose redhat (fedora) would be a great choice
(shameless plug for Tom's company!) since business is
so familiar with it, however, i don't think the latest
versions will run very well on my old box).  do
correct me if i'm wrong, though!

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: New PGSQL and Linux Setup on Old Box

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 10:32:34 -0700,
  operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:

> can pgsql 8.0x run fine on such an old computer?  if
> so, is vectorlinux a good choice?  are there any other
> distros that allow for easy installation of the latest
> version of postgres?

It will definitely run on older hardware, but it may not be able to run
fast enough depending on what you are trying to do. If you just want to
learn how to get it running, play with some toy sized databases and
maybe develop some simple web applications using postgres as the DB
you should be able to do that.

I am not familiar with vectorlinux. I don't remember anyone making any
packages for it for postgres. If you want to build from source there shouldn't
be a problem, but if you want the equivalent of RPMs you might have problems.

Also, since it sounds like you are using this system to play, I would
recommend playing with the 8.1 beta releases. There are some nice new features
and if you end up deploying a real system later based on postgres your time
will be better spent learning 8.1 than 8.0.