need suggestion for server sizing

From
Havasvölgyi Ottó
Date:
Hi all,

I need your help to determine the configuration of a server machine, and the
PG DBMS.
There will be not more than 25 concurrent users. They will use a business
software that accesses tha database. The database will be not that large, it
seems that none of the tables's recordcount will exceed 1-2 million, but
there will be a lot of small (<5000 record) tables. The numbert of tables
will be about 300. What server would you install to such a site to make the
database respond quickly in any case?
I would like to leave fsync on.
Perhaps you need some additional information. In this case just indicate it.

Thanks in advance,
Otto

Re: need suggestion for server sizing

From
János
Date:
Any XServe from Apple will do it.

János
On Jun 10, 2005, at 5:12 PM, Havasvölgyi Ottó wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I need your help to determine the configuration of a server
> machine, and the
> PG DBMS.
> There will be not more than 25 concurrent users. They will use a
> business
> software that accesses tha database. The database will be not that
> large, it
> seems that none of the tables's recordcount will exceed 1-2
> million, but
> there will be a lot of small (<5000 record) tables. The numbert of
> tables
> will be about 300. What server would you install to such a site to
> make the
> database respond quickly in any case?
> I would like to leave fsync on.
> Perhaps you need some additional information. In this case just
> indicate it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Otto

"There was a mighty king in the land of the Huns whose goodness and
wisdom had no equal."
Nibelungen-Lied

Re: need suggestion for server sizing

From
Havasvölgyi Ottó
Date:
Janos,

Thank you. Sorry, but I wanted to install Linux on the server, I haven't
mentioned it. I am not that familiar in the server-world. So, what
configuration is enough on X86 (32 bit) architecture for PostgreSQL with the
conditions listed in my previous post?

Thanks,
Otto

On Jun 10, 2005, at 5:12 PM, Havasvölgyi Ottó wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I need your help to determine the configuration of a server
> machine, and the
> PG DBMS.
> There will be not more than 25 concurrent users. They will use a
> business
> software that accesses tha database. The database will be not that
> large, it
> seems that none of the tables's recordcount will exceed 1-2
> million, but
> there will be a lot of small (<5000 record) tables. The numbert of
> tables
> will be about 300. What server would you install to such a site to
> make the
> database respond quickly in any case?
> I would like to leave fsync on.
> Perhaps you need some additional information. In this case just
> indicate it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Otto

"There was a mighty king in the land of the Huns whose goodness and
wisdom had no equal."
Nibelungen-Lied

      joining column's datatypes do not match

PGDATA

From
Date:
i currently develop on a winxp laptop.  i use cygwin
and my pgsql version is 7.4.x (x=3, maybe?).

i have to manually start up apache and pgsql. i'm
spending some time learning linux.  i found that i
could edit my .bash_profile so i don't have to type
the path to cygserver every time i tried to start it.

i'd like to do something similar when using pg_ctl to
start and stop the postmaster.

i read the the help files for pg_ctl and it said
PGDATA was the default if there was no -D flag and
then a directy path to the data directory.

i want to set PGDATA path to my DATA directory, but i
can't find PGDATA on my system.

can anyone help here?

tia...

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

Re: PGDATA - SOLVED

From
Date:
--- operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:

> i currently develop on a winxp laptop.  i use cygwin
> and my pgsql version is 7.4.x (x=3, maybe?).
>
> i have to manually start up apache and pgsql. i'm
> spending some time learning linux.  i found that i
> could edit my .bash_profile so i don't have to type
> the path to cygserver every time i tried to start
> it.
>
> i'd like to do something similar when using pg_ctl
> start and stop the postmaster.
>
> i read the the help files for pg_ctl and it said
> PGDATA was the default if there was no -D flag and
> then a directy path to the data directory.
>
> i want to set PGDATA path to my DATA directory, but
> can't find PGDATA on my system.
>
> can anyone help here?
>
> tia...

i was able to solve this one.  i added...

export PGDATA=/usr/share/postgresql/data
export
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/share/postgresql/data

to my .bash_profile (i want a local configuration).

now all i have to do in cygwin to start up pgsql is to
type the following...

first...
cygserver &

once cygserver is up and running, i hit [enter] to get
a prompt then...

second...
pg_ctl start -o -i

kinda cool for a rookie - and we won't mention i've
been typing the directory path for almost a year...  -lol-

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: PGDATA - SOLVED

From
Mike
Date:
Mr. Operations, I've had a similar frustrating experience with PGDATA;
basically, i can't make it "stick."  Once I shut down the postgresql
server the PGDATA configuration is cleared and has to be stated again
before starting postgres, or I'll get an error message.

So I had to insert the command into the system start-up process.
In Gentoo, it's /etc/conf.d/local.start
and the command that works is ---

export PGDATA=/var/lib/postgresql/data

Mike