Postgres version change - pg_dump

From
sarlav kumar
Date:
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for helping with my previous questions.

I have a test database running on Postgres 7.3.2.

 version
 PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
I have another server where a newer version of postgres that came with the Fedora Core 3 package installed.

version
 PostgreSQL 7.4.6 on i386-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC i386-redhat-linux-gcc (GCC) 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6)

I would like to do a pg_dump on the test database, and restore it in the new database on Postgres 7.4.6. I would like to know if there would be any problem due to the postgres version/OS change. If so, could someone tell me what precautions I can take to avoid any problems?

Thanks in advance,
Saranya

Do you Yahoo!?

Re: [despammed] Postgres version change - pg_dump

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
am  20.12.2004, um  6:40:34 -0800 mailte sarlav kumar folgendes:
> I would like to do a pg_dump on the test database, and restore it in
> the new database on Postgres 7.4.6. I would like to know if there
> would be any problem due to the postgres version/OS change. If so,

No. This is the usual way to upgrade the database.

> could someone tell me what precautions I can take to avoid any
> problems?

You can hold the old database ;-)

Andreas Kretschmer    (Kontakt: siehe Header)
               Tel. NL Heynitz:  035242/47212
GnuPG-ID 0x3FFF606C http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
 ===    Schollglas Unternehmensgruppe    ===

Re: Postgres version change - pg_dump

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 06:40:34 -0800,
  sarlav kumar <sarlavk@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would like to do a pg_dump on the test database, and restore it in the new database on Postgres 7.4.6. I would like
toknow if there would be any problem due to the postgres version/OS change. If so, could someone tell me what
precautionsI can take to avoid any problems?

You should use the 7.4.6 version of pg_dump to dump the old database. Note
you still need to be running the 7.3.2 server for the old database.
pg_dump will be just acting like a client connecting over the network
and will work with older versions of the server.

Re: Postgres version change - pg_dump

From
sarlav kumar
Date:
Hi,

From what I understand, I need to execute the pg_dump command from the new server( so that it will use the 7.4.6 version), but connect to the old DB. Am I right?

Thanks,
Saranya

sarlav kumar wrote:

> I would like to do a pg_dump on the test database, and restore it in the new database on Postgres 7.4.6. I would like to know if there would be any problem due to the postgres version/OS change. If so, could someone tell me what precautions I can take to avoid any problems?

You should use the 7.4.6 version of pg_dump to dump the old database. Note
you still need to be running the 7.3.2 server for the old database.
pg_dump will be just acting like a client connecting over the network
and will work with older versions of the server.

Do you Yahoo!?

Re: Postgres version change - pg_dump

From
Kretschmer Andreas
Date:
am  Mon, dem 20.12.2004, um  9:34:06 -0800 mailte sarlav kumar folgendes:
> Hi,
>
> From what I understand, I need to execute the pg_dump command from the new
> server( so that it will use the 7.4.6 version), but connect to the old DB. Am I
> right?

Yes. Call from the new server pg_dump with the credentials for the old
server, in other words, use the new version of pg_dump to generate a
dump from the old server.

> Thanks,
> Saranya
>
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

Please, read http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

Regards, Andreas
--
Diese Message wurde erstellt mit freundlicher Unterstützung eines freilau-
fenden Pinguins aus artgerechter Freilandhaltung.   Er ist garantiert frei

Re: [PERFORM] Postgres version change - pg_dump

From
Stefan Weiss
Date:
sarlav kumar wrote, On 2004-12-20 15:40:
> I would like to do a pg_dump on the test database, and restore it in
> the new database on Postgres 7.4.6. I would like to know if there
> would be any problem due to the postgres version/OS change. If so,
> could someone tell me what precautions I can take to avoid any
> problems?

Apart from using the pg_dump from 7.4.6 (see Bruno's answer), you should
take care to use the same locale in the new database cluster. I have had
problems in the past with unique constraints that could not be restored
due to different locale settings. See here:

  http://www.spinics.net/lists/pgsql/msg05363.html

In my case it was not enough to create the database with a different
encoding, I had to re-initdb the whole cluster :-/

cheers,
stefan

Re: [PERFORM] Postgres version change - pg_dump

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
Hi Sarlav,

>  From what I understand, I need to execute the pg_dump command from the
> new server( so that it will use the 7.4.6 version), but connect to the
> old DB. Am I right?

Basically.

The truth is Sarlav, that any pg_dump version before the new 8.0 version
is likely to have errors restoring.  You should restore the dump like this:

psql -f dump.sql database

And then when you get errors, you will see the line number of the error.
  Then you can edit the dump to fix it.

Chris

Re: [PERFORM] Postgres version change - pg_dump

From
"Iain"
Date:
As others have already said, use the newer version of pg_dump and it should go ok.

I had lots of problems restoring 7.1 dumps into 7.4 database, but it goes smoothly if I use the 7.4 version of pg_dump.

Assuming you have 2 servers, the old one and a new one, call pg_dump from your new server as follows:

pg_dump --username=postgres --host=192.168.x,x  <other options>

and use the IP address of the old server for the --host parameter.

You may need to edit the pg_hba.conf file on the old server to allow the connection from the new server.

This is pretty convenient as you don't even have to copy the dump file from the old server.

I was thinking you could set up a backup server in this way. On a busy system, it may take a load of the main server so that running backups with users online shouldn't be a problem. That's in theory anyway.

regards
Iain