Re: Postgres version change - pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Postgres version change - pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 06:40:34 -0800,
  sarlav kumar <sarlavk@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would like to do a pg_dump on the test database, and restore it in the new database on Postgres 7.4.6. I would like
toknow if there would be any problem due to the postgres version/OS change. If so, could someone tell me what
precautionsI can take to avoid any problems?

You should use the 7.4.6 version of pg_dump to dump the old database. Note
you still need to be running the 7.3.2 server for the old database.
pg_dump will be just acting like a client connecting over the network
and will work with older versions of the server.