Re: Postgres version change - pg_dump

From: Bruno Wolff III
Subject: Re: Postgres version change - pg_dump
Date: ,
List: pgsql-novice

Tree view

Postgres version change - pg_dump  (sarlav kumar, )
 Re: [despammed] Postgres version change - pg_dump  (Andreas Kretschmer, )
 Re: Postgres version change - pg_dump  (Bruno Wolff III, )
  Re: Postgres version change - pg_dump  (sarlav kumar, )
   Re: Postgres version change - pg_dump  (Kretschmer Andreas, )
   Re: [PERFORM] Postgres version change - pg_dump  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
 Re: [PERFORM] Postgres version change - pg_dump  (Stefan Weiss, )
 Re: [PERFORM] Postgres version change - pg_dump  ("Iain", )

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 06:40:34 -0800,
  sarlav kumar <> wrote:

> I would like to do a pg_dump on the test database, and restore it in the new database on Postgres 7.4.6. I would like
toknow if there would be any problem due to the postgres version/OS change. If so, could someone tell me what
precautionsI can take to avoid any problems?

You should use the 7.4.6 version of pg_dump to dump the old database. Note
you still need to be running the 7.3.2 server for the old database.
pg_dump will be just acting like a client connecting over the network
and will work with older versions of the server.