message type 0x44

From
Neil
Date:
Hi

I have been trawling  the archives but have not what I am after with
regards to the message below.

from pg_dump -d ourdb > quick-backup-dec7.db

I eventuate with the following

$ pg_dump: message type 0x44 arrived from server while idle
$ pg_dump: dumpClasses(): SQL command failed
$pg_dump: Error message from server: server closed the connection unexpectedly
         before or while processing the request.
$ pg_dump: The command was: FETCH 100 FROM _pg_dump_cursor

Not quite sure what it all means, DB seems to be functioning OK but I am
not convinced I am dumping all the I am expecting to.

Any pointers/clues would be great

The PSQL Version 7.2, yes, old I know, just not feasible to upgrade just
yet, inherited this and have a bit to learn. Also there is no syslog
logging at present, all goes to console at the moment, however there seems
to be no log messages with this.

TIA

Neil

Re: message type 0x44

Date:
Neil <neil@hica.com.au> writes:
> $ pg_dump: message type 0x44 arrived from server while idle
> $ pg_dump: dumpClasses(): SQL command failed
> $pg_dump: Error message from server: server closed the connection unexpectedly
>          This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>          before or while processing the request.
> $ pg_dump: The command was: FETCH 100 FROM _pg_dump_cursor

This is definitely Not Good.  What shows up in the postmaster log when
this happens?

            regards, tom lane

Re: message type 0x44

From
Neil
Date:
Sys logging is not enabled :(, I am just looking for another way. There is
some logging going to stdout, nothing however with this problem. I think
there is a way of sending this log info to a file, just have to workout
where :)

At 04:13 PM 7/12/2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>Neil <neil@hica.com.au> writes:
> > $ pg_dump: message type 0x44 arrived from server while idle
> > $ pg_dump: dumpClasses(): SQL command failed
> > $pg_dump: Error message from server: server closed the connection
> unexpectedly
> >          This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> >          before or while processing the request.
> > $ pg_dump: The command was: FETCH 100 FROM _pg_dump_cursor
>
>This is definitely Not Good.  What shows up in the postmaster log when
>this happens?

Re: message type 0x44

Date:
Neil <neil@hica.com.au> writes:
> Sys logging is not enabled :(, I am just looking for another way. There is
> some logging going to stdout, nothing however with this problem. I think
> there is a way of sending this log info to a file, just have to workout
> where :)

If you're not using syslog, then the interesting stuff goes to
postmaster stderr not stdout.  Are you capturing stderr too?

            regards, tom lane

Re: message type 0x44

From
Neil
>Re:
>$ pg_dump: message type 0x44 arrived from server while idle
>$ pg_dump: dumpClasses(): SQL command failed
>$pg_dump: Error message from server: server closed the connection unexpectedly
>         This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>         before or while processing the request.
>$ pg_dump: The command was: FETCH 100 FROM _pg_dump_cursor
>
>Not quite sure what it all means, DB seems to be functioning OK but I am
>not convinced I am dumping all the I am expecting to.

I have isolated the table that is giving me the problem in pg_dump

I am now getting from this error from the command  pg_dump -o -a -t contact
ourdb

ERROR:  MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size 4294967293
pg_dump: ERROR:  MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size 4294967293
pg_dump: lost synchronization with server, resetting connection
pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "hiclientcontact"
failed: PQe
ndcopy() failed.
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request
size 4294967293
pg_dump: The command was: COPY "contact" WITH OIDS TO stdout;
[postgres@owen backup]$ DEBUG:  pq_flush: send() failed: Broken pipe

and I get this with  -d

DEBUG:  server process (pid 6863) was terminated by signal 11
DEBUG:  terminating any other active server processes
NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
         The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
         died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
         I have rolled back the current transaction and am
         going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
         Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
DEBUG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory and
semaph
ores
DEBUG:  database system was interrupted at 2004-12-08 16:11:10 EST
DEBUG:  checkpoint record is at 1/37C8267C
DEBUG:  redo record is at 1/37C8267C; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
DEBUG:  next transaction id: 44282241; next oid: 11420991
DEBUG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progre
ss
pg_dump: message type 0x44 arrived from server while idle
pg_dump: dumpClasses(): SQL command failed
pg_dump: Error message from server: server closed the connection unexpectedly
         before or while processing the request.
pg_dump: The command was: FETCH 100 FROM _pg_dump_cursor
[postgres@owen backup]$ DEBUG:  redo starts at 1/37C826BC
DEBUG:  ReadRecord: record with zero length at 1/37C95398
DEBUG:  redo done at 1/37C95368
DEBUG:  database system is ready

TIA

Neil

Re: message type 0x44

From
"Hari Bhanujan"
Date:
Try the same command from the folder in which the data is stored.

What is the storage folder when you created the database using initdb
command?

Also, place the path to pgsql commands in the .bash or .bash_profile
file..

See if that works.

Hari

[...]

TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if
your
      joining column's datatypes do not match