General Performance questions

From
"Delao, Darryl W"

I have been monitoring netstat -c on my db server for a few days now.  I am trying to determine if when I see a postgres connection, if that is indeed just 1 connection or if it is a bunch of connections tied up in 1.  The other day I had postgres set to a limit of 128 connections, and that was reached.  But at no time while monitoring netstat -c did I see 128 connections!  At this point, im assuming that netstat-c does not provide an accurate count of current connections.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Darryl

Re: [GENERAL] General Performance questions

Date:
"Delao, Darryl W" <ddelao@ou.edu> writes:
> I have been monitoring netstat -c on my db server for a few days now.  I am
> trying to determine if when I see a postgres connection, if that is indeed
> just 1 connection or if it is a bunch of connections tied up in 1.

One connection is one connection.

> The
> other day I had postgres set to a limit of 128 connections, and that was
> reached.  But at no time while monitoring netstat -c did I see 128
> connections!

Are you watching both Unix and TCP sockets?  Have you compared netstat
to ps output?

            regards, tom lane

Apple's Java 1.4.1 seems to have broken DBVisualizer?

From
David C.Oshel
Date:
I've been having problems with DB Visualizer (dbvis) since installing
Java 1.4.1 on my Mac OS X 10.2.4 running PostgreSQL 7.3.    Previously
there was no problem AT ALL with dbvis; now, specifically, it seems to
drop or lose track of my connection.

Has anyone else noticed a problem?  Is there something I'm overlooking?
  When the old Java was there, there was never a glitch.

--
David C. Oshel               mailto:dcoshel@inav.net
Cedar Rapids, Iowa       http://soli.inav.net/~dcoshel