Good books?

From
Steve_Miller@sil.org
Date:
I haven't been able to get a feel of any good PostgreSQL books. Any
recommendations for someone with fifteen years of experience with other
databases (SQL Server, Oracle, etc.), but with no experience outside of
Windows?

Steve Miller
SIL International

Re: Good books?

From
"Steinn E. Sigurdarson"
Date:
I'd personally reccommend "PostgreSQL Essential Reference" from new riders
publishing..

In my case I had had experience with MySQL, and MSSQL, so I what I really
needed was a quick reference to familiarize myself with the "PGSQL" way of
doing things ;-)

Steinn E. Sigurðarson
FRISK Software International

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 15:14, Steve_Miller@sil.org wrote:
> I haven't been able to get a feel of any good PostgreSQL books. Any
> recommendations for someone with fifteen years of experience with other
> databases (SQL Server, Oracle, etc.), but with no experience outside of
> Windows?
>
> Steve Miller
> SIL International

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Good books?

From
"Sugrue, Sean"
Date:
We are using "PostgreSQL Developer's Handbook" ISBN 0-672-32260-9, cost= $45.00

Sean Sugrue
Product Test Engineer

I'd personally reccommend "PostgreSQL Essential Reference" from new riders
publishing..

In my case I had had experience with MySQL, and MSSQL, so I what I really
needed was a quick reference to familiarize myself with the "PGSQL" way of
doing things ;-)

Steinn E. Sigurðarson
FRISK Software International

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 15:14, Steve_Miller@sil.org wrote:
> I haven't been able to get a feel of any good PostgreSQL books. Any
> recommendations for someone with fifteen years of experience with other
> databases (SQL Server, Oracle, etc.), but with no experience outside of
> Windows?
>
> Steve Miller
> SIL International

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Good books?

From
"Josh Trutwin"
Date:
> I haven't been able to get a feel of any good PostgreSQL books. Any
> recommendations for someone with fifteen years of experience with other
> databases (SQL Server, Oracle, etc.), but with no experience outside of
> Windows?

The Wrox book is pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1861005156/qid=1043854553/
sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/102-0444630-2449703?v=glance&s=books

FYI, I split the URL above.

It's more of a beginners approach, which seems to be what you're after,
and it does cover some aspects of using PostgreSQL on Windows as well.  I
haven't read the whole thing, but learned a lot in just a few chapters.
Many of the PostgreSQL books on amazon.com have a lot of poor ratings, I
would go to amazon.com and search on "postgresql" and look over the
ratings and comments, usually that will give a good indication on whether
or not the book is good for your needs.

HTH,

Josh

Re: Good books?

From
Steve_Miller@sil.org

>> I haven't been able to get a feel of any good PostgreSQL books. Any
>> recommendations for someone with fifteen years of experience with other
>> databases (SQL Server, Oracle, etc.), but with no experience outside of
>> Windows?
>
>The Wrox book is pretty good:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1861005156/qid=1043854553/
>sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/102-0444630-2449703?v=glance&s=books
>
>FYI, I split the URL above.
>
>It's more of a beginners approach, which seems to be what you're after,
>and it does cover some aspects of using PostgreSQL on Windows as well.  I
>haven't read the whole thing, but learned a lot in just a few chapters.
>Many of the PostgreSQL books on amazon.com have a lot of poor ratings, I
>would go to amazon.com and search on "postgresql" and look over the
>ratings and comments, usually that will give a good indication on whether
>or not the book is good for your needs.
>
>HTH,
>
>Josh

I'm not really after a beginner's database book. After learning 5 other
databases, 4 of them SQL based, I'm hopeful that I can pick up a new
database relatively quickly.  :-)  OTOH, I'm a neophyte with Linux. I got
Red Hat installed on a spare box, but that's the extent of it so far.

As for going to Amazon, I've looked at the comments and ratings, and I got
conflicting messages. And no wonder. I've had 3 different books recommended
to me in this list in less than an hour. A definitive book or two doesn't
seem to exist.

Steve

Re: Good books?

From