Moving from MySQL

From
Kevin Waterson
Date:
Hi all, new to pgsql yadda yadda

I have a default RedHat install and run into the following problem
When trying to connect to postgres I get the following message..
[kevin@anthem kevin]$ postgres
postgres does not know where to find the database system data.  You must specify the directory that contains the
databasesystem either by specifying the -D invocation option or by setting the PGDATA environment variable.

ok, so I su to the user postgres and try...

bash-2.05b$ postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data/
Lock file "/var/lib/pgsql/data//postmaster.pid" already exists.
Is another postmaster (pid 16943) running in "/var/lib/pgsql/data/"?

What seems to be the problem here?

Kind regards
Kevin
Kevin Waterson
Port Macquarie, Australia

Re: Moving from MySQL

From
"Rob"
Date:
For a quick solution run "netstat -tlnp" and see if postgres is running.  If
it is, kill it.  Otherwise just delete the loc file.  I can't make any
guarentees on how safe this is though ...

---
Rob

**************************
Rob Cherry
mailto:rob@jamwarehouse.com
+27 21 447 7440
Jam Warehouse RSA
Smart Business Innovation
http://www.jamwarehouse.com
**************************

[...]

Date:
This one time, at band camp,
"Rob" <rob@jamwarehouse.com> wrote:

> For a quick solution run "netstat -tlnp" and see if postgres is running.  If
> it is, kill it.  Otherwise just delete the loc file.  I can't make any
> guarentees on how safe this is though ...

Worked a treat, thanks

now, if I do
#createuser kevin
from the command line it seems ok..
but when I try
[kevin@anthem file_db]$ psql kevin
psql: FATAL 1:  Database "kevin" does not exist in the system catalog.

How do I create the database from kevin

In MySQL I would do something like
mysqladmin create <dbname> -u root -p

Kind regards
Kevin

Kevin Waterson
Port Macquarie, Australia

Re: Moving from MySQL

From
"Henshall, Stuart - Design & Print"

Kevin Waterson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp,
> "Rob" <rob@jamwarehouse.com> wrote:
>
>> For a quick solution run "netstat -tlnp" and see if postgres is
>> running.  If it is, kill it.  Otherwise just delete the loc file.  I
>> can't make any guarentees on how safe this is though ...
>
> Worked a treat, thanks
>
> now, if I do
> #createuser kevin
> from the command line it seems ok..
> but when I try
> [kevin@anthem file_db]$ psql kevin
> psql: FATAL 1:  Database "kevin" does not exist in the system catalog.
>
> How do I create the database from kevin

Assuming you are now the postgres user:
createdb kevin
you can invoke user kevin with any db as well
psql -U kevin -d template1
Note: If you want kevin to have all rights to the database kevin you'll have to make him the owner some how (eg create Kevin with createdb rights, create the database as Kevin, then remove the rights in psql (as postgres) alter user kevin nocreatedb).

hth,
- Stuart

DISCLAIMER:The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error. Thank you.

Re: Moving from MySQL

Date:
Kevin Waterson <kevin@oceania.net> writes:
> Hi all, new to pgsql yadda yadda
> I have a default RedHat install and run into the following problem
> When trying to connect to postgres I get the following message..
> [kevin@anthem kevin]$ postgres

'postgres' is the server backend; you should not be invoking it
directly.  'psql' is the usual command-line frontend that you might
actually want to use.

However, now that you've killed the postmaster there is no server
process for psql to talk to.  You could restart the postmaster manually,
but it might be easier just to reboot the machine.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Moving from MySQL

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Kevin,

You need to read a primer on PostgreSQL before you do anything else.
 We can't talk you through, on this list, all of the basic commands and
concepts.

There are two complete books online in the "User's Lounge" portion of
the PostgreSQL web site; start with those.

-Josh

Re: Moving from MySQL

From
Kevin Waterson
Date:
This one time, at band camp,
"Henshall, Stuart - Design & Print" <SHenshall@westcountry-design-print.co.uk> wrote:

> Assuming you are now the postgres user:
> createdb kevin
> you can invoke user kevin with any db as well
> psql -U kevin -d template1
> Note: If you want kevin to have all rights to the database kevin you'll have
> to make him the owner some how (eg create Kevin with createdb rights, create
> the database as Kevin, then remove the rights in psql (as postgres) alter
> user kevin nocreatedb).

This worked a treat...

Thank you, and others who replied for your time, I am sure I will have more
questions in future.

Kind regards
Kevin

Kevin Waterson