Moving from MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Kevin Waterson
Subject Moving from MySQL
Date
Re: Moving from MySQL  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-novice
Hi all, new to pgsql yadda yadda

I have a default RedHat install and run into the following problem
When trying to connect to postgres I get the following message..
[kevin@anthem kevin]$ postgres
postgres does not know where to find the database system data.  You must specify the directory that contains the
databasesystem either by specifying the -D invocation option or by setting the PGDATA environment variable.

ok, so I su to the user postgres and try...

bash-2.05b$ postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data/
Lock file "/var/lib/pgsql/data//postmaster.pid" already exists.
Is another postmaster (pid 16943) running in "/var/lib/pgsql/data/"?

What seems to be the problem here?

Kind regards
Kevin
Kevin Waterson