Setting up PAM authentication

From
Richard Ray
Date:
I'm trying to setup PAM authentication for PostgreSQL. I compiled with PAM
and configured pg_hba.conf:
host       test        10.3.62.251   255.255.255.255    pam

When I try to connect I get:
psql: FATAL 1:  PAM authentication failed for user "postgres"

The log shows:
CheckPAMAuth: pam_authenticate failed: 'No account present for user'
FATAL 1:  PAM authentication failed for user "postgres"

I've searched the archives and see this same question asked several times but
no replies.

I'm trying to set this up on HP/UX 11.00 using PostgreSQL 7.2.1.

Thanks
Richard

Re: Setting up PAM authentication

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Richard,

> I'm trying to setup PAM authentication for PostgreSQL. I compiled with PAM
> and configured pg_hba.conf:
> host       test        10.3.62.251   255.255.255.255    pam
>
> When I try to connect I get:
> psql: FATAL 1:  PAM authentication failed for user "postgres"
>
> The log shows:
> CheckPAMAuth: pam_authenticate failed: 'No account present for user'
> FATAL 1:  PAM authentication failed for user "postgres"

You need to set up a PAM module for Postgresql.   I can't explain how to do
this, though, especially on HP-UX; try consulting a Unix manual about
configuring PAM.

Also, are you certain that HP-UX uses PAM?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions