Newbie Stupid Question

From
Simopoulos
Date:
Hi All
I have just installed PostgreSQL on my duel booted Windows 98/Red Hat Linux
system.  I just want to experiment/learn/play with the db without interfering with
real dbs so I'm not connected to anything.  No surprise when I get the error with
the first createdb at the end of the installation, which states:

   connections on Unix domain socket
   "tmp/.S.PGSQL.5432"?
   createdb: database creation failed

Can anyone help, I'm almost done!
Peace,
Marsie

Attachment

Re: Newbie Stupid Question

From
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"

Is the postmaster started?
To start from console do:
pg_ctl start -D <data directory>
or
postmaster -D <data directory> &
To enable TCP/IP from command line do (better to do in conf file):
postmaster -i -D <data directory> &
It maybe necessary to initdb first eg:
initdb -D <data directory>
hth,
- Stuart

Re: Newbie Stupid Question

From
AarniRuuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com
Date:
Hi !

Have you run initdb and then started postmaster with -i switch ?

BR,

aarni

On Thursday 11 July 2002 05:02 pm, you wrote:
> Hi All
> I have just installed PostgreSQL on my duel booted Windows 98/Red Hat Linux
> system.  I just want to experiment/learn/play with the db without
> interfering with real dbs so I'm not connected to anything.  No surprise
> when I get the error with the first createdb at the end of the
> installation, which states:
>
>    Is the server running locally and accepting
>    connections on Unix domain socket
>    "tmp/.S.PGSQL.5432"?
>    createdb: database creation failed
>
> Can anyone help, I'm almost done!
> Peace,
> Marsie

Re: Newbie Stupid Question

From
AarniRuuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com
Date:
Hi !

Try creating one more user with createuser -d

-d switch here means the user can create dbs, although if you omit the switch
your system should prompt you if the new user can create dbs, other users etc.

Check your pg_hba.conf file to allow the new user to connect or maybe even
all local users ...

And by the by, the only stupid question is the one that remains unasked ;-)

BR,

aarni

On Monday 15 July 2002 02:42 pm, you wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have run the initdb and the -i switch, and it seems to be working.  Now
> I'm in the last step creating the testdb, which it won't let me do.  It
> says I don't have permissions.  Yes, I'm postgres.  I thought PostgreSQL
> had postgres as the default user.  I also tried to create other less higher
> users for the db.  That didn't work either.  Well, I'm going to check a few
> things tonight maybe something will click.  If you all have any suggestions
> I'll be most grateful!  :)  I just want to thank you all for ans. my email.
>  I really appreciate this help.
> Peace and Joy,
> Marsie
>
> Aarni Ruuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > Have you run initdb and then started postmaster with -i switch ?
> >
> > BR,
> >
> > aarni
> >
> > On Thursday 11 July 2002 05:02 pm, you wrote:
> > > Hi All
> > > I have just installed PostgreSQL on my duel booted Windows 98/Red Hat
> > > Linux system.  I just want to experiment/learn/play with the db without
> > > interfering with real dbs so I'm not connected to anything.  No
> > > surprise when I get the error with the first createdb at the end of the
> > > installation, which states:
> > >
> > >    Is the server running locally and accepting
> > >    connections on Unix domain socket
> > >    "tmp/.S.PGSQL.5432"?
> > >    createdb: database creation failed
> > >
> > > Can anyone help, I'm almost done!
> > > Peace,
> > > Marsie
> > > ---------------------------(end of
> > > broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our
> > > extensive FAQ?
> > >
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

Re: Newbie Stupid Question

From
AarniRuuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com
Date:
Hi Marsie !

Location depends on your linux distro and pg-installation and version. Mine
is RedHat 7.3 / default pg7.2 installation and pg_hba.conf resides in
/usr/local/pgsql/data. It should be in whatever your datadir is. The file
itself is well commented and explained with examples.

BR,

aarni

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 02:47 pm, you wrote:
> Hi Aarni,
> Now about this pg_hba.conf file where is it suppose to reside?
> I found one in '/usr/local/pgsql/share' called 'pg_hba.conf.sample'!
> If it's suppose to be under the '/usr/local/pgsql/bin' where other pg_files
> are it's not there!
> I did start and stop the Postmaster last night, and it's working fine.
> It just won't let me createdb for the first time.
> Can you clarify?
> Peace,
> Marsie
>
> Aarni Ruuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > Try creating one more user with createuser -d
> >
> > -d switch here means the user can create dbs, although if you omit the
> > switch your system should prompt you if the new user can create dbs,
> > other users etc.
> >
> > Check your pg_hba.conf file to allow the new user to connect or maybe
> > even all local users ...
> >
> > And by the by, the only stupid question is the one that remains unasked
> > ;-)
> >
> > BR,
> >
> > aarni
> >
> > On Monday 15 July 2002 02:42 pm, you wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > > I have run the initdb and the -i switch, and it seems to be working.
> > > Now I'm in the last step creating the testdb, which it won't let me do.
> > >  It says I don't have permissions.  Yes, I'm postgres.  I thought
> > > PostgreSQL had postgres as the default user.  I also tried to create
> > > other less higher users for the db.  That didn't work either.  Well,
> > > I'm going to check a few things tonight maybe something will click.  If
> > > you all have any suggestions I'll be most grateful!  :)  I just want to
> > > thank you all for ans. my email. I really appreciate this help.
> > > Peace and Joy,
> > > Marsie

Re: Newbie Stupid Question

From
AarniRuuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com
Date:
Hi !

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -i

telling the postmaster to accept connections on port 5432 from the outside.

BR,

aarni

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 02:42 pm, you wrote:
> Hi Aarni,
> I have run the initdb, but what is the syntax of the -i switch?
> Does it go where the -D or the -l is?
> Peace,
> Marsie
>
> Aarni Ruuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > Have you run initdb and then started postmaster with -i switch ?
> >
> > BR,
> >
> > aarni
> >
> > On Thursday 11 July 2002 05:02 pm, you wrote:
> > > Hi All
> > > I have just installed PostgreSQL on my duel booted Windows 98/Red Hat
> > > Linux system.  I just want to experiment/learn/play with the db without
> > > interfering with real dbs so I'm not connected to anything.  No
> > > surprise when I get the error with the first createdb at the end of the
> > > installation, which states:
> > >
> > >    Is the server running locally and accepting
> > >    connections on Unix domain socket
> > >    "tmp/.S.PGSQL.5432"?
> > >    createdb: database creation failed
> > >
> > > Can anyone help, I'm almost done!
> > > Peace,
> > > Marsie
> > > ---------------------------(end of
> > > broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our
> > > extensive FAQ?
> > >
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

mirroring databases

From
April L
Date:
Has anyone done, or know of utilities for, remote location "near real time
mirroring" of postgres databases?

An update every 15 minutes or so would work for this purpose. However, the
total number of records is in the millions, and the number of changed or
new records per day could be thousands.

To avoid transferring all records, I'm imagining a flag column that
indicates if a new or changed record has been transferred to the mirror yet.

Any suggestions...?

- April

Re: mirroring databases

From
"D. Duccini"
Date:
put a trigger on the table so that it updates a date/timestamp on updates,
like a "lastModified" column

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, April L wrote:

> Has anyone done, or know of utilities for, remote location "near real time
> mirroring" of postgres databases?
>
> An update every 15 minutes or so would work for this purpose. However, the
> total number of records is in the millions, and the number of changed or
> new records per day could be thousands.
>
> To avoid transferring all records, I'm imagining a flag column that
> indicates if a new or changed record has been transferred to the mirror yet.
>
> Any suggestions...?
>
> - April

david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"

Help: Dumb newbie locked himself out!

From
"Balazs Wellisch"
Date:
Hello all,

sorry for the dumb question but I managed to mess up the privileges in my
database and now I'm unable to create or modify any users. I can still
connect to my database using the postgres user but I don't have the
permissions to do anything. How can I reset the permissions so that the
postgres user will have full access again?

This is a RedHat Linux 7.2 machine running PostgreSQL 7.1.3, standard RPM
installation of everything.

Thank you for you help in advance,

Balazs

Re: Help: Dumb newbie locked himself out!

Date:
"Balazs Wellisch" <balazs@bwellisch.com> writes:
> sorry for the dumb question but I managed to mess up the privileges in my
> database and now I'm unable to create or modify any users. I can still
> connect to my database using the postgres user but I don't have the
> permissions to do anything. How can I reset the permissions so that the
> postgres user will have full access again?
> This is a RedHat Linux 7.2 machine running PostgreSQL 7.1.3

Hmm.  Since you are still the postgres user, I think you can just do
    UPDATE pg_shadow SET usesuper = true WHERE usename = 'postgres';
Since you are the owner of the table, it should let you do that even
though it doesn't think you are superuser.  Then start a new backend
and you should be super again.

In 7.2 there are safer ways of dealing with this sort of mistake (you
can run a standalone backend that will let you operate as a superuser
no matter how badly you've messed up pg_shadow).  You might want to
update sometime soon.

            regards, tom lane

Re: mirroring databases

From
April L
Date:
Thank you for that suggestion.

What is the general method for replacing changed records and adding new
records, between remote locations? Assume a one-way sync, ie a mirror.
Records will only be added or changed at one location.

Thank you,

- April

At 11:52 AM 7/17/2002 -0500, D. Duccini wrote:

>put a trigger on the table so that it updates a date/timestamp on updates,
>like a "lastModified" column
>

>On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, April L wrote:
>
>> Has anyone done, or know of utilities for, remote location "near real time
>> mirroring" of postgres databases?
>>
>> An update every 15 minutes or so would work for this purpose. However, the
>> total number of records is in the millions, and the number of changed or
>> new records per day could be thousands.
>>
>> To avoid transferring all records, I'm imagining a flag column that
>> indicates if a new or changed record has been transferred to the mirror
yet.

>> Any suggestions...?
>>
>> - April

>> TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

Re: Help: Dumb newbie locked himself out!

From
"Balazs Wellisch"
Date:
Tom,

I tried to run
UPDATE pg_shadow SET usesuper = true WHERE usename = 'postgres';

and I got
ERROR:  pg_shadow: Permission denied.

Any other suggestions? I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Balazs

> sorry for the dumb question but I managed to mess up the privileges in my
> database and now I'm unable to create or modify any users. I can still
> connect to my database using the postgres user but I don't have the
> permissions to do anything. How can I reset the permissions so that the
> postgres user will have full access again?
> This is a RedHat Linux 7.2 machine running PostgreSQL 7.1.3

Hmm.  Since you are still the postgres user, I think you can just do
    UPDATE pg_shadow SET usesuper = true WHERE usename = 'postgres';
Since you are the owner of the table, it should let you do that even
though it doesn't think you are superuser.  Then start a new backend
and you should be super again.

In 7.2 there are safer ways of dealing with this sort of mistake (you
can run a standalone backend that will let you operate as a superuser
no matter how badly you've messed up pg_shadow).  You might want to
update sometime soon.

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Help: Dumb newbie locked himself out!

Date:
"Balazs Wellisch" <balazs@bwellisch.com> writes:
> UPDATE pg_shadow SET usesuper = true WHERE usename = 'postgres';
> ERROR:  pg_shadow: Permission denied.

Hmm.  I forgot that you'd need usecatupd privilege to do that.

> Any other suggestions? I appreciate your help.

I think you may be stuck :-( ... unless you want to risk editing the
pg_shadow file with a binary-file editor.

            regards, tom lane

Re: mirroring databases

From
"D. Duccini"
Date:
> What is the general method for replacing changed records and adding new
> records, between remote locations? Assume a one-way sync, ie a mirror.
> Records will only be added or changed at one location.

make a 'diff' kind of file based on the changed information -- you can
either send out the changes to a file to be processed remotely by a piece
of software, or you can create a dump kind of file for direct import

of course you could also look at doing a file-level replication using
something like rsync

david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"

Re: Newbie Stupid Question

From
AarniRuuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com
Date:
Hi Marsie !

You got me lost here. Still a newbie myself too.

Anyway, it seems you have too many errors in install and regress which should
run cleanly without errors before going to creating dbs etc. You are bound to
have more trouble later if you start with errors.

Sorry I can not help you any further on this.

Maybe you sould try ( downloading  the latest version and ) doing a default
installation to see if it goes right on your box ?

Which version and linux distro are you using ?

BR,

aarni

On Thursday 18 July 2002 05:00 pm, you wrote:
> Hi Aarni,
> I did find the file and it is set up correctly.
> I went back and redid some things just to see if they would make a
> difference, but to no avail!
> One of the things was to empty the data directory and reinitiate the db.
> I does give me all the right comments back and makes all the correct files.
> I'm having problems with the part just before the createdb, which I think
> is optional.
> This is the part with starting PostgreSQL with the SysV script, which
> didn't work.
>
> It says that the "service" command does not exist.
> I went on to the next step which was to do the createdb.  This is where I
> get  the error that postgres is not a user?
> But I'm logged into the system as su postgres?  Do I need to be log into
> PostgreSQL somehow?
> There are no big errors on the regress test only 3 errors pertaining to
> some user commands in sql.
> I'm getting really close to backing everything out and starting over, but I
> feel I'm so close to getting this.
> Peace,
> Marsie
>
> Aarni Ruuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com wrote:
> > Hi Marsie !
> >
> > Location depends on your linux distro and pg-installation and version.
> > Mine is RedHat 7.3 / default pg7.2 installation and pg_hba.conf resides
> > in /usr/local/pgsql/data. It should be in whatever your datadir is. The
> > file itself is well commented and explained with examples.
> >
> > BR,
> >
> > aarni
> >
> > On Wednesday 17 July 2002 02:47 pm, you wrote:
> > > Hi Aarni,
> > > Now about this pg_hba.conf file where is it suppose to reside?
> > > I found one in '/usr/local/pgsql/share' called 'pg_hba.conf.sample'!
> > > If it's suppose to be under the '/usr/local/pgsql/bin' where other
> > > pg_files are it's not there!
> > > I did start and stop the Postmaster last night, and it's working fine.
> > > It just won't let me createdb for the first time.
> > > Can you clarify?
> > > Peace,
> > > Marsie

Re: Newbie Stupid Question

From
AarniRuuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com
Date:
Hi Marsie !

Yes, I will, now reinstalling RH after playing hotswap devil with software
raid on my new server ... phuuahh. Well I wanted to repartition anyway.

Sunshine, take care and BR,

aarni