Dear sirs,

From
"Gyan Kapur"
Date:
I've been given a server on a shared virtual server environment, and am hoping to install posgres.  Unfortunately for the security of virtual servers using shared memory (IPC) is a bad idea.  Therefore I ask is there a way to install posgreSQL on a server without IPC (Shared memory?)

Please send replies carbon copied to my email advising if there is.

Thanks for all your help,
                                   Gyan Kapur

no value in string

From
stev knowles
Date:
so, it appears that my empty strings are really strings with a single blank
space. how can i stop that from happening when i load the data in? is there
some way to declare the datum so that blank values are not turned into a
space?

thanx.

Re: no value in string

Date:
stev knowles <stev@Precision.Guesswork.COM> writes:
> so, it appears that my empty strings are really strings with a single blank
> space. how can i stop that from happening when i load the data in? is there
> some way to declare the datum so that blank values are not turned into a
> space?

PG is certainly not doing that to you (unless perhaps you are talking
about a char(1) column).  You need to look for the cause in your
client-side code.

If you are asking for a way to defend against client-side brain death,
perhaps a constraint on the order of CHECK (foo != ' ') would do.

            regards, tom lane