Re: no value in string - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: no value in string
Date
List pgsql-novice
stev knowles <stev@Precision.Guesswork.COM> writes:
> so, it appears that my empty strings are really strings with a single blank
> space. how can i stop that from happening when i load the data in? is there
> some way to declare the datum so that blank values are not turned into a
> space?

PG is certainly not doing that to you (unless perhaps you are talking
about a char(1) column).  You need to look for the cause in your
client-side code.

If you are asking for a way to defend against client-side brain death,
perhaps a constraint on the order of CHECK (foo != ' ') would do.

            regards, tom lane