Change varchar lenght

From
Eduardo
Date:
 How can I change a field that is varchar(50) to varchar(500) ??
 I did not find in docs. And did not find that option in pgaccess .

 Thanks,
     Eduardo K

RE: Change varchar lenght

From
"Sykora, Dale"
Date:
Eduardo,

Since you are changing the table definition, I would do the following.
1. Make a temp table "identical to the original table1 except for the larger
varchar size."
2. Copy table1 to the temp table.
3. Drop table1.
4. Create new table1 identical to temp table.
5. Copy temp table to table1.
6. Drop temp table.

I am a fairly new user, so there may be a better way to do this.

Good Luck,
dale.sykora@compaq.com

 How can I change a field that is varchar(50) to varchar(500) ??
 I did not find in docs. And did not find that option in pgaccess .

 Thanks,
     Eduardo K

RE: Change varchar lenght

From
"Sokel, John"

I don't believe you can change the size of a column once it's created.  The best way is to recreate it.  Take a look at SELECT INTO for creating a backup table easily.  Then recreate the original table and INSERT INTO <original> SELECT * FROM <temp>.  Should be fairly painless.