Build7.0.2 with perl Pg.pm fails

From
danny@lennon.postino.com
Date:
I am trying to install Postgresql7.0.2 with perl support
for Pg.pm . I ran configure --with-perl OK, but during the
make it fails with:

Pg.xs: In function `XS_Pg_PQprint':
Pg.xs:584: `na' undeclared (first use in this function)
Pg.xs:584: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
Pg.xs:584: for each function it appears in.)
Pg.xs: In function `XS_PG_results_fetchrow':
Pg.xs:1255: `sv_undef' undeclared (first use in this function)
Pg.xs: In function `XS_PG_results_print':
Pg.xs:1295: `na' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [Pg.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
This is on RedHat 6.2 2.2.14-5.0 with perl 5.6.0
(Without perl it builds and installs fine.)

Any help appreciated.

--
Danny Aldham     Providing Certified Internetworking Solutions to Business
www.postino.com  E-Mail, Web Servers, Web Databases, SQL PHP & Perl

More fun installing 7 from source

From
ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Date:
Maybe I'm just being dense, but it seems some steps
are missing in the Install documentation.  I can compile
things fine (as the user postgres) with make all after
inserting an unconditional #include <stdarg.h> on my
Solaris 2.5.1 box.  Well, almost fine.  Typically
one can run a make test aftter a make, but it appears
that make test cannot be run until after make install.
So fine, I do an install (prefix is defined to be
/export/home3/postgres), as the user postgres.  Everything
except the perl modules will install.  I have to rerun
make install as root to get the perl modules into
/usr/local with the rest of the perl stuff.  This business
about most of the postgres stuff sitting in a directory
tree owned by postgres, but perl owned by root,
also keeps make runcheck (I think this is the parallel
check) from running.  I guess I'll have to manually do
something different tomorrow.  I suppose I could ask
the powers that be for more diskspace, which would get
around a bunch of these problems.

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Re: Build7.0.2 with perl Pg.pm fails

Date:
danny@lennon.postino.com writes:
> I am trying to install Postgresql7.0.2 with perl support
> for Pg.pm . I ran configure --with-perl OK, but during the
> make it fails with:

> Pg.xs: In function `XS_Pg_PQprint':
> Pg.xs:584: `na' undeclared (first use in this function)

Odd.  These errors look like the known issues with Perl's
self-inflicted incompatibility introduced somewhere around
5.005.  Our experience so far is that configuring the perl5
interface like this:
        perl Makefile.PL POLLUTE=1
makes it work under both newer and not-so-new Perls.  7.0
and later should have the POLLUTE=1 hack built in (see
src/interfaces/Makefile).  Did you maybe have an obsolete
version of src/interfaces/perl5/Makefile hanging about?

            regards, tom lane