How to get ODBC going?

From
"Warren Odom"
Date:
I've studied the docs and searched the archives, and also the ODBC driver
info on the web site, and sorry but I still can't tell how to get this done.
This is what I want to do:  I have  PostgreSQL database on Linux and I want
to access it from Windows 95, using MS Access (but possibly other tools in
the future).

First I thought I needed to install an ODBC driver on the Linux side to do
this (and the docs seemed to agree).  But I couldn't find any.  Then I found
the ODBC info on the Postgres web site, and it seems to say I need to
install the PsqlODBC driver on the Windows side instead.  So I did, but now
I'm stuck.

The instructions don't match what I'm seeing on my system.  They say to go
to the ODBC Manager in Control Panel, and "First, select your favorite
datasource to configure. Then in the "PostgreSQL Driver Setup" dialog,
select under "Options (Advanced)" either the Driver button or Datasource
button. This will bring up another dialog box which contains options you can
configure."  Well, first, my desired data source in this case is Postgres,
but there's no Postgres listed.  Even if I choose another data source
there's no "PostgreSQL Driver Setup" button.  So this is why I'm stuck.

I even reinstalled the PsqlODBC driver on Windows to make sure it's there.
So the question is now what am I supposed to do?

           Thanks for any help -- Warren

RE: How to get ODBC going?

From
patrick.wolf@Aerojet.com (WOLF, PATRICK)
Date:
Well, I had some of the same issues as you when I first began.  Here's my
setup and what I did:

My Setup:

PostgreSQL 6.5.2 running on a RedHat Linux 6.1 system.
Microsoft Access running on Windows 95/98 systems.

What I did:

On the Linux system:
- Install PostgreSQL on my RedHat system from rpms.
- Run initdb to setup the data directories
- Edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql file to add the -i option to the
postmaster line.  This allows connections via tcp/ip sockets (ODBC uses
this).
- Create the databases and tables

On my Windoze 95 boxes:
- Install the PsqlODBC which was developed my Insight Distributors and is
now available from ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/latest/postdrv.exe
<ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/latest/postdrv.exe>  .  Some
documentation on the configuration of this driver is available at
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/psqlodbc_home.html
<ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/psqlodbc_home.html> .
-    Configure the driver by going to Control Panel, 32Bit ODBC (or ODBC
data sources) .  Click on the System DSN tab.  Click add, select PostgreSQL
and click on Finish.  At this point you don't really need to enter anything,
just click on OK.  If you want, you can enter some values that will then
become the default values of the driver configuration for when you actually
access this ODBC resource.  What I do is leave all these options as they are
at this point.  Then when I select the table that I want to link to in MS
Access I configure the options at that point.  The configured options will
then be saved with the MS Access application for that table.
-    Link the tables with MS Access.

I design and create all my tables from the psql command line interface on
the Linux server.  However, I understand that there is a Windows based
application called pgadmin that allows you to design and create database
tables on the server from the Windows PC that you're running (see
http://www.pgadmin.freeserve.co.uk/ ) for more info on that.  Looks cool but
I haven't had the gumption to install it and the support MS applications
that seem to be needed.

I spent a lot of time with trial and error on this but I finally have it
working quite well.  I have 4 applications running under MS Access that have
several tables each on the Linux server.  I also have the database linked to
my web site so that customers can look at database info by connecting via
the web.  Works well.

Pat

Patrick C. Wolf
Test Manager
Aerojet
Socorro Plant

[...]

David Ross
Date:
"WOLF, PATRICK" wrote:

> - Edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql file to add the -i option to the
> postmaster line.  This allows connections via tcp/ip sockets (ODBC uses
> this).

Hello,

awhile back I had troubles getting  ODBC connecting to the server, then I
enabled the TCP/IP stuff and it worked perfectly.  Hope this helps,

David

Attachment

RE: How to get ODBC going?

From
"Warren Odom"
Date:
After some clues from the good people of the mailing list, plus some
detective work, I have figured out where the roadblock was.  In short, it
looks like I was getting the 16-bit ODBC manager from the Windows 95 Control
Panel.  The 32-bit one is what I needed, but it was nowhere in evidence.  I
finally did a search for all files matching *odbc*.exe, and bingo!
odbcadm.exe is the old one, and odbcad32.exe is the new one, which has the
tabs for DSNs, etc. that I couldn't figure out what everyone was talking
about.

Further, the instructions on the web site are still lacking in some details,
some of which you were able to fill in for me.  I haven't had time to work
on it any more since then, since I've been in a training class most of the
week.  (In fact, I had hoped to get an ODBC link to Postgres up & running
for the class, but we ended up having to use MS SQL Server instead.)  Maybe
I can still find a role for Postgres somewhere ...

Anyway, thanks to everyone that helped!  (especially David Boerwinkle and
Patrick Wolf).

           -- Warren