bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
Kasia Tuszynska

Hello jdbc mailing list,

We are using: version 9.0-801

I found that the inconsistent behavior we were expariancing with getTablePrivileges, has been logged as a bug and listed on : http://jdbc.postgresql.org/todo.html

[bugs] ACLs have changed format since the parsing code was written. The code only supports 7.3 style ACLs. DatabaseMetaData methods like getTablePrivileges do not work correctly against later servers

I was wondering if there is a timeframe by which this issue would be resolved.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Kasia

Re: bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
Jonas Sundman
Date:
On 2012-02-08 02:31, Kasia Tuszynska wrote:
> Hello jdbc mailing list,
>
> We are using: version 9.0-801
>
> I found that the inconsistent behavior we were expariancing with
> getTablePrivileges, has been logged as a bug and listed on :
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/todo.html
>
> *[bugs]* ACLs have changed format since the parsing code was written. The code
> only supports 7.3 style ACLs. DatabaseMetaData methods like getTablePrivileges
> do not work correctly against later servers
>
> I was wondering if there is a timeframe by which this issue would be resolved.

Indeed I wrote a patch to the acl parsing which I submitted some time ago
<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2011-08/msg00071.php>.

Now that the git move has been successfully done, is there a chance that someone
could review the patch at this point?

A quick check against 9.1 worked fine, also.

Regards,

Jonas Sundman

Re: bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
I should have some time to look at this.

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Jonas Sundman <jonas.sundman@thl.fi> wrote:
> On 2012-02-08 02:31, Kasia Tuszynska wrote:
>>
>> Hello jdbc mailing list,
>>
>> We are using: version 9.0-801
>>
>> I found that the inconsistent behavior we were expariancing with
>> getTablePrivileges, has been logged as a bug and listed on :
>> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/todo.html
>>
>> *[bugs]* ACLs have changed format since the parsing code was written. The
>> code
>>
>> only supports 7.3 style ACLs. DatabaseMetaData methods like
>> getTablePrivileges
>> do not work correctly against later servers
>>
>> I was wondering if there is a timeframe by which this issue would be
>> resolved.
>>

> Indeed I wrote a patch to the acl parsing which I submitted some time ago
> <http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2011-08/msg00071.php>.
>
> Now that the git move has been successfully done, is there a chance that
> someone could review the patch at this point?
>
> A quick check against 9.1 worked fine, also.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jonas Sundman

Re: bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Jonas,

Thanks for the patch. I've had some time to look at it. One problem I
am running into is creating a test case for it.

Currently all of our test code is in the test.org.postgresql....
package(s) however I can't get access to one of the protected methods
from there.

I'm thinking we should move all of the test code into
org.postgresql.... package and drop the test. This would give us the
ability to create unit tests on more methods

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 6:34 AM, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
> I should have some time to look at this.
>
> Dave Cramer
>
> dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
> http://www.credativ.ca
>

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Jonas Sundman <jonas.sundman@thl.fi> wrote:
>> On 2012-02-08 02:31, Kasia Tuszynska wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello jdbc mailing list,
>>>
>>> We are using: version 9.0-801
>>>
>>> I found that the inconsistent behavior we were expariancing with
>>> getTablePrivileges, has been logged as a bug and listed on :
>>> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/todo.html
>>>
>>> *[bugs]* ACLs have changed format since the parsing code was written. The
>>> code
>>>
>>> only supports 7.3 style ACLs. DatabaseMetaData methods like
>>> getTablePrivileges
>>> do not work correctly against later servers
>>>
>>> I was wondering if there is a timeframe by which this issue would be
>>> resolved.
>>>

>> Indeed I wrote a patch to the acl parsing which I submitted some time ago
>> <http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2011-08/msg00071.php>.
>>
>> Now that the git move has been successfully done, is there a chance that
>> someone could review the patch at this point?
>>
>> A quick check against 9.1 worked fine, also.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jonas Sundman
>>
>> --

Re: bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Interesting... Thanks

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Bodor András <bodri.mh3@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi Dave,
>
>  You can use java reflection, and with the setAccessible(boolean flag)
> method of java.lang.reflect.Method you can invoke anything.
>           Andras
>

>> Currently all of our test code is in the test.org.postgresql....
>> package(s) however I can't get access to one of the protected methods
>> from there.

Re: bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
Bodor András
Date:
  Hi Dave,

 You can use java reflection, and with the setAccessible(boolean flag)
method of java.lang.reflect.Method you can invoke anything.
           Andras

> Currently all of our test code is in the test.org.postgresql....
> package(s) however I can't get access to one of the protected methods
> from there.

Re: bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
Florent Guillaume
Date:
... as long as you're not running with a SecurityManager, which pgjdbc
cannot assume.

Florent

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Bodor András <bodri.mh3@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi Dave,
>
>  You can use java reflection, and with the setAccessible(boolean flag)
> method of java.lang.reflect.Method you can invoke anything.
>           Andras
>

>> Currently all of our test code is in the test.org.postgresql....
>> package(s) however I can't get access to one of the protected methods
>> from there.

Re: bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Florent Guillaume <fg@nuxeo.com> wrote:
> Bodor András <bodri.mh3@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You can use java reflection, and with the setAccessible(boolean
>> flag) method of java.lang.reflect.Method you can invoke anything.

> ... as long as you're not running with a SecurityManager, which
> pgjdbc cannot assume.

Even when running its test suite?

-Kevin

Re: bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
Kris Jurka

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012, Dave Cramer wrote:

> Thanks for the patch. I've had some time to look at it. One problem I
> am running into is creating a test case for it.
>
> Currently all of our test code is in the test.org.postgresql....
> package(s) however I can't get access to one of the protected methods
> from there.

Are you confusing protected with package private?  Changing the test
package won't magically give you access to a protected method.

> I'm thinking we should move all of the test code into
> org.postgresql.... package and drop the test. This would give us the
> ability to create unit tests on more methods

The easier approach is just to make more internal methods public.  Since
everyone is really just dealing the standard java.sql interfaces, I don't
think we'd really be risking over-exposing driver internals.

Kris Jurka

Date:
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> Thanks for the patch. I've had some time to look at it. One problem I
>> am running into is creating a test case for it.
>>
>> Currently all of our test code is in the test.org.postgresql....
>> package(s) however I can't get access to one of the protected methods
>> from there.
>
> Are you confusing protected with package private?  Changing the test
> package won't magically give you access to a protected method.

Actually it will :)

Florent

>> I'm thinking we should move all of the test code into
>> org.postgresql.... package and drop the test. This would give us the
>> ability to create unit tests on more methods
>>

> The easier approach is just to make more internal methods public.  Since
> everyone is really just dealing the standard java.sql interfaces, I don't
> think we'd really be risking over-exposing driver internals.
>
> Kris Jurka

Re: bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
Florent Guillaume
Date:
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Florent Guillaume <fg@nuxeo.com> wrote:
>> Bodor András <bodri.mh3@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> You can use java reflection, and with the setAccessible(boolean
>>> flag) method of java.lang.reflect.Method you can invoke anything.
>
>> ... as long as you're not running with a SecurityManager, which
>> pgjdbc cannot assume.
>
> Even when running its test suite?

Indeed in that case it's not a problem.

Florent

Date:

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Florent Guillaume <fg@nuxeo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012, Dave Cramer wrote:
>>> Thanks for the patch. I've had some time to look at it. One problem I
>>> am running into is creating a test case for it.
>>>
>>> Currently all of our test code is in the test.org.postgresql....
>>> package(s) however I can't get access to one of the protected methods
>>> from there.
>>
>> Are you confusing protected with package private?  Changing the test
>> package won't magically give you access to a protected method.
>
> Actually it will :)

My test suggests it will as well.

Moving the package shouldn't be that difficult as we wouldn't
physically move the files, just change the package names and the way
it is compiled.

Dave

Re: bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
Dave Cramer

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Florent Guillaume <fg@nuxeo.com> wrote:

>>> Are you confusing protected with package private?  Changing the test
>>> package won't magically give you access to a protected method.
>>
>> Actually it will :)
>>

> My test suggests it will as well.
>
> Moving the package shouldn't be that difficult as we wouldn't
> physically move the files, just change the package names and the way
> it is compiled.

Actually I recant. The files do need to be moved. For some reason I
thought they were in test.org.postgresql.....

> Dave

Re: bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Kasia,

I just pushed in a Jonas' patch for this, can you test it please ?

Date:
On 02/13/2012 02:03 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Jonas,
>
> Thanks for the patch. I've had some time to look at it. One problem I
> am running into is creating a test case for it.
>
> Currently all of our test code is in the test.org.postgresql....
> package(s) however I can't get access to one of the protected methods
> from there.
>
> I'm thinking we should move all of the test code into
> org.postgresql.... package and drop the test. This would give us the
> ability to create unit tests on more methods
Dave,

great to hear, apparently You did sort out the test case.

I'll check it out and test it now that it's submitted,

thanks,

Jonas Sundman

Re: bug on to do list reproducable at version 9.0-801

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Well we need a lot more testing on that. It should test current
versions as well.

I made the parseACL function public :(

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012, Dave Cramer wrote:

> Well we need a lot more testing on that. It should test current
> versions as well.

The problem with the test is that it doesn't do any verification of the
results, it just confirms that the parsing doesn't throw an exception.

Kris Jurka

Date:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>> Well we need a lot more testing on that. It should test current
>> versions as well.
>
> The problem with the test is that it doesn't do any verification of the
> results, it just confirms that the parsing doesn't throw an exception.
>
> Kris Jurka

Clearly but I wanted to get it tested by Kasia sooner than later. Once
that happens I will add test cases