Source code for postgress 7.4?

From
Andrés Maneiro
Date:
Hi people,

I'm interested to see the code for JDBC3 driver, version 7.4 build 213
(likely any later version of 7.4 driver would work also).

On the webpage is available the jar containing the executable files of
7.4 build 216, but I'd like to see the code also. I had tried using the
CVS repository to get it but I didn't find it.

Could anyone point me to the right site to get the code?

Thanks,
amaneiro

Re: Source code for postgress 7.4?

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Andrés Maneiro<amaneiro@cartolab.es> wrote:

> I'm interested to see the code for JDBC3 driver

> Could anyone point me to the right site to get the code?

At the JDBC site:

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/

There is a Development tab:

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/development/intro.html

Which has a link to the CVS checkout information:\

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/development/cvs.html

-Kevin

Re: Source code for postgress 7.4?

From
Andrés Maneiro
Date:
Thanks for your answer Kevin,

anyway I couldn't find in the repo a "tag" named 7.4 neither a branch.

It seems there is no tag previously to 8 version series. But it's been
ages since I'm not using CVS, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. In
that case, any help pointing me to the code I'm looking for would be
very helpful.

best,
amaneiro

On 06/28/2010 06:11 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Andrés Maneiro<amaneiro@cartolab.es>  wrote:
>
>> I'm interested to see the code for JDBC3 driver
>
>> Could anyone point me to the right site to get the code?
>
> At the JDBC site:
>
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/
>
> There is a Development tab:
>
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/development/intro.html
>
> Which has a link to the CVS checkout information:\
>
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/development/cvs.html
>
> -Kevin

Re: Source code for postgress 7.4?

From
Kris Jurka

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Andr?s Maneiro wrote:

> It seems there is no tag previously to 8 version series. But it's been ages
> since I'm not using CVS, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. In that case,
> any help pointing me to the code I'm looking for would be very helpful.

Prior to the 8.0 release the source code for the JDBC driver was included
with the main server product.  So you can get it from here:

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v7.4.29/

Kris Jurka

Date:
Andrés Maneiro<amaneiro@cartolab.es> wrote:

> anyway I couldn't find in the repo a "tag" named 7.4 neither a
> branch.

If you want the latest from the 7.4 branch, check out REL7_4_STABLE,
which you can browse here:

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/jdbc/pgjdbc/?
only_with_tag=REL7_4_STABLE

Actual release tags would appear to be REL7_4 and REL7_4_1.

> It seems there is no tag previously to 8 version series. But it's
> been ages since I'm not using CVS, so maybe I'm doing something
> wrong. In that case, any help pointing me to the code I'm looking
> for would be very helpful.

Possibly you forgot that version and branch information is stored
separately for each file, and you were looking at files created in
8.0 or later.  If you're using the command line, try changing to the
pgjdbc/org/postgresql directory and typing:

cvs status -v Driver.java.in

to see the various tags and branches.

-Kevin

Date:
Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:

> Prior to the 8.0 release the source code for the JDBC driver was
> included with the main server product.  So you can get it from
> here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v7.4.29/

Hi Kris,

I had referenced this page:

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/development/cvs.html#newretrieve

Which gives instructions for command-line checkout from:

:pserver:anonymous@cvs.pgfoundry.org:/cvsroot/jdbc

Is that valid, too?

-Kevin

Re: Source code for postgress 7.4?

From
Andrés Maneiro
Date:
Thanks Kris! It will be very helpful.

amaneiro

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/development/cvs.html#newretrieve
>
> Which gives instructions for command-line checkout from:
>
> :pserver:anonymous@cvs.pgfoundry.org:/cvsroot/jdbc
>
> Is that valid, too?

Yes, mostly.  The part of the server CVS tree that housed the JDBC driver
was just copied over to start the separate JDBC repository.  So anything
in the server repository at the time of the copy is in the JDBC
repository.  I can't recall if we put 7.4 patches into both places, but my
guess is that we did not so the server tree may be more up to date.  You
can tell when the copy happened because you can see a REL7_4_1 tag
indicating the release of server version 7.4.1, but not 7.4.2 tag.

Kris Jurka

Re: Source code for postgress 7.4?

From
Andrés Maneiro
Date:
Thanks Kevin! It will be helpful to retrieve the code from CVS.

amaneiro

Date:
Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:

>> :pserver:anonymous@cvs.pgfoundry.org:/cvsroot/jdbc
>>
>> Is that valid, too?

> Yes, mostly.  The part of the server CVS tree that housed the JDBC
> driver was just copied over to start the separate JDBC repository.
> So anything in the server repository at the time of the copy is in
> the JDBC repository.  I can't recall if we put 7.4 patches into
> both places, but my guess is that we did not so the server tree
> may be more up to date.  You can tell when the copy happened
> because you can see a REL7_4_1 tag indicating the release of
> server version 7.4.1, but not 7.4.2 tag.

I'm confused.  Where is the "server repository" copy of JDBC?  Does
the "JDBC repository" contain any JDBC code which isn't in the
server repository?  Why do we have both?  Why does the
jdbc.postgresql.org site reference the tree which may be less up to
date?

I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious; I'm just trying to
regain confidence that I know where the current and historical
source code is for JDBC.

-Kevin

Re: Source code for postgress 7.4?

From
Kris Jurka

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> I'm confused.  Where is the "server repository" copy of JDBC?  Does
> the "JDBC repository" contain any JDBC code which isn't in the
> server repository?  Why do we have both?  Why does the
> jdbc.postgresql.org site reference the tree which may be less up to
> date?

http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc/

This is the main postgresql server CVS repository and prior to the 8.0
release it also housed the JDBC driver source code.  It doesn't have any
8.0+ JDBC code, so the pgfoundry project is the official source for the
current code.  For 7.3 and earlier both copies are identical.  For 7.4 the
server repo has a couple of changes the pgfoundry repo does not.

Kris Jurka

Date:
Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:

> This is the main postgresql server CVS repository and prior to the
> 8.0 release it also housed the JDBC driver source code.  It
> doesn't have any 8.0+ JDBC code, so the pgfoundry project is the
> official source for the current code.  For 7.3 and earlier both
> copies are identical.  For 7.4 the server repo has a couple of
> changes the pgfoundry repo does not.

OK, thanks.

Is it just because of a shortage of "round tuits" that we haven't
applied those 7.4 patches to the new repository, or is there a
technical reason? (If the former, I'm thinking about putting that on
my personal "todo" list, for when I'm not quite so swamped.)

-Kevin

Re: Source code for postgress 7.4?

From
Kris Jurka

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> Is it just because of a shortage of "round tuits" that we haven't
> applied those 7.4 patches to the new repository, or is there a
> technical reason? (If the former, I'm thinking about putting that on
> my personal "todo" list, for when I'm not quite so swamped.)

Yes, just lack of time/interest.  Although it's probably even less
interesting now as the 7.4 driver has not been supported for quite some
time.

Kris Jurka