COPY support: plan and progress

From
Thomas Finneid
Date:
Hi

I am working for a client that have been using the JDBC COPY patch in
2-3 of their products. This has only been during development over the
last couple of years, while waiting for the patch to become final. Since
the functionality is only a patch, is there a plan, procedure or
requirements list for how to get the patch into mainline releases?

My client would prefer to have this as a permanent functionality in the
jdbc driver, otherwise it will have difficulties defending the
technology choice to the QA department. The COPY operation is what makes
parts of the solution work fast enough.

I am willing to help achieve this, but then I would need to know

- what needs to be done
- how to proceed
- what are the requirements for an inclusion of a patch
- are there any issues that needs to be resolved.

With this information I could start by making a plan to monitor tasks
and progress.

URL to COPY patch page:

http://kato.iki.fi/sw/db/postgresql/jdbc/copy/

regards

thomas

Re: COPY support: plan and progress

From
Kris Jurka

On Mon, 11 May 2009, Thomas Finneid wrote:

> I am working for a client that have been using the JDBC COPY patch in 2-3 of
> their products. This has only been during development over the last couple of
> years, while waiting for the patch to become final. Since the functionality
> is only a patch, is there a plan, procedure or requirements list for how to
> get the patch into mainline releases?

I have started using this patch myself and have started reviewing it, but
haven't finished yet.  Some form of it will go into the 8.4 driver
release.

Kris Jurka

Re: COPY support: plan and progress

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Date:
Kris Jurka wrote:
> > I am working for a client that have been using the JDBC COPY patch in 2-3 of
> > their products. This has only been during development over the last couple of
> > years, while waiting for the patch to become final. Since the functionality
> > is only a patch, is there a plan, procedure or requirements list for how to
> > get the patch into mainline releases?
>
> I have started using this patch myself and have started reviewing it, but
> haven't finished yet.  Some form of it will go into the 8.4 driver
> release.

This is great news!

Laurenz Albe

Kris Jurka wrote:

> I have started using this patch myself and have started reviewing it,
> but haven't finished yet.  Some form of it will go into the 8.4 driver
> release.

Thats brilliant. I can take part in the testing against the 8.4
database, so do you know approx when you could have the patch for 8.4 ready?

Additionally, would it be difficult to get it into 8.3 and 8.2 drivers
in addition? My client is running on Solaris and newer version of stuff
tends to arrive late on Solaris. Not forgetting that Oracle just bought
Sun, so I cant imagine Postgres being part of any future releases of
Solaris.