ERROR: insufficient data left in message

From
Robert Wimmer
Date:
I always get the error "insufficient data left in message" running a prepared statement via jdbc executeQuery

the java statement

 "ResultSet rs = this.updateStatement.executeQuery();"

results in the following error message :
java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: insufficient data left in message.

the insert statement is

INSERT INTO person.person (id, lastName, readOnly, birthDay, firstName)  VALUES(DEFAULT,?,?,?,?) RETURNING id

the server LOG file says the following

2008-04-29 00:15:24 CEST ERROR:  insufficient data left in message
2008-04-29 00:15:24 CEST STATEMENT:  INSERT INTO person.person (id, lastName, readOnly, birthDay, firstName)  VALUES(DEFAULT,$1,$2,$3,$4) RETURNING id
2008-04-29 00:15:24 CEST LOG:  could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer

i also tried this statement via the psql command line and it worked.  there is also a similar update statement that works perfect

###
 ResultSet rs = this.updateStatement.executeQuery();
// and the record is updated
// log
2008-04-29 00:34:45 CEST LOG:  could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer
2008-04-29 00:34:45 CEST LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
###

i am using Postgres 8.2 and jdbc 3.0 for 8.2 (i also tried it with jdbc 4.0 but it  did not work either).

i have no idea what the problem is - can someone help me ?

regards sepp

Hohe Telefonrechnungen? Gratis Gespräche von PC zu PC - unlimitiert mit dem Windows Live Messenger. Hier klicken!

Re: ERROR: insufficient data left in message

From
Oliver Jowett
Date:
Robert Wimmer wrote:
> I always get the error "insufficient data left in message" running a
> prepared statement via jdbc executeQuery

Can you send us a testcase showing exactly what you are doing?

-O

Date:
.hmmessage P{margin:0px;padding:0px}body.hmmessage{FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma}> Robert Wimmer wrote:
> > I always get the error 'insufficient data left in message' running a
> > prepared statement via jdbc executeQuery
>
> Can you send us a testcase showing exactly what you are doing?

i dont know what you mean with "sending a testcase" so i added the zipped source to this mail.

the program itself is intended to work as a really light weight ORM tool for postgres 8.2 and higher. its done in eclipse. it worked in an older release but my old eclipse configuration is broken and i had to rebuild the whole stuff.

there exists also a homepage for this project, where you can see a sample of an older version that worked.  here is the link

http://81.223.126.12/wiro/self/projects/frames.html

do NOT download from this website - it wont work.

i tried to build an executable jar from this project but it didnt work (i am - and have been - the worst deployer in the world (since more then 20 years) but this another problem).

the tool is implemented using java 6.0

thanx for help

Sepp

besides - if you have any comments concerning my project described above - please let me know.

Hohe Telefonrechnungen? Gratis Gespräche von PC zu PC - unlimitiert mit dem Windows Live Messenger. Hier klicken!
Attachment

Re: ERROR: insufficient data left in message

From
Daniel Migowski
Date:
Hello Robert,

I had the same problem with Strings containing the 0x00-char. PostgreSQL
does not like those...

With best regards,
Daniel Migowski