Automated setting of timezone with connection pooling

From
"George Woodring"
Date:
We have multiple databases in a cluster ( one for each of our customers
) which the default time zone needs to be different.  We are currently
using dbcp to do our connection pooling.  Can anyone recommend a good
way of automatically setting the timezone when the connection is made?

Thanks,

Woody

iGLASS Networks
211-A S. Salem St
Apex NC 27502
(919) 387-3550 x813
www.iglass.net

Re: Automated setting of timezone with connection pooling

From
Kris Jurka

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, George Woodring wrote:

> We have multiple databases in a cluster ( one for each of our customers
> ) which the default time zone needs to be different.  We are currently
> using dbcp to do our connection pooling.  Can anyone recommend a good
> way of automatically setting the timezone when the connection is made?

I'm uncertain of what your requirements are.  Do you just need a different
default timezone per database?  If so, ALTER DATABASE mydb SET timezone =
'America/Los_Angeles';  You can also set the timezone in the same
fashion per database user.  If you have other requirements,
you'll need to make them clear, but you're probably out of luck.

Kris Jurka

Re: Automated setting of timezone with connection pooling

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Woody,

George Woodring wrote:
> We have multiple databases in a cluster ( one for each of our customers
> ) which the default time zone needs to be different.  We are currently
> using dbcp to do our connection pooling.  Can anyone recommend a good
> way of automatically setting the timezone when the connection is made?

Chris already pointed out how to set the time zones per database and per
user.

Some connection poolings also include the possibility to specify
commands which are executed after connecting and before reusing a
connection. For JBoss foo-ds.xml, the syntax would be like:

<datasources>
  <no-tx-datasource>
    <jndi-name>...</jndi-name>
    <connection-url>...</connection-url>
    <!-- other settings ... -->
    <new-connection-sql>SET timezone TO 5</new-connection-sql>
    <check-valid-connection-sql>SET timezone TO
5</check-valid-connection-sql>
  </no-tx-datasource>
</datasources>

HTH,