Prepare Statement

From
"Jie Liang"
Date:
Hi,

I have a question about performance, in SQL commands: there is a
prepare/execute command, document says it will improve the performance
while repeatly execute a statement. In java.sql: there is a
PreparedStatement object, which can store precompiled SQL statement,
document says it can improve the performance also.
If I use java jdbc to connect postgresql database, which one I should
use? Can I use both?

Thanks.

Jie Liang

Re: Prepare Statement

From
Kris Jurka

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Jie Liang wrote:

> I have a question about performance, in SQL commands: there is a
> prepare/execute command, document says it will improve the performance
> while repeatly execute a statement. In java.sql: there is a
> PreparedStatement object, which can store precompiled SQL statement,
> document says it can improve the performance also.
> If I use java jdbc to connect postgresql database, which one I should
> use? Can I use both?

When using JDBC it is best to use the standard Statement/PreparedStatement
interfaces.  It is possible to directly use PREPARE/EXECUTE, but this can
be handled by the driver.  Let me give you a run down of the different
driver versions and their capabilities:

Current released version: can enable using PREPARE/EXECUTE behind the
scenes on PreparedStatement by casting the prepared statement to
PGStatement and issuing setUseServerPrepare.

Current cvs version: can enable using PREPARE/EXECUTE by setting an
execution threshold that will turn it on when reached.  This threshold can
be set at a number of levels, see the following for more information

http://www.ejurka.com/pgsql/docs/cvs/ch09s05.html

Soon to be committed cvs version: can directly use server prepared
statements without using the SQL level PREPARE/EXECUTE.

Kris Jurka

Re: Prepare Statement

From
"Jie Liang"
Date:
Kris,
Thank you for your valuable response, I used the code you list
following:
import java.sql.*;

public class ServerSidePreparedStatement
{

    public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception
    {
        Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
        String url = "jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/test";
        Connection conn =
DriverManager.getConnection(url,"test","");

        PreparedStatement pstmt = conn.prepareStatement("SELECT
?");

        // cast to the pg extension interface
        org.postgresql.PGStatement pgstmt =
(org.postgresql.PGStatement)pstmt;

        // on the third execution start using server side
statements
        pgstmt.setPrepareThreshold(3);

        for (int i=1; i<=5; i++)
        {
            pstmt.setInt(1,i);
            boolean usingServerPrepare =
pgstmt.isUseServerPrepare();
            ResultSet rs = pstmt.executeQuery();
            rs.next();
            System.out.println("Execution: "+i+", Used
server side: " + usingServerPrepare + ", Result: "+rs.getInt(1));
            rs.close();
        }

        pstmt.close();
        conn.close();
    }
}
Then, the compiler complaint:
ServerSidePreparedStatement.java:20: cannot resolve symbol symbol  :
method setPrepareThreshold  (int)
location: interface org.postgresql.PGStatement
                pgstmt.setPrepareThreshold(3);
I downloaded pg74.213.jdbc2.jar and pg74.213.jdbc2ee.jar at
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html
And had a try, I got same error msg.

I use java 1.3.1, postgresql -7.4.2, FreeBSD 4.7

What I need to do to make it work??

Thanks.

Jie Liang

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Jie Liang wrote:

> Kris,
> Thank you for your valuable response, I used the code you list
> following:
>
> [7.5 code example]
>
> Then, the compiler complaint:
> ServerSidePreparedStatement.java:20: cannot resolve symbol symbol  :
> method setPrepareThreshold  (int)
> location: interface org.postgresql.PGStatement
>                 pgstmt.setPrepareThreshold(3); I downloaded
> pg74.213.jdbc2.jar and pg74.213.jdbc2ee.jar at

This example is from the 7.5 documentation and requires a
pgdev.302.jdbcX.jar file.  I mentioned this cvs example because this
functionality is undocumented in the released version.  In the 7.4 version
the enabling of server side statements is only possible via a boolean flag
at the statement level, namely PGStatement.setUseServerPrepare(true);

Kris Jurka

Re: Prepare Statement

From
"Jie Liang"
Date:
Kirs,

I re-compile with setUseServerPrepare(true), it works fine, thanks.
However, reading from my log file, what I saw is that five same SELECTs
with different argument, so I am wondering that the PrepareStatement
really save time than individualy execute five SELECTs ???

If I use one "parepare sql command" and five "execute sql commands", the
log file shown what I typed, so I think it really used server side
prepared object!

Any comment?

Thanks.

Jie Liang

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Jie Liang wrote:

> Kirs,
>
> I re-compile with setUseServerPrepare(true), it works fine, thanks.
> However, reading from my log file, what I saw is that five same SELECTs
> with different argument, so I am wondering that the PrepareStatement
> really save time than individualy execute five SELECTs ???

This is what I see in the log file:

2004-06-17 11:55:35 [23254] LOG:  statement: PREPARE JDBC_STATEMENT_1(integer) AS SELECT  $1 ; EXECUTE
JDBC_STATEMENT_1(1)
2004-06-17 11:55:35 [23254] LOG:  statement: EXECUTE JDBC_STATEMENT_1(2)
2004-06-17 11:55:35 [23254] LOG:  statement: EXECUTE JDBC_STATEMENT_1(3)
2004-06-17 11:55:35 [23254] LOG:  statement: EXECUTE JDBC_STATEMENT_1(4)
2004-06-17 11:55:35 [23254] LOG:  statement: EXECUTE JDBC_STATEMENT_1(5)
2004-06-17 11:55:35 [23254] LOG:  statement: DEALLOCATE JDBC_STATEMENT_1

I don't know why this would be different for you.  What exact version of
the server and driver are you using?

Kris Jurka

Re: Prepare Statement

From
"Jie Liang"
Date:
Kris,
You are right, I modified that piece of code a little bit,
CallableStatement stmt = conn.prepareCall("{?=call chr(?)}");
Then my log file were:
Select * from chr(65) as result;
Select * from chr(66) as result;
However, if I use:
PrepareStatement stmt = conn.prepareStatement("SELECT chr(?)");
Then my log file are same as yours.i.e. it use PREPARE and EXECUTE.

So, I am getting confusion.
I think CallableStatement is extended from PrepareStatement, it should
have same behaviou.

Any comment?

Thanks.

Jie Liang

> I re-compile with setUseServerPrepare(true), it works fine, thanks.
> However, reading from my log file, what I saw is that five same
> SELECTs with different argument, so I am wondering that the
> PrepareStatement really save time than individualy execute five
> SELECTs ???

This is what I see in the log file:

2004-06-17 11:55:35 [23254] LOG:  statement: PREPARE
JDBC_STATEMENT_1(integer) AS SELECT  $1 ; EXECUTE JDBC_STATEMENT_1(1)
2004-06-17 11:55:35 [23254] LOG:  statement: EXECUTE JDBC_STATEMENT_1(2)
2004-06-17 11:55:35 [23254] LOG:  statement: EXECUTE JDBC_STATEMENT_1(3)
2004-06-17 11:55:35 [23254] LOG:  statement: EXECUTE JDBC_STATEMENT_1(4)
2004-06-17 11:55:35 [23254] LOG:  statement: EXECUTE JDBC_STATEMENT_1(5)
2004-06-17 11:55:35 [23254] LOG:  statement: DEALLOCATE JDBC_STATEMENT_1

I don't know why this would be different for you.  What exact version of

the server and driver are you using?

Kris Jurka

Re: Prepare Statement

From
Kris Jurka

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Jie Liang wrote:

> Kris,
> You are right, I modified that piece of code a little bit,
> CallableStatement stmt = conn.prepareCall("{?=call chr(?)}");
> Then my log file were:
> Select * from chr(65) as result;
> Select * from chr(66) as result;
> However, if I use:
> PrepareStatement stmt = conn.prepareStatement("SELECT chr(?)");
> Then my log file are same as yours.i.e. it use PREPARE and EXECUTE.
>
> So, I am getting confusion.
> I think CallableStatement is extended from PrepareStatement, it should
> have same behaviou.

What's happening here is that you can only use prepared statements for
certain operations.  You can't for example prepare a CREATE TABLE
statement.  The driver examines the query to see if it is valid for
preparing and I believe the problem here is that with a callable statement
it is examinging the query with "call" before it is transformed to a
SELECT, so it doesn't recognize it as a preparable.  This looks like a bug
to me.

Kris Jurka

Re: Prepare Statement

From
"Jie Liang"
Date:
Hmm, intersting.
I am using jdk 1.3.1, and pg74.213.jdbc2.jar driver, I hope this bug
could be fixed in later version.

Thanks.

Jie Liang

> You are right, I modified that piece of code a little bit,
> CallableStatement stmt = conn.prepareCall("{?=call chr(?)}"); Then my
> log file were: Select * from chr(65) as result;
> Select * from chr(66) as result;
> However, if I use:
> PrepareStatement stmt = conn.prepareStatement("SELECT chr(?)");
> Then my log file are same as yours.i.e. it use PREPARE and EXECUTE.
>
> So, I am getting confusion.
> I think CallableStatement is extended from PrepareStatement, it should

> have same behaviou.

What's happening here is that you can only use prepared statements for
certain operations.  You can't for example prepare a CREATE TABLE
statement.  The driver examines the query to see if it is valid for
preparing and I believe the problem here is that with a callable
statement
it is examinging the query with "call" before it is transformed to a
SELECT, so it doesn't recognize it as a preparable.  This looks like a
bug
to me.

Kris Jurka

Re: Prepare Statement

From
"Jie Liang"
Date:
Kris,
I have another question, I saw some discussion regarding
PreparedStatement work with array argument, I get a error when I try to
play with it.
E.g.
I have myfunction(int[]),
So,
PrepareStatement st = conn.prepareStatment("SELECT myfunction(?)");
String arr="{1,2,3}";
St.setString(1,arr};
Result rs = st.executeQuery();

Then it will complaint when it run:
Myfuntion(text) does not exist!

Did I miss something??

Thanks.

Jie Liang

> You are right, I modified that piece of code a little bit,
> CallableStatement stmt = conn.prepareCall("{?=call chr(?)}"); Then my
> log file were: Select * from chr(65) as result;
> Select * from chr(66) as result;
> However, if I use:
> PrepareStatement stmt = conn.prepareStatement("SELECT chr(?)");
> Then my log file are same as yours.i.e. it use PREPARE and EXECUTE.
>
> So, I am getting confusion.
> I think CallableStatement is extended from PrepareStatement, it should

> have same behaviou.

What's happening here is that you can only use prepared statements for
certain operations.  You can't for example prepare a CREATE TABLE
statement.  The driver examines the query to see if it is valid for
preparing and I believe the problem here is that with a callable
statement
it is examinging the query with "call" before it is transformed to a
SELECT, so it doesn't recognize it as a preparable.  This looks like a
bug
to me.

Kris Jurka

Re: Prepare Statement

From
Kris Jurka

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Jie Liang wrote:

> Kris,
> I have another question, I saw some discussion regarding
> PreparedStatement work with array argument, I get a error when I try to
> play with it.
> E.g.
> I have myfunction(int[]),
> So,
> PrepareStatement st = conn.prepareStatment("SELECT myfunction(?)");
> String arr="{1,2,3}";
> St.setString(1,arr};
> Result rs = st.executeQuery();
>
> Then it will complaint when it run:
> Myfuntion(text) does not exist!

This is actually a case where prepared statements actually cause trouble.
With the directly executed SELECT myfunction('{1,2,3}'); The backend can
determine that there is only one version of myfunction so it can convert
the unkown argument type to it, but note that this won't work if
myfunction is overloaded.

With the prepared case, you must tell it what types to use when doing the
prepare.  The JDBC driver doesn't have a whole lot of information to work
with, so it takes what it knows (that you called setString) and says the
argument is of type text, issuing a prepare like this:  PREPARE
JDBC_STATEMENT_1(text) AS SELECT myfunction($1);  At this time (before it
actually calls EXECUTE) it tries to lookup myfunction that takes a text
argument and determines there isn't one.  In this case it doesn't have the
opportunity to apply any casts because we were quite clear in specifying
that it should take a text argument, not one of unknown type.

Ideally you should be using setArray, but there is no existing way to
create Array objects and I'm not sure that code would work even if there
was.

Kris Jurka

Re: Prepare Statement

From
Kris Jurka

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Jie Liang wrote:

> Hmm, intersting.
> I am using jdk 1.3.1, and pg74.213.jdbc2.jar driver, I hope this bug
> could be fixed in later version.

I suppose, but I'm going to put it pretty close to the bottom of my todo
list because it still works even though it doesn't use a server prepared
statement, and as I mentioned earlier the performance improvement if any
will be minimal.  Have you done any testing to show that you are even
getting a performance gain?

Kris Jurka

Re: Prepare Statement

From
"Jie Liang"
Date:
Nope, I think you are right. The improvement of performance will be
minimal. Because that to parse "SELECT * FROM myfunction(?,?,?)" is very
very quick.
However, I am still thinking if I call one SELECT and one DELECT and one
UPDATE and one INSERT a thousand times against same table with different
arguments, should I consider performance iusse?

Secondly, I assume the function should be a pre-compiled object stored
on server side, doesn't it.

Thanks.

Jie Liang

> I am using jdk 1.3.1, and pg74.213.jdbc2.jar driver, I hope this bug
> could be fixed in later version.

I suppose, but I'm going to put it pretty close to the bottom of my todo

list because it still works even though it doesn't use a server prepared

statement, and as I mentioned earlier the performance improvement if any

will be minimal.  Have you done any testing to show that you are even
getting a performance gain?

Kris Jurka

Re: Prepare Statement

From
"Jie Liang"
Date:
So, I think that PreparedStatement should have a way at least case a
String to an Array or a way to create a Array, because of
conn.prepareStatement("SELECT myfunction('{1,2,3}')") is NOT very
useful.

Comment?

Jie Liang

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Jie Liang wrote:

> However, I am still thinking if I call one SELECT and one DELECT and one
> UPDATE and one INSERT a thousand times against same table with different
> arguments, should I consider performance iusse?

Right, this is a case where some benefits can be found, but remember the
premature optimization adage.

> Secondly, I assume the function should be a pre-compiled object stored
> on server side, doesn't it.

I depends on the language the function is written.  plpgsql caches plans,
but not all procedural languages do.

Kris Jurka

Re: Prepare Statement

From
Kris Jurka

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Jie Liang wrote:

> So, I think that PreparedStatement should have a way at least case a
> String to an Array or a way to create a Array, because of
> conn.prepareStatement("SELECT myfunction('{1,2,3}')") is NOT very
> useful.

Right, this is a known issue.  It's on the list.

Kris Jurka

Re: Prepare Statement

From
Oliver Jowett
Jie Liang wrote:
> So, I think that PreparedStatement should have a way at least case a
> String to an Array or a way to create a Array, because of
> conn.prepareStatement("SELECT myfunction('{1,2,3}')") is NOT very
> useful.

One way that might work in the current driver is to use PGobject, which
lets you specify the underlying typename to use:

   stmt = conn.preparedStatement("SELECT myfunction(?)");
   org.postgresql.util.PGobject obj = new PGobject();
   obj.setValue("'{1,2,3}'");
   obj.setType("int[]");
   stmt.setObject(1, obj);

Untested, but in theory this should work even with
setUseServerPrepare(true) in effect.

Also, if you search the archives, quite some time ago (a year?) I posted
a patch that implemented setArray() better, so that you could pass your
own Array implementation to it and have things work correctly. It's out
of date, but might give you a starting point.

-O

Re: Prepare Statement

From
"Jie Liang"
Date:
Nope, it will get same error msg:
Myfunction(text) does net exist

Jie Liang wrote:
> Nope, it will get same error msg:
> Myfunction(text) does net exist

Hm, indeed. I just looked at the code and the plain setObject() path
seems slightly broken: it always passes PG_TEXT, not the PGobject's type.

However, the setObject variant that takes a target SQL type seems ok.
Try this:

>    stmt.setObject(1, obj, Types.OTHER);

-O

Re: Prepare Statement

From
"Jie Liang"
Date:
It works.
Thanks.

Jie Liang

Hm, indeed. I just looked at the code and the plain setObject() path
seems slightly broken: it always passes PG_TEXT, not the PGobject's
type.

However, the setObject variant that takes a target SQL type seems ok.
Try this:

>    stmt.setObject(1, obj, Types.OTHER);

-O

Re: Prepare Statement