postgreSQL 7.2.3: jdbc compile problem

From
"Tim Barnard"
Date:
I'm having a problem compiling postgreSQL 7.2.3 which I downloaded from www.us.postgresql.org. I have Sun's 1.4.1_01 revision of java installed on my RedHat Linux (7.2) system [kernel revision is 2.4.18-17.7]. JAVA_HOME points to the SDK bin directory and ANT_HOME points to the bin directory of Ant-1.4.1. Ran postgreSQL's configure script, including --with-java. PostgreSQL builds fine if I exclude the "--with-java" directive. The build of the jdbc driver fails. Attached is an excerpt of the compiler's output.

Any ideas what might be wrong here? Any help would be appreciated!

FYI: The following "configure" script works. Adding --with-java to it causes the failure:

./configure --enable-locale --enable-multibyte --enable-syslog --with-CXX --with-openssl --with-perl

Thanks,

Tim Barnard

Attachment

Re: postgreSQL 7.2.3: jdbc compile problem

From
Lloyd Meinholz
Date:
I have the same problem and I've only partially solved it by including the javasoft jta in the classpath. I'm still getting other build errors. I have a similar setup but on a gentoo Linux box, same jdk and postgreSQL tarball. Has anyone else had this problem???

Lloyd

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Barnard [mailto:tbarnard@povn.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2000 11:48 PM
To: pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org
Subject: [JDBC] postgreSQL 7.2.3: jdbc compile problem

[...]

"Steve Kirby"
Date:
Hello,

I too did not succeed with "configure --with-java" for postgreSQL 7.2.3.  I
am running j2sdk1.4.1_01-b01, ant version 1.5.1, under RedHat 8.0.
Compiled fine without the with-java option. As a result  I'm about to try a
binary JDBC driver I downloaded.  Previously, I used pgjdbc2.jar with
success but it was with a different jdk I think, 1.3.1.  I also have
pg73b3jdbc3.jar on hand.  It seems the second, newer one I list is the one
I need.  Any recommendations?

Regards,

Steve

Lloyd Meinholz <Meinholz@bmpcoe.org>@postgresql.org on 11/15/2002 10:34:55
AM

Sent by:    pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org

[...]

Dave Cramer
Date:
The driver's code has changed significantly. If you have an old jar on
your classpath, or old class files, then it won't compile
make sure you remove the old class files from previous builds, and make
sure that you don't have an existing postgresql.jar on your classpath

Dave

Dave Cramer <Dave@micro-automation.net>

Re: postgreSQL 7.2.3: jdbc compile problem

From
Lloyd Meinholz

I had the 7.2.3 tarball and installed on a newly built system that I had never installed postgres on before. I've actually never even installed postgress before. So at least in my case, I don't think the problem is an old jar laying around. Are we supposed to have jta.jar on our classpath? This fixed some of the warnings anyway, but it wasn't documented that we needed that anywhere.

Is it better to get this code from CVS or is there a pot 7.2.3 tarball somewhere???

Thanks,

Lloyd

Date:
Lloyd,

I think there is a problem building that version with jdk 1.4, get the
latest from cvs or just d/l the binary.

Dave
On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 15:20, Lloyd Meinholz wrote:
> I had the 7.2.3 tarball and installed on a newly built system that I
> had never installed postgres on before. I've actually never even
> installed postgress before. So at least in my case, I don't think the
> problem is an old jar laying around. Are we supposed to have jta.jar
> on our classpath? This fixed some of the warnings anyway, but it
> wasn't documented that we needed that anywhere.
>
> Is it better to get this code from CVS or is there a pot 7.2.3 tarball
> somewhere???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lloyd

Barry Lind
Date:
Steve,

The 7.2 sources do not build under jdk1.4.  So if you want to build from
source you need a 1.3 jdk or use sources from 7.3.

If you are going to use one of the prebuild binaries, then I would
recommend the 7.3 one.  There have been a lot of fixes since 7.2.

thanks,
--Barry