Error: ClassNotFoundException

From
Craig Lawton
Date:
Hello All,

I'm a fairly experienced developer, however, a complete newbie when it
comes to using PostgreSQL and JDBC.  I have successfully installed
PostgreSQL on my Mac G4 running Mac OS X 10.1.  I'm able to start the DB
daemon (with -i extension), I've created and populated a database (can
query the database, etc.).  When I installed PostgreSQL, I created a
user account named "postgres" on my computer, and start the DB daemon
while logged onto that account (in a console window after logging into
the postgres account using 'su - postgres').  I've downloaded the
pre-compliled jdbc7.1-1.1.jar JDBC driver.  I put the JDBC driver file
in /usr/local/pgsql/share/java.  I've been trying to use JDBC to connect
to a database and started with Marc Liyanage's example source file.
When I try and run the executable after compilation I get an error.
Specifically, the line of code in
"Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");" returns the error
"java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.postgresql.Driver".  I'm at a bit
of a loss.  Do I have to register the JDBC driver?  If I do, how do I do
that?  Could this be because the PostgreSQL daemon is running from a
different account than I am running the JDBC test application from?  Did
I put the JDBC driver in the wrong directory?

Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Craig Lawton

Re: Error: ClassNotFoundException

From
Rene Pijlman
Date:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 21:34:37 -0600, you wrote:
>I have successfully installed
>PostgreSQL on my Mac G4 running Mac OS X 10.1.

I have no experience with this platform, but...

>"Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");" returns the error
>"java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.postgresql.Driver".

... typically means that the driver's jar file is not found or
cannot be read by the Java runtime.

Regards,
René Pijlman <rene@lab.applinet.nl>

Re: Error: ClassNotFoundException

From
"Jayesh K. Parayali"
Date:
export
CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/usr/local/pgsql/share/java/jdbc7.1-1.1.jar:.

You can keep ur driver anywhere but should be included in your CLASSPATH
environment variable.

Then execute ur program

Jayesh

Isaac Sparrow
Date:
On Saturday 27 October 2001 03:32 am, Rene Pijlman wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 21:34:37 -0600, you wrote:
> >I have successfully installed
> >PostgreSQL on my Mac G4 running Mac OS X 10.1.
>
> I have no experience with this platform, but...
>
> >"Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");" returns the error
> >"java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.postgresql.Driver".
>
> ... typically means that the driver's jar file is not found or
> cannot be read by the Java runtime.

Right. The JVM is telling you that the class "org.postgresql.Driver" is not
on your classpath. You need to add the jar containing the driver to your
classpath.

> Regards,
> René Pijlman <rene@lab.applinet.nl>

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Isaac Sparrow
Staff Engineer
VisiComp, Inc.
http://www.visicomp.com

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
1060 5A07 F6EC B2B3 9AAA 3EA5 7B79 EFE1 6397 4F47
Get my public key at:
http://www.concentric.net/~issparow

Latin is a language,
As dead as can be.
First it killed the Romans,
And now it's killing me.

Re: Error: ClassNotFoundException

From
Jeremy Buchmann
Date:
> I put the JDBC driver file in /usr/local/pgsql/share/java.

Craig,

Put the driver in /Library/Java/Home/lib/ext/ and see what happens.
That's what did the trick for me.

I'm still using 10.0.4, but I assume they didn't change that directory
in 10.1.

Jeremy Buchmann
Programmer / Systems Admin
Wells Gaming Research