Error: ClassNotFoundException - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Craig Lawton
Subject Error: ClassNotFoundException
Date
Re: Error: ClassNotFoundException  (Jeremy Buchmann <jeremy@wellsgaming.com>)
List pgsql-jdbc
Hello All,

I'm a fairly experienced developer, however, a complete newbie when it
comes to using PostgreSQL and JDBC.  I have successfully installed
PostgreSQL on my Mac G4 running Mac OS X 10.1.  I'm able to start the DB
daemon (with -i extension), I've created and populated a database (can
query the database, etc.).  When I installed PostgreSQL, I created a
user account named "postgres" on my computer, and start the DB daemon
while logged onto that account (in a console window after logging into
the postgres account using 'su - postgres').  I've downloaded the
pre-compliled jdbc7.1-1.1.jar JDBC driver.  I put the JDBC driver file
in /usr/local/pgsql/share/java.  I've been trying to use JDBC to connect
to a database and started with Marc Liyanage's example source file.
When I try and run the executable after compilation I get an error.
Specifically, the line of code in
"Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");" returns the error
"java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.postgresql.Driver".  I'm at a bit
of a loss.  Do I have to register the JDBC driver?  If I do, how do I do
that?  Could this be because the PostgreSQL daemon is running from a
different account than I am running the JDBC test application from?  Did
I put the JDBC driver in the wrong directory?

Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Craig Lawton