Where is src/interfaces/libpgtcl?

From
Palle Girgensohn
Date:
Hi!

the src/interfaces/libpgtcl has been removed from the main source. I guess
that's a good decision, but I think there could have been a CVS note about
where it went?

Perhaps I don't need it anymore? Which one of the newer interfaces below
can be used woth pgaccess?

I've found two tcl/tk implementations (at gborg):

- pgin.tcl, the "pure-TCL" implementation
- pgtcl-ng, the libpq-based "next generation" implementation

Which one is compatible with the old src/interfaces/libpgtcl ?

Thanks,
Palle

Re: Where is src/interfaces/libpgtcl?

From
L J Bayuk
Date:
On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 02:58:14AM +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Hi!
>
> the src/interfaces/libpgtcl has been removed from the main source. I guess
> that's a good decision, but I think there could have been a CVS note about
> where it went?
>
> Perhaps I don't need it anymore? Which one of the newer interfaces below
> can be used woth pgaccess?
>
> I've found two tcl/tk implementations (at gborg):
>
> - pgin.tcl, the "pure-TCL" implementation
> - pgtcl-ng, the libpq-based "next generation" implementation
>
> Which one is compatible with the old src/interfaces/libpgtcl ?

There are (at least) 3 PostgreSQL Tcl interfaces on gborg: http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgintcl/
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgtcl/http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgtclng/

All three offer supersets of the commands in the bundled Tcl interface
libpgtcl which was distributed with PostgreSQL through 7.4.6, except that
pgintcl can't do COPY FROM/TO in the same way.  Other incompatibilities
among the three are in extensions to the core commands, and bug fixes. So,
they are all mostly or entirely compatible with the old libpgtcl.

You should probably ask the Pgaccess people which versions they are using
and/or testing. At one point, they distributed pgintcl with their product;
it is written in Tcl and does not require compiling, so it ran with
Pgaccess with no building required.  But it is slower than the other two.
I only test pgintcl and pgtclng, and I use a separate test suite not
Pgaccess, so I don't know what works with Pgaccess.

Re: Where is src/interfaces/libpgtcl?

From
Brett Schwarz
Date:
--- Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> the src/interfaces/libpgtcl has been removed from
> the main source. I guess
> that's a good decision, but I think there could have
> been a CVS note about
> where it went?
>
> Perhaps I don't need it anymore? Which one of the
> newer interfaces below
> can be used woth pgaccess?
>
> I've found two tcl/tk implementations (at gborg):
>
> - pgin.tcl, the "pure-TCL" implementation
> - pgtcl-ng, the libpq-based "next generation"
> implementation

There's actually 3, libpgtcl, which is at gborg as
well.

> Which one is compatible with the old
> src/interfaces/libpgtcl ?

I think all 3 will be in general compatible with
src/interfaces/libpgtcl.

   --brett

Date:
On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 10:06:53AM +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Is anyone of these three projects a real descendant from the source in
> pg-7, or has that code reach ond-of-line completely?

The "Gborg pgtcl" project started from the PostgreSQL bundled libpgtcl
code.  The "Gborg pgtcl-ng" project started from both the PostgreSQL
bundled libpgtcl code and an earlier version of the "Gborg pgtcl" code.
So I would say both are descendants of the PostgreSQL bundled code, which
will be removed from the distribution starting with PostgreSQL 8.0.

The "Gborg pgintcl" project (the pure-Tcl one) started from scratch, by me,
in 1998. It is not a descendant of anything.

Re: Where is src/interfaces/libpgtcl?

From
Palle Girgensohn
Date:
Cool, thanks for shedding some light over this! ;-)

Regards,
Palle

--On måndag, november 15, 2004 20.36.49 -0500 L J Bayuk

Date:
Is anyone of these three projects a real descendant from the source in
pg-7, or has that code reach ond-of-line completely?

--On Sunday, November 14, 2004 18:40:58 -0800 Brett Schwarz