pgaccess form design

From
"John L. Turner"
Date:
By mistake, I named a Form's data box, starting with a Capital letter.
Received a message, but can not delete said offender.
I removed the control from the Form, but still I get an error when Form opens.

--
John Turner
http://home.ntelos.net/~JLT

Re: pgaccess form design

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, John L. Turner wrote:

> By mistake, I named a Form's data box, starting with a Capital letter.
> Received a message, but can not delete said offender.
> I removed the control from the Form, but still I get an error when Form opens.

I think you probably need to edit the formsource column in the pga_forms
table. I haven't done this myself, or looked too closely at the contents of the
table but I presume that your deletion of the form item hasn't been propagated
into the description held for the form in the database and that therefore you
need to make the deletion by hand.

You should be able to do this within pgaccess if I'm not mistaken.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---
Logictree Systems Limited
Computer Consultants

Re: pgaccess form design

From
"C. Maj"
Date:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Nigel J. Andrews waxed:

> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, John L. Turner wrote:
>
> > By mistake, I named a Form's data box, starting with a Capital letter.
> > Received a message, but can not delete said offender.
> > I removed the control from the Form, but still I get an error when Form opens.
>
> I think you probably need to edit the formsource column in the pga_forms
> table. I haven't done this myself, or looked too closely at the contents of the
> table but I presume that your deletion of the form item hasn't been propagated
> into the description held for the form in the database and that therefore you
> need to make the deletion by hand.
>
> You should be able to do this within pgaccess if I'm not mistaken.

I never tried this before, so I named a couple of buttons and entry
boxes on a form with starting Capitals.  Sure enough, after I saved, then
opened the form, it complained.  But to fix it I didn't have to go into
the pga_forms table.  I just designed the form again, changed the first
letter to lower case, and saved then opened it.  Works like a champ.

If I didn't get that bug correctly reproduced, please file a report at
bugzilla.pgaccess.org, so we can address the problem in more depth and
off-list.

--Chris Maj

--

cmaj_at_freedomcorpse_dot_info
0xC0051F6A

Re: pgaccess form design

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, C. Maj wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Nigel J. Andrews waxed:
>

> > On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, John L. Turner wrote:
> >
> > > By mistake, I named a Form's data box, starting with a Capital letter.
> > > Received a message, but can not delete said offender.
> > > I removed the control from the Form, but still I get an error when Form opens.
> >
> > I think you probably need to edit the formsource column in the pga_forms
> > table. I haven't done this myself, or looked too closely at the contents of the
> > table but I presume that your deletion of the form item hasn't been propagated
> > into the description held for the form in the database and that therefore you
> > need to make the deletion by hand.
> >
> > You should be able to do this within pgaccess if I'm not mistaken.
> >

> I never tried this before, so I named a couple of buttons and entry
> boxes on a form with starting Capitals.  Sure enough, after I saved, then
> opened the form, it complained.  But to fix it I didn't have to go into
> the pga_forms table.  I just designed the form again, changed the first
> letter to lower case, and saved then opened it.  Works like a champ.
>
> If I didn't get that bug correctly reproduced, please file a report at
> bugzilla.pgaccess.org, so we can address the problem in more depth and
> off-list.

Hmmm...in 0.98.7 if I create a label with the name Label1 and save it then when
I open it I get the error reported. When I 'design' the form again, which is
what I was assuming was part of the original report but obviously isn't, I
don't get the error but I can not simply edit the widget name to change the
uppercase letter to lowercase and save it. Looking at the backend logfile I see
a deletion of the form from pga_forms followed by a re-insertion . The INSERT
command still shows the capitalised Label1 name is being used. Further
experimentation seems to show that it's the editing of the widget name that is
not being handled correctly when the first letter is uppercase.

As I say this was on 0.98.7, I haven't got 0.98.8 yet.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---
Logictree Systems Limited
Computer Consultants

Re: pgaccess form design

From
"C. Maj"
Date:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Nigel J. Andrews waxed:

> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, C. Maj wrote:

> > > I think you probably need to edit the formsource column in the pga_forms
> > > table. I haven't done this myself, or looked too closely at the contents of the
> > > table but I presume that your deletion of the form item hasn't been propagated
> > > into the description held for the form in the database and that therefore you
> > > need to make the deletion by hand.
> > >
> > > You should be able to do this within pgaccess if I'm not mistaken.
> > >

> > I never tried this before, so I named a couple of buttons and entry
> > boxes on a form with starting Capitals.  Sure enough, after I saved, then
> > opened the form, it complained.  But to fix it I didn't have to go into
> > the pga_forms table.  I just designed the form again, changed the first
> > letter to lower case, and saved then opened it.  Works like a champ.
> >
> > If I didn't get that bug correctly reproduced, please file a report at
> > bugzilla.pgaccess.org, so we can address the problem in more depth and
> > off-list.
> >

> Hmmm...in 0.98.7 if I create a label with the name Label1 and save it then when
> I open it I get the error reported. When I 'design' the form again, which is
> what I was assuming was part of the original report but obviously isn't, I
> don't get the error but I can not simply edit the widget name to change the
> uppercase letter to lowercase and save it. Looking at the backend logfile I see
> a deletion of the form from pga_forms followed by a re-insertion . The INSERT
> command still shows the capitalised Label1 name is being used. Further
> experimentation seems to show that it's the editing of the widget name that is
> not being handled correctly when the first letter is uppercase.
>
> As I say this was on 0.98.7, I haven't got 0.98.8 yet.

Perhaps the key part here is hitting the "Enter" key when you change the
name of the label.  I think _only_ that updates the variable which contains
the name of the label.  (You are correct about the DELETE/INSERT handling,
the old form code is dropped immediately before the new code is put into
the pga_forms table.)

I will add this Capital Letter issue to bugzilla.pgaccess.org ASAP.

FYI, 0.98.8 isn't released yet.  The plan is out there for it, though.

--Chris Maj

--

Date:
On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, C. Maj wrote:

>  [stuff about editing a widget's name]
>
> Perhaps the key part here is hitting the "Enter" key when you change the
> name of the label.  I think _only_ that updates the variable which contains
> the name of the label.

I'm an idiot. :)

I guess I was subconsciously thinking the entry widget would be
tied to a variable or read during the save processing.

> I will add this Capital Letter issue to bugzilla.pgaccess.org ASAP.

It should be easy enough to add a validation command, I'll see if I can join
the developers list...

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---
Logictree Systems Limited
Computer Consultants

Re: pgaccess form design

From
"C. Maj"
Date:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Nigel J. Andrews waxed:

> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, C. Maj wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > I will add this Capital Letter issue to bugzilla.pgaccess.org ASAP.
>
> It should be easy enough to add a validation command, I'll see if I can join
> the developers list...

This has now been fixed in the PG Access CVS with such a validation.
You still have to hit the "Enter" key though to update.
Anonymous CVS instructions can be found at www.pgaccess.org

Thanks Nigel and John,
--Chris

--

cmaj_at_freedomcorpse_dot_info
0xC0051F6A
5EB8 2035 F07B 3B09 5A31  7C09 196F 4126 C005 1F6A

Re: pgaccess form design

From
"Iavor Raytchev"
Date:
> This has now been fixed in the PG Access CVS with such a validation.
> You still have to hit the "Enter" key though to update.
> Anonymous CVS instructions can be found at www.pgaccess.org

Before this fix the CVS had the 0.98.7 version form the web site of Teo. Now
Chris has added all his patches (as far as I am informed) and it is turn of
Bartus to add his. Then will be Boyan. The reason why we do it so carefully
is that large amount of patches has been accumulated and the simple sum,
even carefully done, did not work (we tried it).

Our current goal is to get a stable 0.98.8 with PostgreSQL 7.3 (unless
something else happens). Please, send all your bugs into
bugzilla.pgaccess.org or post them to the mailing lists. Especially valuable
are bugs from different platforms as it is a cross platform tool.

Iavor

--
www.pgaccess.org