Forms too complex or to large in pgaccess?

From
David Conners
Date:
Hi all,

I'm using PgAccess v0.98, postgreSQL 6.5.1, tcl 8.0.3-20 on a RedHat
5.2 machine.

Is there a limit on how large a form pgaccess can create?

I've created a form that displays records selected from three associated
tables. While adding buttons to which would update the tables with
information changed by the user, I reached a point at which I could not
save the form.  When I tried, a column the length of my screen is
displayed, showing what looks like a stack dump of the failed attempt to
write the form.  At this point PgAccess no longer responds.

WHen I try to start PgAccess again, I encounter various problems, It
won't start and complains about abnormal termination, or it starts but
one or more of my forms are missing.

To recover, I replace the associated pga_forms file with a good backup
copy.

The two UPDATE statements I'm trying to add total 1787 bytes.

I can add one, or the other can save the form.
I can't find a way to include both and have the save succeed.

ANy help or advise is appreciated.  I didn't want to burden the group
with big attachments, but if anyone would like to look at the forms
and such, I'd be more than happy to send them.

Thanks,

David Conners
davidthewise@earthlink.net

Re: [INTERFACES] Forms too complex or to large in pgaccess?

From
Constantin Teodorescu
Date:
David Conners wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using PgAccess v0.98, postgreSQL 6.5.1, tcl 8.0.3-20 on a RedHat
> 5.2 machine.
>
> Is there a limit on how large a form pgaccess can create?

Yes, the 8K record limit!
> I've created a form that displays records selected from three associated
> tables. While adding buttons to which would update the tables with
> information changed by the user, I reached a point at which I could not
> save the form.  When I tried, a column the length of my screen is
> displayed, showing what looks like a stack dump of the failed attempt to
> write the form.  At this point PgAccess no longer responds.

:-( . Yes I know! Seems that I have to redesign the form storage!

> WHen I try to start PgAccess again, I encounter various problems, It
> won't start and complains about abnormal termination, or it starts but
> one or more of my forms are missing.

Seems that it crashes the pga_forms.

> To recover, I replace the associated pga_forms file with a good backup
> copy.
>
> The two UPDATE statements I'm trying to add total 1787 bytes.
>
> I can add one, or the other can save the form.
> I can't find a way to include both and have the save succeed.
>
> ANy help or advise is appreciated.  I didn't want to burden the group
> with big attachments, but if anyone would like to look at the forms
> and such, I'd be more than happy to send them.

Send me directly (teo@flex.ro) a small database dump with your example
(table, forms).
I'll try to locate it and find a sollution

Teo

R.Hoellwarth@t-online.de (Ronald Hoellwarth)
Date:
Am Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 04:29:37PM -0500 schrieb David Conners:

> ANy help or advise is appreciated.

Well, I encountered the same problem and found the following solution.
I create scripts that do some stuff and then use the following code to
source the thinggummy.

DataControl(.kz.query)::setSQL "SELECT scriptsource FROM pga_scripts where scriptname = 'kz_bind';"
DataControl(.kz.query)::open
DataControl(.kz.query)::updateDataSet
set scriptcode $DataSet(.kz.query,scriptsource)
DataControl(.kz.query)::close
eval $scriptcode

> Thanks,

I hope it could solve the Problem.

Ahm. While dealing with this Problem I learned that long variable names are
good to read and understand their purpose, but on the other side they need
much of the precious space!! So - "as short as possible but as long as
needed" might get a well to remember sentence.

greetings from Crailsheim, Germany
ronald hoellwarth

--
Ronald Höllwarth    Registrierter Linux User #132865
<hoellwarth@yahoo.com>    GPG - SchluesselID 0x2F7A041A

Date:
Ronald Hoellwarth wrote:

> Am Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 04:29:37PM -0500 schrieb David Conners:
>
> > ANy help or advise is appreciated.
>
> Well, I encountered the same problem and found the following solution.
> I create scripts that do some stuff and then use the following code to
> source the thinggummy.
>
> DataControl(.kz.query)::setSQL "SELECT scriptsource FROM pga_scripts where scriptname = 'kz_bind';"
> DataControl(.kz.query)::open
> DataControl(.kz.query)::updateDataSet
> set scriptcode $DataSet(.kz.query,scriptsource)
> DataControl(.kz.query)::close
> eval $scriptcode

As I see, you choose to create scripts containing big code and call them
in the form source.

But, instead of finding them as you show us (with datacontrols) , why
don't you use this simple variant:

Scripts::execute "kz_bind"

Starting with version 0.98, PgAccess defines those namespaces (Forms,
Scripts, ...) that implement the simple commands "Open", "Execute",
"Design".

Please check if it works for you and drop me a note!

Teo

Date:
Am Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 09:53:01AM +0200 schrieb Constantin Teodorescu:

> But, instead of finding them as you show us (with datacontrols) , why
> don't you use this simple variant:
>
> Scripts::execute "kz_bind"
>
> Starting with version 0.98, PgAccess defines those namespaces (Forms,
> Scripts, ...) that implement the simple commands "Open", "Execute",
> "Design".
>
> Please check if it works for you and drop me a note!

Well. I commented the above code and added yours. As far as I see there is
no difference.

When I remember it right, I thought about this very short and simple
solution but didn't really know if there will be problems regarding the
namespaces - because: I HAD such problems but managed to solve them. The
somewhat more complex code I used assured me that the code in the script
will be executed as if it was a part of the code wherein it is sourced. It
was "my very own solution" which I was able to follow and understand. By
that way I learned more about namespaces and datacontrols.

As your version is definitly the shorter one I think it's the right way to
sail around the problem.

> Teo

thanks for the hint and for the tool!
ronald

--
Ronald Höllwarth    Registrierter Linux User #132865
<hoellwarth@yahoo.com>    GPG - SchluesselID 0x2F7A041A

Re: [INTERFACES] Forms too complex or to large in pgaccess?

From
David Conners
Date:
Thanks for all of your help!

The method described below addresses my dificulties quite handily.

David Conners

Constantin Teodorescu wrote:

> Ronald Hoellwarth wrote:
> >
> > Am Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 04:29:37PM -0500 schrieb David Conners:
> >
> > > ANy help or advise is appreciated.
> >
> > Well, I encountered the same problem and found the following solution.
> > I create scripts that do some stuff and then use the following code to
> > source the thinggummy.
> >
> > DataControl(.kz.query)::setSQL "SELECT scriptsource FROM pga_scripts where scriptname = 'kz_bind';"
> > DataControl(.kz.query)::open
> > DataControl(.kz.query)::updateDataSet
> > set scriptcode $DataSet(.kz.query,scriptsource)
> > DataControl(.kz.query)::close
> > eval $scriptcode
> >

> As I see, you choose to create scripts containing big code and call them
> in the form source.
>
> But, instead of finding them as you show us (with datacontrols) , why
> don't you use this simple variant:
>
> Scripts::execute "kz_bind"
>
> Starting with version 0.98, PgAccess defines those namespaces (Forms,
> Scripts, ...) that implement the simple commands "Open", "Execute",
> "Design".
>
> Please check if it works for you and drop me a note!
>
> Teo
>
> ************

Re: [INTERFACES] Forms too complex or to large in pgaccess?

From
David Conners
Date:
Hello,

Yes, I used the  - Scripts::execute "script_name" - to move some of the
larger segments of code out of the form and into scripts.  Worked like
a charm.

I also downloaded and installed your new version of pgaccess,
pgaccess-98.3.tar.gz

I haven't yet tried to save a form that surpassed the 8K record limit
(as I now know more about avoiding that situation),  It's good to  know
that I don't need to worry about losing my work should I surpass the 8K
limit.

Thanks again for your help.

David Conners

Date: