no more ODBC

From
Byron Nikolaidis
Date:
Hi all,

As you may or may not have known, I am currently unauthorized to make
any updates to the Insight web site for the odbc driver.  I have access
to the cvs tree at hub.org,  so I can make source code changes, but no
way that I know of to distribute binaries for Windows.

Also, I have no way of testing any changes to the driver since I don't
have a server running postgres to use.

It seems that the odbc driver should be kept at the Postgres site but I
don't know what's involved there.

Any suggestions?

Byron

Re: [INTERFACES] no more ODBC

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As you may or may not have known, I am currently unauthorized to make
> any updates to the Insight web site for the odbc driver.  I have access
> to the cvs tree at hub.org,  so I can make source code changes, but no
> way that I know of to distribute binaries for Windows.

I'd happily create an ODBC-bin directory (or similar) for you on the main
ftp site, which means all the mirrors would pick it up also, and we can
just as easily create an odbc 'sub-section' off the web site if you wish
to maintain that also...

> Also, I have no way of testing any changes to the driver since I don't
> have a server running postgres to use.

Anyone out there using ODBC that feels it is important enough to them to
help Byron out here? :)

Basically...tell me what you need and we'll do what we can to provide
it...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [INTERFACES] no more ODBC

From
Byron Nikolaidis

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As you may or may not have known, I am currently unauthorized to make
> > any updates to the Insight web site for the odbc driver.  I have access
> > to the cvs tree at hub.org,  so I can make source code changes, but no
> > way that I know of to distribute binaries for Windows.
>
> I'd happily create an ODBC-bin directory (or similar) for you on the main
> ftp site, which means all the mirrors would pick it up also, and we can
> just as easily create an odbc 'sub-section' off the web site if you wish
> to maintain that also...

Yeah, that would be great, on both issues.  I guess you already have access to the
html pages that Insight has on its site.  I would just need to update some links
for the download stuff to point to the bin directory, yes?

byron

Re: [INTERFACES] no more ODBC

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:
> > to the cvs tree at hub.org,  so I can make source code changes, but no
> > way that I know of to distribute binaries for Windows.
> > Also, I have no way of testing any changes to the driver since I don't
> > have a server running postgres to use.
>
> Anyone out there using ODBC that feels it is important enough to them to
> help Byron out here? :)

I'll volunteer to test -- but, unless Borland C/C++ 4.0 is good enough
to compile the beast, I cannot compile it.  As old as BC/C++ 4.0 is, I
doubt it is good enough.

But, like I said, I'll be more than happy to test, as I am using ODBC
rather heavily.  In fact, I might be willing to open a postgres server
for ODBC testing, given IP's, etc.

Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [INTERFACES] no more ODBC

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

> Yeah, that would be great, on both issues.  I guess you already have access to the
> html pages that Insight has on its site.  I would just need to update some links
> for the download stuff to point to the bin directory, yes?

Vince, can you work with Byron on creating an ODBC section of our WWW page
that matches our format, and that he can update as required?

Byron, we are using CVS for our WWW stuff...Vince will let you know what
you need to do...

Actually, just checked and we do have it:
/home/projects/pgsql/ftp/pub/odbc

Vince, can you get that worked in as appropriate?

Byron, I've just changed ownership of the above directory so that you can
modify what is in it, and upload your binaries up into it...:)

Let me know if I missed anything...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [INTERFACES] no more ODBC

From
Vince Vielhaber

I'm coming into this late so I'll have to catch up.  My 56K line has been
bouncing for a few days now (since some storms) and the fone company hasn't
gotten it fixed yet so my connectivity is a somewhat erratic.  I'll holler
back when I catch up a bit.

Vince.

On 26-Aug-99 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that would be great, on both issues.  I guess you already have access to the
>> html pages that Insight has on its site.  I would just need to update some links
>> for the download stuff to point to the bin directory, yes?
>
> Vince, can you work with Byron on creating an ODBC section of our WWW page
> that matches our format, and that he can update as required?
>
> Byron, we are using CVS for our WWW stuff...Vince will let you know what
> you need to do...
>
> Actually, just checked and we do have it:
>
>       /home/projects/pgsql/ftp/pub/odbc
>
> Vince, can you get that worked in as appropriate?
>
> Byron, I've just changed ownership of the above directory so that you can
> modify what is in it, and upload your binaries up into it...:)
>
> Let me know if I missed anything...
>
> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [INTERFACES] no more ODBC

From
Byron Nikolaidis

Lamar Owen wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:
> > > to the cvs tree at hub.org,  so I can make source code changes, but no
> > > way that I know of to distribute binaries for Windows.
>
> > > Also, I have no way of testing any changes to the driver since I don't
> > > have a server running postgres to use.
> >
> > Anyone out there using ODBC that feels it is important enough to them to
> > help Byron out here? :)
>
> I'll volunteer to test -- but, unless Borland C/C++ 4.0 is good enough
> to compile the beast, I cannot compile it.  As old as BC/C++ 4.0 is, I
> doubt it is good enough.

It's no problem for me to compile it on VC.   And now between you or Ken
Wright, looks like I can test out changes.  If there are specific apps you
need to test, I can provide you with a DLL.

Maybe there could be a directory for the latest and greatest DLL only, which
is not official, but may have the latest fixes.

Byron

Re: [INTERFACES] no more ODBC

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

> Lamar Owen wrote:
>
> > The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > Anyone out there using ODBC that feels it is important enough to them to
> > > help Byron out here? :)
> >
> > I'll volunteer to test -- but, unless Borland C/C++ 4.0 is good enough
> > to compile the beast, I cannot compile it.  As old as BC/C++ 4.0 is, I
> > doubt it is good enough.
> >

> It's no problem for me to compile it on VC.   And now between you or Ken
> Wright, looks like I can test out changes.  If there are specific apps you
> need to test, I can provide you with a DLL.
>
> Maybe there could be a directory for the latest and greatest DLL only, which
> is not official, but may have the latest fixes.

Do with the odbc directory that which you want...:)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org